I must know about battery life before I pre-order.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Enough !!! About battery life !!!

Yeah, except for those who are nowhere near a wall charger for 10 hours a day, like me. Battery life is the most important factor in a smartphone. Nobody wants to be tethered to a wall socket all day. Nobody should be defending the choice in small battery.

You might not be near a charger for 10 hours, but are you on your phone that whole time? If not there's a good chance you'll be fine, the battery isn't going to die in 10 hours on stand by

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
I agree that Samsung needs to optimize their software, but we've all been saying this for years. They're getting better, but they still have a loooooooooooooooong way to go.

We've also been begging for bigger batteries for years, and not just from Samsung. It's not happening. At this point, given the good battery life I'm getting from my S8, I think better software optimization is more likely.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, except for those who are nowhere near a wall charger for 10 hours a day, like me. Battery life is the most important factor in a smartphone. Nobody wants to be tethered to a wall socket all day. Nobody should be defending the choice in small battery.

Battery life is an important factor in a phone and no doubt unique to a user and their personal or professional needs

For my needs battery life is somewhere in the middle of desired things, very important but overall outweighed by many other lovely qualities about the Note 8

Won't it be great when the next generation of cell technology gets worked out and hits the market, and we could be enjoying all of these wonderful smartphones for days at a time without having to recharge!

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Any talk of battery endurance must take into account screen size, screen brightness, screen resolution, CPU type, 4G signal strength, what apps you run, etc. There are a lot of variables.

A useful tool is the GSM Arena Battery Life Test.

http://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

With the Note 8 we can make a pretty good guess based on the endurance of the S8+ and the S8. The S8+ has a 3,500 mAh battery and the S8 has a 3,000 mAh battery. The Note 8 has a 3,300 mAh battery and a slightly larger screen than the S8+.

According to GSM tests, the S8+ has an overall endurance rating of 88 hours; the S8 is at 84 hours. I would guess the Note 8 will come in at about 86 hours. This is roughly the same neighborhood as the Galaxy Note5, the Galaxy S7 Edge, and the Apple 6s Plus.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
That is good enough for my purposes, can always quick charge in my office, my car.

I've long been a big fan of the Sammie 5100 mAh external charger.

Very sleek, same size as the phone, can literally put the phone and the charger in my back pocket and get some of that fast charging goodness, while I shop and run errands, and before I know it I am a fully charged Note happy fool

Last edited:

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Not much bigger than S8+ and 3300 vs 3500. I think I'll be ok with that. Of course I would have liked a larger battery but I made the Note 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 work.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Note 3, Note 4, Note 5, S7 have all been good to me and gotten me through a full day, some times two without a problem. I expect nothing less from the Note 8.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

No one is defending the choice of small battery, they're defending premium design. I don't want a large heavy brick, obviously the average consumer doesn't either or we would have thicker heavier phones with larger batteries. People want a phone that lasts them the day, while being as slim and light as possible for comfort to hold and use it. These flagships last most people an entire day, personally I haven't had an issue getting through a day since my Note 2 back in 2012.

If the battery isn't enough for you, get a battery case, or buy a different phone. Mid range devices are more energy efficient and last longer, some of them have larger batteries as well.

jadedangel143

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not worried about battery life. I'm very legally blind, so my screen brightness is always at 0%. When i go out in public i turn on screen blackout for privacy. Will turn off always on display and put screen resolution as low as possible. I'm thinking with mixed use, i'll make a day and a half easy. Heavy use, a whole day.

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
With all of the power packs available, why would anyone NEED a bigger battery or NEED a wall charger? (except to charge the power packs!)

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is the concern? That you can only get 13 consecutive hours of web surfing on LTE? You can only talk on the phone for 22 hours? Only play back video files for 16 straight hours?

I have the s7edge now I'm in Asia and frequently cannot charge the phone... I don't want to carry a battery pack. This phone barely lasts the day with mixed use and my screen is set below 40% and a load of stuff turned off.. I don't want to have to think k about my battery period specialy if I'm paying a grand

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
First world problems. " I don't want to carry a battery pack", "I don't want to carry my charger", " I don't want to be worry about battery life". You sure don't want to have to do a lot of things but you definitely want to have the latest and greatest. Come on people, make some sense. Numerous youtube reviews have people getting 6+ hours SOT. Of course usage will vary but theres your baseline. If you have enough time on your hands to spend over 5+ hours looking at your phone screen in a day then you have enough time to plug it in for 30 min with a fast charger and get yourself 50% more charge and another few hours of SOT. With how small portable battery packs have gotten, the size of a lipstick basically, theres no reason why " having to carry a battery pack" should be an inconvenience if the trade off is having a powerful computer with a 6.3 inch quad HD screen in your pocket.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
with regards to comparisons with the S8+... yes, the Note 8 has a slightly smaller battery, but capacity is only part of the equation. Typically, Samsung configures the Note line to be a bit more power conscious... mostly some kernel tweaks here and there. I would not at all be shocked if the energy consumption is nearly identical to the S8+.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
with regards to comparisons with the S8+... yes, the Note 8 has a slightly smaller battery, but capacity is only part of the equation. Typically, Samsung configures the Note line to be a bit more power conscious... mostly some kernel tweaks here and there. I would not at all be shocked if the energy consumption is nearly identical to the S8+.

THIS, Honestly some people just don't understand how phones work. Whether its a kernel tweak, or throttling the processor more often where its not really noticeable, or better heat management, or even a better antenna that will reduce the amount of times your phone is searching for strong signal which is one of the biggest causes of battery drain. 200mah is not a lot to make up for between the 2 devices. Tweaks and adjustments like these can easily close that gap.

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Imo..... They probably made the battery slightly smaller so they could fit the stylus inside the casing. I'm sure there goal was to stick to a certain size limit of the N8.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I guess my counter question is this: If no one has the device, how can anyone give input on the battery life?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz