I have a OnePlus One - ask me about it!

CrazyAndroidLover

May 6, 2014
Visit site
You might want to check up on the OTA updates. I would assume that they would update their devices to the final build since they have begun sending them to the 100 winners of the "Smash the Past" competition. :)

UPDATE:
According to the OnePlus AMA, this is a software issue.
kookoo89
"After a solid day of use, everything seems to be pretty impressive, with one exception: the earpiece. While the One can pull down a reliable AT&T HSPA signal even in my remote area, the speaker above the screen is weak and low even at the highest volume setting. You need to place it almost perfectly over your ear canal to hold a conversation, even in an entirely quiet room." -Android Police review.
There seems to be concern over the ear piece. Any comments on that?
Response:
This is a confirmed software issue that will be resolved.

Also the only left audio recorded issue that was being asked about previously on this thread was confirmed to be a software issue as well.

Could you still discuss the touch sensitivity issue (95%)? What did you mean by "There's something just slightly off about the touch sensitivity on the OnePlus One. Feels like its about 95% as sensitive as you want it to be. Most noticeable when typing."?
Is it like you try to type and although you tapped, the touchscreen does not register it?

It seems like many of the issues with the phone are due to unfinalized software, lets hope the touch sensitivity issue is due to software issues as well. :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

thiazw

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Do the capacitive buttons have any lag as compared to the on-screen buttons? Also, are the capacitive buttons fully customizable (i.e. changing the menu button to act as the recent apps button)?

Tiago Leite

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi. It is possible to use the capacitative buttons with them turned off? Something like "buttons backlight" set to disable?

No. When you turn them off, they no longer work. That's kind of the point :p .

this.PNG

I'm confused. So there isn't a way to make the capacitive buttons work even if their backlight is disabled, but in the film the backlight is disabled...
PS: I didn't mention to turn capacitive buttons off... only their backlight. :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcMBuRX-EdU&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Could you still discuss the touch sensitivity issue (95%)? What did you mean by "There's something just slightly off about the touch sensitivity on the OnePlus One. Feels like its about 95% as sensitive as you want it to be. Most noticeable when typing."?
Is it like you try to type and although you tapped, the touchscreen does not register it?

It seems like many of the issues with the phone are due to unfinalized software, lets hope the touch sensitivity issue is due to software issues as well. :)

Thanks!

It simply takes a little harder of a touch to initialize an actual "touch" on the screen as you would think. Indeed it could (and should) be fixed in software. We received an OTA last night, and are expecting yet another early next week. TBD if the touch sensitivity is actually being improved. It's not something you notice all the time, but when you compare directly to another phone you notice. Especially when typing.

Now that it has been a couple days....how is the battery life settling in?

About on par with what I get out of the Galaxy S5, and definitely better than the Nexus 5. A total day's use (~15hrs, 3hrs screen on) has never gotten me below 25% at the end of the day. Apparently there's still some sort of bug causing wakelocks though, which is being addressed and should help battery. I haven't been unimpressed so far though.

Do the capacitive buttons have any lag as compared to the on-screen buttons? Also, are the capacitive buttons fully customizable (i.e. changing the menu button to act as the recent apps button)?

Nope no lag when you turn them on. And yes you can configure what the menu and back button do when short and long-pressed. You can configure what the home button does when long-pressed also.

Also, if you go with the on-screen buttons, you can configure those as well.

What have this week's OTAs fixed, and what remains broken?

Posted via Android Central App

TBD, there's no changelog made available to us. There weren't many glaring issues before, but it'll be poking around to see what's changed. I would assume just lots of little bugs have been fixed. There are still known problems (like really low earpiece volume) that have yet to be fixed but are on the list to be fixed.

I'm confused. So there isn't a way to make the capacitive buttons work even if their backlight is disabled, but in the film the backlight is disabled...
PS: I didn't mention to turn capacitive buttons off... only their backlight. :-\

Possibly I misunderstood your question. Yes, you can turn off the backlight on the capacitive buttons (and set a custom "time out" time) and have them still work. Not sure why you'd want to do that, though, because the buttons basically 99% disappear when the lights are turned off. You wouldn't be able to see where the buttons are.

But my initial response still stands, if you turn on the on-screen buttons, the capacitive keys no long work and the backlight can never be turned on.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey Andrew, in a earlier post you stated there were no stereo speakers,was this a typo? I thought for sure the one plus one had ajabal bottom facing stereo speakers. They are broadcasting it as first ever or something.

shlk7

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So I got an answer from Carl on the OnePlus forums about the always listening feature. The hotword for the release version is "OK OnePlus" (Thank god! Hey Snapdragon just sounds horribly long). The current build you have is only to showcase that the feature is present.

Lugz6002

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey Andrew,

have you had a chance to try out USB-OTG yet? If so, does it work as advertised? Does CM11s come with a built in file manager that can access USB-OTG files?

Thanks!

Nyco30

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hey Andrew,
Thanks for all of these updates. From what I can see, there are these unaswered question pending:
- GPS sounds just fine but need to be tested: how long does it take to have a roadmap? Is there any issues on a 20 minutes walk/ride?
- A real Antutu benchmark? Could you try it out?
- Audio needs to be really benched, although I have no idea how you can do that... :)
- Rapid charge? On a 15/20 minutes charge, how much does it recover?
- The USB-OTG thingy?
- How is your hand adapting to the size of this phone? Is that hard to use it with just one hand? If not using swype style, can you still write a message with one hand/call some one with one hand/surfing with one hand?
- All in all: would you recommend that phone to someone hesitating with other current flagship? Should the price not be an issue, still recommending it?

