I don't care what they say, removable batteries are where its at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's fair to say I need to charge mine 2 or 3 times a day. My s7edge I had before this G5 would probably only need charged again in the afternoon and go all night again

Posted via the Android Central App

Under normal circumstances regardless of which phone or battery size I usually charge a phone up once before I leave work regardless of need. Based on my usage I have never gotten a full day out of anything unless it sat on my desk most of the time. Your mileage may vary.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm astounded (and disappointed) that Motorola went to the trouble of putting a removable back on their Z phones, but didn't make the battery removable.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm astounded (and disappointed) that Motorola went to the trouble of putting a removable back on their Z phones, but didn't make the battery removable.

But at least you can add the battery mod which should add to your chargeless experiance.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The Moto Z doesn't have a removable back. The style mod isn't the back of the device, the device is totally fine to use without any mods on it at all, and though I think that's weird, that's the true back of the device. Making it have a removable back would have eliminated the possibility of it being thin enough for the mods not to make it too ungainly. They just made a 5 mm thick phone. Making the battery removable would have probably turned it into an at least 7 mm, if not 8 mm phone. Many of us would have said, "MAKE THE TRADE! GIVE US A 4500 mAh battery or a removable battery and screw thinness! But that'd come along with selling almost zero mods and being a phone that only the nerds want. Regular people don't want super thick phones and the Z is definitely a phone made to be sold in Verizon stores to regular people.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought when you could get a spare battery and the "coffin" charger. I also bought another spare battery. Never carry a wire now.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought when you could get a spare battery and the "coffin" charger. I also bought another spare battery. Never carry a wire now.

I still carry a charger but if I'm in situations where it is more convenient to swap out batteries I then do so. 0 to 100 in 5 seconds

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Let me just say regardless, I'm quite happy with my LG G5. I took the phone to a nearby anime convention last week, and it sure got me through the day, taking pics and videos of the panels they had. Best camera I have used on a phone (I've gone through 3 others). Plus, what other phones have replaceable batteries anymore?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Let me just say regardless, I'm quite happy with my LG G5. I took the phone to a nearby anime convention last week, and it sure got me through the day, taking pics and videos of the panels they had. Best camera I have used on a phone (I've gone through 3 others). Plus, what other phones have replaceable batteries anymore?

I'm happy too but I may jump to the V20 when it hits if it offers something substantial or excitingly different.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The mindset of Android owners have changed over the years. That's really too bad. When Android turns into iPhone, it'll be too late for damage control.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
In 2016, it's unacceptable to have phones that can't get you from morning until bed without a top up. I understand this is the norm, but it still sucks.
It depends on how a person uses their phone. One of my phones will last a month without a charge and my Note 5 which is my daily driver is still on 70% at the end of the day.
My wife's S7 is at about 65% at the end of the day.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It depends on how a person uses their phone. One of my phones will last a month without a charge and my Note 5 which is my daily driver is still on 70% at the end of the day.
My wife's S7 is at about 65% at the end of the day.

Anyone who actually uses their phone for a good portion of the day and also uses its smart features ie not turning off background app refresh, push notifications, Bluetooth and data etc will rarely make it to the end of the day without at least one charge. My s7 edge and iphone 6s Plus are probably the only phones I've owned that even come close. My G5 needs recharged 2 or 3 times a day

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Anyone who actually uses their phone for a good portion of the day and also uses its smart features ie not turning off background app refresh, push notifications, Bluetooth and data etc will rarely make it to the end of the day without at least one charge. My s7 edge and iphone 6s Plus are probably the only phones I've owned that even come close. My G5 needs recharged 2 or 3 times a day

I leave Wi-Fi and mobile data on all the time and all apps, Google Photos, Google account and Samsung account are all set up to sync with mobile data.
I leave Bluetooth off because I don't have anything that connects with Bluetooth.
I'm either driving 18 wheelers or operating heavy equipment at work so I may only have 1.5 hours screen on time in a 12 hour day.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Non-removable batteries are all about building obsolescence into phones and time constraints before the next model release. Engineering takes time, parts sourcing, building, testing, spares production, etc. Anytime you want to release something new, time constraints is your #1 enemy. Samsung is also touting IP specs with their phones, (the new "big" thing), and having a removable battery, along with these specs, is not a good thing. So... they're sacrificing the battery, and at the same time banking that customers will grow to accept it. They tried it with the SD, and it didn't work, no matter the PR, or BS on this very forum, about how much better the internal memory was on the Note 5, and that you didn't need an SD, or that SD's are on the way out. Total BS! If you can refute this, then tell me why they're now pushing how great the Note 7 is at supporting 256gb SD's! Also, what's the word nowadays about the internal memory of the Note 7? It's a forgotten subject... lost with the Note 5... naturally!

