I got the OK

lillygirl7

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
So my hubby says I can get a tablet. I obviously really want the 12.2, but I just saw Amazon has the 10.1 $449 that's $200 less than the 12.2. Now I feel a little greedy and selfish if I go with the 12.2. What should I do?

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There are pros and cons to both. One is a screen size difference. Another is overall weight. 2" doesn't sound like much, but that can equate to a lot of extra metal, silicone, glass, and battery, probably causing it to go up in a few ounces of weight. Now imagine holding that extra 3 ounces for an hour....

lillygirl7

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Do you have yours in a case?
Does it get heavy over time?
I want one right now, but since I have the go ahead I'm confused which to buy because of the cost difference. Yesterday there was only $100 difference, which is easy for me to justify, but today $200 difference and that makes it a harder decision.
Just a side note - I can't believe no one has a kickstand device that can be adhered to the back. I have a case for my Note 3 with a kickstand and I use it 24/7. Plus I can get a better grip on my phone so I can't drop it.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Just a side note - I can't believe no one has a kickstand device that can be adhered to the back. I have a case for my Note 3 with a kickstand and I use it 24/7. Plus I can get a better grip on my phone so I can't drop it.

The case I have has a 3 position tilt stand plus it swivels in the center to switch from landscape to portrait (although I rarely use portrait mode). I'll find the link to it and post back.

mickeylittle777

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on being able to get a tablet. I've had both the 10.1 and the 12.2 and since I'm 55 I love the larger screen as it makes the web sites much easier for me to see. If you are young/good eyes this may not matter to you. If you don't plan to use multiple apps on the screen at one time this may not matter to you.

As for a case with so great angles for under $20. I've been using this one every day for over 6 months now and it still looks like new.

Amazon.com: Moko Samsung Galaxy Note PRO & Tab PRO 12.2 Case - Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart-shell Stand Case for Galaxy NotePRO & TabPRO 12.2 Android Tablet, BLACK (With Smart Cover Auto Wake / Sleep): Computers & Accessories

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
The case I have has a 3 position tilt stand plus it swivels in the center to switch from landscape to portrait (although I rarely use portrait mode). I'll find the link to it and post back.

This is the case I mentioned above. One thing that is handy about it is the center circle indentation. I use this to grip the tablet with my finger tips when I walk with the case closed. I can more securely carry it with my hand pointing down in a natural position. And it's less strain/fatigue on hand and arm muscles this way too.

It also has a holder for an additional stylus if you need that. Overall it does not add much weight or bulk to the tablet and it very versatile with 3 positions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HX...20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3914230#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on being able to get a tablet. I've had both the 10.1 and the 12.2 and since I'm 55 I love the larger screen as it makes the web sites much easier for me to see. If you are young/good eyes this may not matter to you. If you don't plan to use multiple apps on the screen at one time this may not matter to you.

As for a case with so great angles for under $20. I've been using this one every day for over 6 months now and it still looks like new.

Amazon.com: Moko Samsung Galaxy Note PRO & Tab PRO 12.2 Case - Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart-shell Stand Case for Galaxy NotePRO & TabPRO 12.2 Android Tablet, BLACK (With Smart Cover Auto Wake / Sleep): Computers & Accessories
I have the same Moko case and enjoy it. I chose it because I have the same case on my Nexus 7 and still think it is a great design.

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Ask yourself what will I mostly use it for: if any of the answers involve video, drawing, a lot of note-taking, even a lot of you-tube, the bigger screen makes a big difference. If mainly for storing contacts, messaging, skyping with friends, maybe not so much. Even two-finger typing on the screen keyboard is so much easier on the bigger screen with its big virtual keyboard.
The case mentioned above looks very neat, with multiple angles, especially the way it accommodates portrait use.
I bought a Snugg case, which has a small strap to put your hand through to make holding with one hand while using the other a lot more secure, less likely to drop it. See:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3914433.
I have the 12.2" Note Pro, and love it, but you might also look at the new Tab S 10.5", although some reviews take lots of stars off for its intrusive bloatware:
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 Review: Has Samsung ruined its best tablet with its TouchWiz software? - Good Gear Guide by PC World Australia

Also, are you going for the wifi version, or the full LTE version (with its own sim for phone and internet built in)?
Go to a store with both the 10" and 12.2" and compare. Feel the weight of both. (but remember the Snugg case with the handstrap, if you feel a little intimidated by the weight and size).
And good luck in making the right choice!

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Ask yourself what will I mostly use it for: if any of the answers involve video, drawing, a lot of note-taking, even a lot of you-tube, the bigger screen makes a big difference.

Very good points. I agree, the extra 2" makes a huge difference in usability for note taking. You have more area to rest your hand on the screen and don't have to zoom in/out or pan around to see your content. It's all just right there in front of you.

Even two-finger typing on the screen keyboard is so much easier on the bigger screen with its big virtual keyboard.

Absolutely! I am a two finger typer (sometimes I get 3 or four fingers going) but I can fly on this keyboard with how wide the screen is. It's a joy to type on.

With the S-Pen, the handwriting recognition in the special handwriting keyboard is unbelievably accurate when converting to text. I have to try really hard to be sloppy to trip up this tablet. Well done Samsung!

lillygirl7

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I LOVE this tablet so far. The size is great. I cannot believe how amazing the S Pen is to use on this device. It's so natural feeling.

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I use the same case everyone has mentioned already, and love it. I personally got the black leather, and it looks like my nice notepad portfolios that I use for work, so it just blends in on my dest.

There is a i-Blason case that has the kick stand like you are talking about, and looks more like something otterbox would make. I also got the Mr Shield screen protector. Make sure to pick that up, its easier to put it on without dust or bubbles when you install it right after taking the protective cover off.

Otherwise, enjoy the 12.2. You won't regret it.

lillygirl7

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I use the same case everyone has mentioned already, and love it. I personally got the black leather, and it looks like my nice notepad portfolios that I use for work, so it just blends in on my dest.

There is a i-Blason case that has the kick stand like you are talking about, and looks more like something otterbox would make. I also got the Mr Shield screen protector. Make sure to pick that up, its easier to put it on without dust or bubbles when you install it right after taking the protective cover off.

Otherwise, enjoy the 12.2. You won't regret it.

Do you have the rotating one or the other one? I ordered the rotating version. I also got the logitech keyboard, ordered a Samsung 64gb SD card and 9000mah portable battery charger. Anything else I should know about?

lillygirl7

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
So, you got one? Or are you just testing it in Best Buy?

I GOT one!!!! Eeeeeeee so excited I love it. I also ordered the case you told me about. Thank you for the suggestion. I might order the other one everyone loves too. But I will wait until I see yours. I had a rotational one for my old note 2, but it was Really junky so I never used it. I hope the one you recommended is better quality. It definitely looks better in the pics. I ordered black. Might order red too. What color did you get?

lillygirl7

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Ask yourself what will I mostly use it for: if any of the answers involve video, drawing, a lot of note-taking, even a lot of you-tube, the bigger screen makes a big difference. If mainly for storing contacts, messaging, skyping with friends, maybe not so much. Even two-finger typing on the screen keyboard is so much easier on the bigger screen with its big virtual keyboard.
The case mentioned above looks very neat, with multiple angles, especially the way it accommodates portrait use.
I bought a Snugg case, which has a small strap to put your hand through to make holding with one hand while using the other a lot more secure, less likely to drop it. See:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3916251.
I have the 12.2" Note Pro, and love it, but you might also look at the new Tab S 10.5", although some reviews take lots of stars off for its intrusive bloatware:
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 Review: Has Samsung ruined its best tablet with its TouchWiz software? - Good Gear Guide by PC World Australia

Also, are you going for the wifi version, or the full LTE version (with its own sim for phone and internet built in)?
Go to a store with both the 10" and 12.2" and compare. Feel the weight of both. (but remember the Snugg case with the handstrap, if you feel a little intimidated by the weight and size).
And good luck in making the right choice!

I really really like the snugg case except I don't like cases with leather around the front. I wish they made it with just a snap in case part. Darn.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I GOT one!!!! Eeeeeeee so excited I love it. I also ordered the case you told me about. Thank you for the suggestion. I might order the other one everyone loves too. But I will wait until I see yours. I had a rotational one for my old note 2, but it was Really junky so I never used it. I hope the one you recommended is better quality. It definitely looks better in the pics. I ordered black. Might order red too. What color did you get?

Congratulations! I can't tell if you are excited or not (just kidding).

My case is good quality, but can't really compare to any other. I got the indigo color.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the 12.2 and a tab s 10.1. The main thing I use the 12.2 for is stuff the mouse and keyboard are good for; like office work. The tab s has a good keyboard too but the 12.2 is better for projects or reading .pdf s. Both are about equal for video. The 12.2 is faster by a little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781