Thanks again for your answers, and thumbs up to have your hand on it!

thiazw

May 4, 2014
Visit site
How long does it take for a full charge (from ~10% or so)? Also, is the notification light (top left of screen) bright enough to be seen if set to white colour? Thanks for the answers!

shlk7

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the phone has bottom stereo speakers, but i don't know how you will get the stereo sound if there is almost no distance between the speakers. Although the constructive interference can make it louder.

Drianoa

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

Is there EAP-SIM Wifi authentication avalaible?
To check this out you can :
- Add a new network
- Select 802.1x EAP instead of WPA
- A second list appears with PEAP, TLS ... and hopefully SIM

Thanks.

SpeedHunterPT

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have one question.

The hardware keys are changeable in terms of funcionality? For example from stock they are "Menu, Home and Back", right? Can you change them to "Recent Apps, Home, Menu"?

Thanks.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
So I got an answer from Carl on the OnePlus forums about the always listening feature. The hotword for the release version is "OK OnePlus" (Thank god! Hey Snapdragon just sounds horribly long). The current build you have is only to showcase that the feature is present.

Yup, the always listening isn't turned on yet, OnePlus has confirmed to me.

Hey Andrew,
Thanks for all of these updates. From what I can see, there are these unaswered question pending:
- GPS sounds just fine but need to be tested: how long does it take to have a roadmap? Is there any issues on a 20 minutes walk/ride?
- A real Antutu benchmark? Could you try it out?
- Audio needs to be really benched, although I have no idea how you can do that... :)
- Rapid charge? On a 15/20 minutes charge, how much does it recover?
- The USB-OTG thingy?
- How is your hand adapting to the size of this phone? Is that hard to use it with just one hand? If not using swype style, can you still write a message with one hand/call some one with one hand/surfing with one hand?
- All in all: would you recommend that phone to someone hesitating with other current flagship? Should the price not be an issue, still recommending it?

Thanks again for your answers, and thumbs up to have your hand on it!

Haven't ever experienced GPS issues in Maps, Foursquare, picture taking, etc.

Don't care about benchmarks

You can't really benchmark audio... and if you did compare it, it'd fail in comparison to something with a real amp. The audio sounds just fine.

Charges quickly, but nowhere near as quick as the GS5 does with a USB 3.0 charger.

USB OTG is next on the list.

My hand is not adapting to the size. This is too big for me to use, sadly. Makes me excited to go back to the Nexus 5 where I can type comfortably with one hand.

I think it's hard to say at this point, considering by the time this thing is actually shipping the landscape may look a touch different — were talking about getting into June before you can buy one w/o an invite. At $300 it's looking to be a pretty great value, but I'm not entirely sure it's providing me anything that the Nexus 5 doesn't, for my usage.

How long does it take for a full charge (from ~10% or so)? Also, is the notification light (top left of screen) bright enough to be seen if set to white colour? Thanks for the answers!

I'll have to test that, but it seems to charge right on par with any other device I have. Maybe a tad longer — 3100mAh is a big battery.

Multicolor LED is very bright.

Yeah the phone has bottom stereo speakers, but i don't know how you will get the stereo sound if there is almost no distance between the speakers. Although the constructive interference can make it louder.

Right. The speakers are less than 2 inches apart. I don't care if there are actually 2 speakers (there are), that's not "stereo". They sound just like any other cheap phone speakers.

Hello!

Is there EAP-SIM Wifi authentication avalaible?
To check this out you can :
- Add a new network
- Select 802.1x EAP instead of WPA
- A second list appears with PEAP, TLS ... and hopefully SIM

Thanks.

2014-05-08 21.30.43.jpg 2014-05-08 21.30.49.jpg

Hi, I have one question.

The hardware keys are changeable in terms of funcionality? For example from stock they are "Menu, Home and Back", right? Can you change them to "Recent Apps, Home, Menu"?

Thanks.

yes, as i answered earlier. You can customize what menu and back do when single and long-pressed.

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, I need a new phone and this is one the ones at the top of my list. I like CyanogenMod (good to have it out of the box) and it sounds like the battery and camera (both important) are better than the Nexus 5. I've read most of the thread so far, so I hope there aren't any repeat questions (sorry if there are). But anyway:
1. Can you customize the functions of the soft keys? I know you said the capacitive keys can be changed, but I'd like to make hold recent apps the menu button (not possible on CyanogenMod 11 on my Nexus 7).
2. Is the battery removable?
3. Are there any big changes in screen quality vs. the Nexus 5 (brighter, darker, color accuracy, etc)?
4. Are standard CyanogenMod features like DSP Manager and Movie Studio present?
5. Any comparisons you can give against the Find 7a?
6. Any further things you can add to the OnePlus One vs Nexus 5 debate?

Again, battery tests (vs Nexus 5 would be nice) would be much appreciated when you can get them. Surprised to see that the Nexus 5 is snappier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laylone007