It's not that they "can't" release the phone with a removable battery. It's not because there's no room, or they can't gain the style. It's because they don't want to invest money and resources in something they know will change in the next 10 - 12 months. Its all about money and Samsung is finding that a lot of customers are willing to put up with it. Samsung doesn't care about what customers want any more than any other manufacture. Cash is King! Sadly, the major point of Samsung used to be the removable battery and how you can be free of always having to plug into a charger. That philosophy... Where the heck did it go? Answer: Cash is King!

As for my usage, I cycle my Note 4 batteries every two charge cycles. Most of the time my major reason for swapping is only because I'm too lazy to sit and wait for my battery to charge, or I forgot to charge it the night before.

I tend to agree with the OP.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Maybe Samsung has done a lot of research and discovered there are more people that could care less about a removable battery then there are people that do care about a removable battery.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Design means a lot. My Note 4 physically made my hands ache at the end of a work day. It was too heavy for me. I don't care if the battery lasted for 20 days, if it us too heavy, too thick, cumbersome, it doesn't do well for me and many others.

Samsung also isn't doing this to make money, there are customers that buy the new phone every year.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Maybe Samsung has done a lot of research and discovered there are more people that could care less about a removable battery then there are people that do care about a removable battery.

That's not a maybe; they unequivocally said that. These decisions about what to put into devices are data driven and as the largest OEM, they have the most data about how people use devices.

If you can refute this, then tell me why they're now pushing how great the Note 7 is at supporting 256gb SD's! Also, what's the word nowadays about the internal memory of the Note 7? It's a forgotten subject... lost with the Note 5... naturally!

The S6 and Note 5 lost SD cards for two reasons. 1. SD card support was broken in Lollipop and they hadn't solved fixing it yet 2. They didn't have the time/money to figure out how to do better design, waterproofing and the SD card slot, so for 2015 they chose fixing the design and in 2016 they reintroduced the other two.

As for your "can't" release phones with removable battery comments, you started out correct and then went somewhere else. The removable battery is 100% a cost/benefits issue - and the costs far outweigh the benefits according to Samsung's data of how people use phones. The built in obsolescence comments are just false. No OEM is designing a phone that will predictably die soon so that you have to buy another. Anyone found doing that would be instantly out of business and customers would go buy the phones that they feel are well built and will last. If you want your Note 4 or Note 5 or Note 7 to last for 2-3 years - and you take care of it - it will. If you want to replace it after 6-9 months, you can. That part is always up to the consumer. The most likely thing that will go wrong with devices, unless they are dropped and physically broken, is that 2-3 years after release they'll be so far behind on software that they just start getting buggy. That's what is happening with the Note 4 right now. The hardware is still fine, but the software becoming outdated and apps are breaking and it's exposed to more and more security vulnerabilities.

And having a larger battery in a device with better battery life can hardly be called "sacrificing battery". I'd much rather have a phone with a larger battery, more efficient SoC and display that sips power and lasts at least a full day, if not a day and a half or two days than have one that needs to be charged or swapped daily.

People forget the Note 4 had a removable battery that was larger than the Note 5 and yet the Note 5 had better battery life. The Note 7 takes the Note 5, gets an even more efficient SoC and makes the battery 1/6 bigger.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Here's the thing that needs to be pushed into the foundation of analyzing phones: No OEM's are sabotaging user experiences. Every single one of them is making a list of priorities of what the best things they can do within their budget and hardware constraints (size, shape, what products are available, etc) can be and trying to get the maximum number of things from that list into the device. If what you want isn't on that list ... they're not doing anything to you or anything against you; it's just that the best device they could create within their constraints includes priorities other than your personal priorities. The constraints vary based on the pricing and market of the device. That's important too. And in some cases, there just isn't enough time or money or space in a device to have all the critical items and choices have to be made... and there are trade-offs that have to be weighed to make those decisions. But at the end of the day... Every OEM is trying to make the best device possible within their constraints. If you start looking at every phone from that perspective, a lot of the conspiracy theories and comments about ulterior motives fall away and you're left with a better understanding of what their vision of the market consists of. I think that perspective can help.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think we've beat a dead horse here. The people that don't like removable batteries can't be swayed any more than those that do. Hence the title of my original post:

"I don't care what they say, removable batteries are where its at."

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The LG G5 made a conscious decision to move it's audiophile technology into a module. That's a weird decision to make from a consumer perspective. But what if LG had data that said, a small minority of consumers really want that functionality and are willing to pay a premium for it, but most people don't care at all. In that context, the decision to offload that into a module makes perfect sense. Make a phone for the masses that they felt was well executed, looks great, rings their bells... and give the ability for the super-eared people to add on what they really want while keeping that same phone. Doesn't work for me personally, but that could be said to be a data-driven decision weighing cost/benefit of the priority list and finding a way to be more attractive to a larger audience that fully escaped them in the LG G4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvltech