HTC "TWO" (M8) rumors and other thoughts

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, exposure can be fixed in software. They're simplifying the technical details. The size of the pixel doesn't have anything to do with the light that is let in. There have been others who are far more knowledgable than me who have explained it in threads on here in the past.

Then why do they claim that it makes for better shots at night? Same with Apple, using 1.5 mP for their 5S camera because it's supposed to do the same...

Posted via Android Central App

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Then why do they claim that it makes for better shots at night? Same with Apple, using 1.5 mP for their 5S camera because it's supposed to do the same...

Posted via Android Central App
It does make for better shots in low light, but the size of the pixels doesn't change the amount of light that is let in. The shutter and aperture control light as I understand it.

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
where can i find the camera specs of the ONE? (lens specs, widest angle)? sometimes it feels a tad TOO narrow compared to other cameras.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC "TWO" (M8) rumors and other thoughts

It does make for better shots in low light, but the size of the pixels doesn't change the amount of light that is let in. The shutter and aperture control light as I understand it.
Then what is the point of larger pixels? I'm pretty sure that was the intended purpose. You can't control aperture on a smartphone...

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

Then what is the point of larger pixels? I'm pretty sure that was the intended purpose. You can't control aperture on a smartphone...
The larger pixels allow for better low light pictures, but they don't change how much light is let in. I'm not sure how I can say this any differently to make it more clear.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

And that's inaccurate, the pixels are on the sensor, they don't have an impact on the light coming in. Here's some really quality posts from warpdrive in this thread. He explains it a lot better than I can.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/265719-ultrapixel-camera-question.html#post2682175

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

And that's inaccurate, the pixels are on the sensor, they don't have an impact on the light coming in. Here's some really quality posts from warpdrive in this thread. He explains it a lot better than I can.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/265719-ultrapixel-camera-question.html#post2682175
I like how you were claiming exactly what I am here :p
I'd still take the words of TechRadar over some random guy who claims to be a photographer but can't spell "sensor" correctly

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

I like how you were claiming exactly what I am here
Exactly! I was being fed the same misinformation you were. You are welcome to believe what you like. As I said, it's just a simplification of the actual technology and isn't really a critical point, the end result is that it takes better low light images. The only reason I brought it up is that it was mentioned that the same tech that allowed the One to take better low light images may also be to blame for over exposed images. Because the larger pixels don't actually let in more light, as they're on the sensor and the light has already been let in at that point, they can't be to blame for over-exposure. The increased dynamic range can be used by the image processing software to produced images that are over-exposed, but that would be because the image processing software is doing a crappy job.

I'd recommend that you don't base your conclusion on either source. Do 30 mins worth of research, as I did, figure out how the tech works and it will become pretty clear how larger sensor pixels impact the images.

Grizzly_Atoms

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
As a long time iPhone owner (4 models worth) I am still loving my One, even more with 4.2 now. But I will agree with the OP that the camera on MY PHONE is average, and that's being generous. I hope that HTC ups the MPs to at least 8 and fixes all of the purple/pink hazing and focus issues a lot of people have with the new version of the phone.

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
As a long time iPhone owner (4 models worth) I am still loving my One, even more with 4.2 now. But I will agree with the OP that the camera on MY PHONE is average, and that's being generous. I hope that HTC ups the MPs to at least 8 and fixes all of the purple/pink hazing and focus issues a lot of people have with the new version of the phone.

now also FOCUS ISSUES?? what issues??

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
i plan to buy a used Device, until the next model will come out, that's why i'm worried. what's the best way if checking for purple haze?

Only way would be to take some pics. Maybe whoever you buy it from will take some date stamped pics for you. I realize there's still a risk - but you can lessen the risk a little.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
now also FOCUS ISSUES?? what issues??

This is FUD. SOME people have reported issues with their One camera. SOME. Not "a lot". There are millions of Ones in the wild - some have hardware issues.

If you think the One has more issues than another phone - then go buy the other phone. If you think there's a phone that has NO issues - then go buy that.

Even the beloved iPhone has issues - like blue screen of death (lol), wifi connectivity, email/cloud syncing issues.

I'm not picking on the OP, its just reckless to throw the One, or any phone under the bus because some people have had issues with a consumer electronic device. It happens, every time with every device.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
This is FUD. SOME people have reported issues with their One camera. SOME. Not "a lot". There are millions of Ones in the wild - some have hardware issues.

If you think the One has more issues than another phone - then go buy the other phone. If you think there's a phone that has NO issues - then go buy that.

Even the beloved iPhone has issues - like blue screen of death (lol), wifi connectivity, email/cloud syncing issues.

I'm not picking on the OP, its just reckless to throw the One, or any phone under the bus because some people have had issues with a consumer electronic device. It happens, every time with every device.
+1 on the Blue screen of death LOL

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
finally i found a store that had HTC ONE available to play with (not so easy here).
felt smooth, nice, good UI.
but now - i feel like the screen should be a bit bigger. i played with the Note 3 and i gotta say i dig the big screens.
G2 is ideal size IMO. but i hate both Samsung and G2 UI's.

geez, i guess i'll sleep on in a bit more :/

btw - i also read that the ONE fails to support some video codecs, or have difficulties playing them.
i plan to watch a lot of streamed movies from my pc. so will this be a problem?
i need a very codec friendly device.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I love the htc one. It's one of the best phones ever. But u can't go wrong with any of the above phones. For me note 3 is too big.

Sent From S4 I9500 Crash Rom V 11.0

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rezaking886