I have a OnePlus One - ask me about it!

j4ever

May 3, 2014
Visit site
- Frontal Camera: how wide is the angle comparing with other phones? How good is in low light conditions? The last galaxys are really good at it.
- Sound: How good and loud is the sound with headphones? fraquency balanced?
- Microfone: How good is it and how good is the quality when recording voice.
- I'd like to see Battery life exhausted test.
- How often do they say there are gonna release android updates? How many they can asure?
- Does it have notification LED?
- Important: How strong is the wifi signal? How good is the gps locking?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Quirks? It has all of the proper bands for AT&T and T-Mobile.

Can you please confirm that it has b2 and b5 support? The AC spec for the OnePlus One doesn't list these two bands. While tmobile doesn't currently need these bands, and they are tertiary for usage on att (primary being b17 and secondary being b4), both b2 and b5 are used in limited markets on att.

Also T-Mobile has indicated that 1900 MHz LTE should be 50% deployed by end of year, and full deployment next year. Att has also stated that it would be refarming pcs go lte starting with big cities in an fcc filing. There is a report indicating that att b2 lte is live in nyc. As both carriers refarm edge to 4GLTE, support for these bands would be increasingly important, especially in high load situations. I am on Verizon and their 700MHz lte gets about 2-3 mbps at my work, whereas aws lte gets 20mbps +. So the bands supported can make a big difference.

Also does it support carrier aggregation?

Does it support volte?

What about wifi calling on tmobile?

http://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-one-specs

I have attached the att s5 info for reference.

7e7aqaze.jpg

avyzu4uh.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:

Woody_61

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

Thanks for doing this Q&A! What is the idle ram usage like? Also do the buttons (power/volume) feel solid? Any wobble or shake to them?

Thanks!

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay. Most important questions I had when I saw this:

1) What in blazes is a Oneplus One
2) Who is *intended* to be the target buyer

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Can you notice the capacitive keys when they are turned off? At all? Even under sunshine?

You have to try pretty hard and hold the phone at weird angles in the light to see the keys. I don't notice them when they're turned off.

I know that it supports all of the LTE bands for AT&T, but have you had to mess with the APN settings?

Everytime I use a custom ROM like on my Nexus 5 I have to enter the proper APNs manually when I set it up, just wondering if this version of CM is the same.

It's had all of the possibly needed AT&T and T-Mobile APNs loaded on it when i switched SIMs. I had to switch to the one I wanted, but it was already on there. That's not much of an issue though, APNs are easy to manage.

Would like to know about camera's image quality, Image Stabilization Plus technology, new CyanogenMod camera apps. Also please do compare battery life of OnePlus One with other close competitor like Note3, Find 7 and Nexus 5.

Image quality seems pretty good, the camera app is a tad clunky and i have to say isn't the best designed thing ever. It does work though, and best of all it doesn't get in the way.

Still using the phone for a long time before I can say anything definitive about battery life.

does the camera protrude?

Just slightly. Not noticeable.

- Frontal Camera: how wide is the angle comparing with other phones? How good is in low light conditions? The last galaxys are really good at it.
- Sound: How good and loud is the sound with headphones? fraquency balanced?
- Microfone: How good is it and how good is the quality when recording voice.
- I'd like to see Battery life exhausted test.
- How often do they say there are gonna release android updates? How many they can asure?
- Does it have notification LED?
- Important: How strong is the wifi signal? How good is the gps locking?

Front camera stinks compared to the back one, just like every other phone :p

Headphones seem fine, but I've barely used it for anything but spoken word podcasts.

I'm sure you can expect quite a few updates for this phone, but they're not making any guarantees.

It has a multi-color LED in the top left corner of the front bezel.

Wifi seems a little wonky right now, but I need to test more. It's having issues with my 5GHz network.

GPS works fine.

Is it true that the back is made out of cashews? And how does it feel?

Hm. Haven't heard that one. Certainly feels like plastic, but good, solid plastic.

If you install lots of apps on it, does the extra RAM keep it running fast?
I've 180 apps on my S3 and most I can't uninstall. Does the 1+ run smooth?

Seems smooth so far, I have about 45 apps installed. The extra RAM will help, sure, but if you're an app packrat it's going to take a toll on any phone eventually.

Can you please confirm that it has b2 and b5 support? The AC spec for the OnePlus One doesn't list these two bands. While tmobile doesn't currently need these bands, and they are tertiary for usage on att (primary being b17 and secondary being b4), both b2 and b5 are used in limited markets on att.

Also T-Mobile has indicated that 1900 MHz LTE should be 50% deployed by end of year, and full deployment next year. Att has also stated that it would be refarming pcs go lte starting with big cities in an fcc filing. There is a report indicating that att b2 lte is live in nyc. As both carriers refarm edge to 4GLTE, support for these bands would be increasingly important, especially in high load situations. I am on Verizon and their 700MHz lte gets about 2-3 mbps at my work, whereas aws lte gets 20mbps +. So the bands supported can make a big difference.

Also does it support carrier aggregation?

Does it support volte?

What about wifi calling on tmobile?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

It has all the right bands, the same ones you'll find on any other modern unlocked smartphone. T-Mobile isn't using any crazy bands, even after they refarm. It has 1900MHz. Seriously, don't worry about bands.

Carrier aggregation will be determined by how each carrier does it. But no, there's no special mention of software on here to manage that — remember, this isn't a carrier phone.

No VoLTE, again, it's not a carrier phone — and VoLTE is a long way off for T-Mo and AT&T (well, every carrier really) anyway and each will do it differently.

No Wifi calling, again, it's not a carrier phone.

Hello!

Thanks for doing this Q&A! What is the idle ram usage like? Also do the buttons (power/volume) feel solid? Any wobble or shake to them?

Thanks!

It has 3GB of RAM, at least 1GB more than anyone needs right now. It doesn't matter :)

Buttons are tight, and maybe a little too flush against the body of the phone. No shake though.

Does enabling the software buttons make the image shrink in a weird proportion? I mean, it takes up some of the space after all.

It changes the aspect ratio of the screen just slightly of course, but it doesn't cause any problems.

Okay. Most important questions I had when I saw this:

1) What in blazes is a Oneplus One
2) Who is *intended* to be the target buyer

A phone

Nerds who love high specs and want to customize their device.

Last edited:

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
A phone

Nerds who love high specs and want to customize their device.

1) Okay so I poked into this a bit more. SINGLE LED on the face but at least multi color. Can you manually set any colors in the default UI? Such as my new G Flex has TWO LEDs and custom colors for various contacts.

2) Realistically is it at least less frustrating than most current flagships? Like the idea that someone who buys this will not be desperate to get rid of it. Because this has been a real problem the last couple years.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
1) Okay so I poked into this a bit more. SINGLE LED on the face but at least multi color. Can you manually set any colors in the default UI? Such as my new G Flex has TWO LEDs and custom colors for various contacts.

2) Realistically is it at least less frustrating than most current flagships? Like the idea that someone who buys this will not be desperate to get rid of it. Because this has been a real problem the last couple years.

Yes you can customize the color for different things, from missed calls to most third-party apps you have installed.

Less frustrating? No, I wouldn't say so. CM has its own niggles and weird things it does that are very confusing, even to someone who has been around Android for many years. It has its own learning curve, just like any other phone.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can customize the color for different things, from missed calls to most third-party apps you have installed.

Less frustrating? No, I wouldn't say so. CM has its own niggles and weird things it does that are very confusing, even to someone who has been around Android for many years. It has its own learning curve, just like any other phone.

Sounds reasonable, not great but reasonable. I know it's a bit early to ask but does the build quality strike you as being at least as good as Nexus devices? Like the USB port won't break the first week like some Galaxy phones, volume doesn't feel like it could break if squeezed too hard. No day-one broken screens like the G2 or day one broken camera shields like the M8? Does it feel equal or better than that.

ewa12321

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
1. Does it have Talkback preinstalled and does it have issues? Are there extra accessibility options for blind/low vision people or just like on nexus?

2. It CM on One Plus1 is different than custom Roms for other phones? What's different?

3. It's based on Kit Kat?

4. Is there options to change font style and size?

5. Can you record video and show themes? How create them, on phone? Where are they stored and can you back them up to pc?

6. How many colors has LED notification light? Does it have orange, light pink, purple or dark pink?

7. Can you root it?

8. Does it have Polish and German languages?

typed from dark room

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Sounds reasonable, not great but reasonable. I know it's a bit early to ask but does the build quality strike you as being at least as good as Nexus devices? Like the USB port won't break the first week like some Galaxy phones, volume doesn't feel like it could break if squeezed too hard. No day-one broken screens like the G2 or day one broken camera shields like the M8? Does it feel equal or better than that.

Build quality seems fine. Every phone has its quality control issues, no phone can be perfect across every single device sold. And you should recognize that every issue you note was never widespread enough to effect a real number of consumers — manufacturers plan for a certain number of defects to hit a certain number of phones, and the OnePlus One will be no different.

1. Does it have Talkback preinstalled and does it have issues? Are there extra accessibility options for blind/low vision people or just like on nexus?

2. It CM on One Plus1 is different than custom Roms for other phones? What's different?

3. It's based on Kit Kat?

4. Is there options to change font style and size?

5. Can you record video and show themes? How create them, on phone? Where are they stored and can you back them up to pc?

6. How many colors has LED notification light? Does it have orange, light pink, purple or dark pink?

7. Can you root it?

8. Does it have Polish and German languages?

typed from dark room

All of the same Talkback options are there that are in AOSP Android

CM here has slightly different features than the current open-source CM. It has a new camera, gallery and theme engine.

CyanogenMod 11S launching alongside OnePlus One with new camera, theme engine | Android Central

It is indeed, Android 4.4.2.

You can adjust the font and size 12 ways from Sunday.

I'll have more on the themes in my review, maybe in a stand-alone post. The Theme Engine framework is new, but it works the same way everyone knows CM themes. You can get them from third parties and make them yourself if you're really dedicated. You can mix-and-match different parts of different themes even, if you want.

The LED has dozens of colors:

2014-05-03 21.37.38.jpg

Of course you can root it, it's a CM phone :)

Any language that's available to any other Android phone is available here. Yes you can download Polish and German.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QQWWFFCCC998