I have a Nexus 4, you have questions. Fire away.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Played with one last night at T-Mobile - build quality is awesome & quad-core really flies!

Can't wait to get mine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
What's your opinion on the screen? Love it? Hate it? Meh?

I tried a couple of O2 shops and in both of them I managed to get my hands on the not-yet-on-display display model Nexus 4 (though the staff seemed anxious to return it back to the cupboard). Everything is amazing. Using it just felt surreal because it's so responsive and also I hadn't ever used Chrome on a phone with an LCD. Really showed up the Galaxy Nexus's AMOLED with how bright, clear and noise-free it was. The fact that colours didn't pop like on an AMOLED was more or less made up for by the fact that it was a lot brighter.

I didn't get to properly use it, though. Like I said, the staff wanted to get it back to the cupboard pretty quick. Still, it's a world away from the Galaxy Nexus in every aspect.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
What's your opinion on the screen? Love it? Hate it? Meh?

I prefer how the glass feels compared to my Gnex & overall looks nicer IMO.
I'll be checking it out again tonight since there was a line behind me and didn't wanna hog it.
There's 2 stores in a few blocks that have it on display, fortunately but neither will get new stock this month is what they both told me :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I tried a couple of O2 shops and in both of them I managed to get my hands on the not-yet-on-display display model Nexus 4 (though the staff seemed anxious to return it back to the cupboard). Everything is amazing. Using it just felt surreal because it's so responsive and also I hadn't ever used Chrome on a phone with an LCD. Really showed up the Galaxy Nexus's AMOLED with how bright, clear and noise-free it was. The fact that colours didn't pop like on an AMOLED was more or less made up for by the fact that it was a lot brighter.

I didn't get to properly use it, though. Like I said, the staff wanted to get it back to the cupboard pretty quick. Still, it's a world away from the Galaxy Nexus in every aspect.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

I still have my internationl S3 so can compare the two side by side and I do not find my Nexus 4 brighter than the S3, the S3 is actually noticeably brighter when both are set to max. The colors are slightly less vibrant for lack of a better word on the Nexus but I don't find that to be a plus or a minus. Overall I rate the Nexus screen an incremental improvement over the S3 screen with sharpness being the most noticeable visual improvement. Whites are much better on my Nexus 4 and blacks are better on the S3. As far as non-visual improvements go it does feel "smoother" than the S3 and now that I'm used to it I love the curved sides of the glass. Additionally it seems as tho whats on the screen is closer to your finger when using the device, at times because it is so responsive it's almost like there is a physical connection between your fingertip and what you are touching on the screen.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey Phil thanks for the thread. I'm very seriously considering this phone, I am however worried about the non-removable back. Not for the reason most are, that I can't swap it out in a pinch when i need more juice. I've never done that anyway. I'm worried about the possibility of a battery going bad. It's happened to me before when I had my original Samsung Galaxy and it was nice to be able to hit up at&t and have them hand a new battery to fix the problem. Any thoughts on this? That's really the only worry kinda holding me back at this point.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey Phil thanks for the thread. I'm very seriously considering this phone, I am however worried about the non-removable back. Not for the reason most are, that I can't swap it out in a pinch when i need more juice. I've never done that anyway. I'm worried about the possibility of a battery going bad. It's happened to me before when I had my original Samsung Galaxy and it was nice to be able to hit up at&t and have them hand a new battery to fix the problem. Any thoughts on this? That's really the only worry kinda holding me back at this point.

The back is removable. And the battery can be replaced. It just requires removing a few screws to do it.

Motorola Photon 4G

hrbngr

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
JL13,

check the anandtech review, they disassemble the phone to look at the components, the only tricky bit appears to be some tape covering the battery that can be removed, but will probably void the warranty if it is still under one.

Taking apart the Nexus 4 is surprisingly simple, so much so that I?ve taken my Nexus 4 review unit apart fully, twice. There are two Torx T?4 screws at the bottom which come out, after which the back cage pulls off after you use a plastic separator tool to get past some clips holding it on. If you?re interested in replacing the battery you can pretty much stop here, there are two screws holding the battery connector onto the mainboard, and the battery is held in place with a square outline of double sided tape...

AnandTech - Google Nexus 4 Review - Google's new Flagship

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone!
What is the "proper" way to "break in" and charge your new Nexus 4? I assume it has some juice right out of the box, but did you guys use it immediately and drain it to 0% and then do full night's charge the 1st night? Or did you all use it for a couple hours say till 20% and then charge it to 100% that 1st night?

I'm wondering do I use it just to get the basics set up/downloaded on the phone when I get it and then charge it immediately to 100% before "full" use on Tuesday? I'm leaving on a 10hr drive early Tues AM, and want to use it along the way to test out the TMO signal and battery life. But wondering if the phone needs that 8hr+ overnight charge first on the 1st night.
Thanks!

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
dude it's a phone. I know you're excited, but it is a phone. Charges just like the rest of them. With that said,I can't wait to get one.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The one I looked at looked lovely but then ... I've got an Amaze, which to me has a much crisper, clearer screen than the Gnex or SGS2. I thought it looked as good or better than my Nexus 7

do they have demo units in T-mobile store. I would like to take a look at while I wait for my unit(back ordered).
It could save me a trip to T-mobile store if there is none.

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
do they have demo units in T-mobile store. I would like to take a look at while I wait for my unit(back ordered).
It could save me a trip to T-mobile store if there is none.

Only certain stores even sell them, you'll need to find the one that is in your area and then call and ask. The one I bought mine at, had a display unit but they had not yet put it out when I bought mine.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone!
What is the "proper" way to "break in" and charge your new Nexus 4? I assume it has some juice right out of the box, but did you guys use it immediately and drain it to 0% and then do full night's charge the 1st night? Or did you all use it for a couple hours say till 20% and then charge it to 100% that 1st night?

I'm wondering do I use it just to get the basics set up/downloaded on the phone when I get it and then charge it immediately to 100% before "full" use on Tuesday? I'm leaving on a 10hr drive early Tues AM, and want to use it along the way to test out the TMO signal and battery life. But wondering if the phone needs that 8hr+ overnight charge first on the 1st night.
Thanks!
Yes.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Thanks!

Newer batteries don't have the same problem with memory as older ones. You can charge it whenever you can, but typically draining your battery down to zero is not as good for it. Especially when it is brand new. Try to plug it in before it is so dead it turns off.

After a few charges you should see the battery life improve.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Modern batteries can just be used right out of the box.
It's better to keep them in the 30-80% range, so don't leave it on the charger and don't let it run down to zero and you'll be OK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garthS153