I take back every negative thing I've ever said about the Moto X!

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
what was so shockingly amazing going from the maxx to the moto x? They are the same phone besides the form factor correct?

Yes. Form factor and the Maxx has a 63% bigger battery and a bigger screen. Doesn't feel as good in the hand but the battery is way better. Other than that they perform exactly the same

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Mine arrives tomorrow. I've been advocating for it's philosophy the entire time, but these forums are what actually sold me on the purchase. The more I discussed it, the more I understood, it the more I wanted it. This thing screams of efficiency, optimization, improvisation and subtlety.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That, my friends, is why you should never judge a device by specs alone.

However, I won't be getting a Moto X, because it's camera is mediocre in low-light situations and the fact that the mic is always-on, kinda creeps me out.

It's just my decision. Happy to hear that you're enjoying yours, though!

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

However, I won't be getting a Moto X, because it's camera is mediocre in low-light situations and the fact that the mic is always-on, kinda creeps me out.

After using the Moto X since last Friday, the camera is one of those things that I was expecting to be bad, but in actuality isn't. Yes, the colors can be somewhat muted at times. But man are there a LOT of nice things about the camera:

- Very fast shutter, both in terms of shutter lag (time it takes to take a photo) and shutter speed (does really well capturing motion)
- Twist wrist activation. I know this can be done on other phones, but I really love the ability to just twist my wrist to open the camera. Not needing to press a button or swipe a gesture to open the camera is indispensable, imo.
- Low light performance is actually pretty decent, imo. Not up to HTC One levels, but pretty competitive with the average Smartphone camera. I was expecting a blotchy mess, and it's actually not that bad.
- Slow Motion video capture is fun
- I was also able to install a GPE camera APK and get Photosphere to work pretty well on the Moto X. It doesn't overwrite the stock camera/gallery - it installs alongside them.

And regarding the microphone always being on, you don't need to have that turned on if you don't want to use it.

Here are some photos I took last night near the river (hopefully I shared them properly):
https://plus.google.com/113546634825018508854/posts/5Q6NGrP8AvZ

gbkrip

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
After using the Moto X since last Friday, the camera is one of those things that I was expecting to be bad, but in actuality isn't. Yes, the colors can be somewhat muted at times. But man are there a LOT of nice things about the camera:

- Very fast shutter, both in terms of shutter lag (time it takes to take a photo) and shutter speed (does really well capturing motion)
- Twist wrist activation. I know this can be done on other phones, but I really love the ability to just twist my wrist to open the camera. Not needing to press a button or swipe a gesture to open the camera is indispensable, imo.
- Low light performance is actually pretty decent, imo. Not up to HTC One levels, but pretty competitive with the average Smartphone camera. I was expecting a blotchy mess, and it's actually not that bad.
- I was also able to install a GPE camera APK and get Photosphere to work pretty well on the Moto X. It doesn't overwrite the stock camera/gallery - it installs alongside them.

And regarding the microphone always being on, you don't need to have that turned on if you don't want to use it.

Here are some photos I took last night near the river (hopefully I shared them properly):

The album tells me that the camera issue is overblown. It doesn't seem THAT bad? However, the shots without HDR really do appear muted. Specifically, the waterfront without HDR and the red flower without HDR. Those do not look good in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing those!

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the "lousy", "bad", camera comments are way over blown and I suspect most come from those that don't actually own the camera. Some of the colors that are often called "muted" actually look more real to me than those from cameras that emphasize the greens and blues. I have taken many a picture that I thought were really beautiful compared to what my eye saw due to this emphasis.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for clarifying.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

If you leave HDR on how does that effect shutter speed and the amount of time it takes to capture a photo? I'm struggling between this, the S4, and the One. One of the most important aspects to a phone for me is the camera. I take a TON of quick pics of my daughter and like to have something that works well and works quickly. Thanks for the post, btw. Where along the Mississippi was that?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So I am here to eat crow. I will be the first to admit that throughout the release of the Moto X I have posted some less than kind comments about the device being "worth" the money. Over the last few days I have developed an interest in the device mainly by seeing all of the positive comments from actual users. The main things that interested me in the X were the size of the device and the better battery life.

I was still hesitant mainly because of the perceived downgrade in screen quality (from HTC ONE to Moto X) and what I would lose as far as loudspeaker quality and loudness with the ONE.

I bit the bullet and picked one up today and wow was I ever wrong. This is by far the smoothest, most fluid device I have ever used! I decided to push the envelope and open up about 40 apps while downloading another 20 at the same time and not one time did it lag or stutter.

The best way to describe this device is it's comfortable to use. The size is perfect and the active notifications are really useful. I have medium sized hands and it's nice to actually be able to reach all 4 corners of the screen without having to re-position my hand. Motorola knocked it out of the park on this one and I will now admit what others have been trying to say, it's not just about the specs........

I will be selling my ONE to replenish my bank account for the X purchase:)

Glad to hear you like the device. I am hoping that Moto can make a comeback starting with this. We need to have more options in Smartphones other than Samsung and Apple....

gbkrip

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I think the "lousy", "bad", camera comments are way over blown and I suspect most come from those that don't actually own the camera. Some of the colors that are often called "muted" actually look more real to me than those from cameras that emphasize the greens and blues. I have taken many a picture that I thought were really beautiful compared to what my eye saw due to this emphasis.

I understand what you're saying. I may even agree with you - its difficult for me to be a judge since I do not own an iPhone 5, an HTC one, AND a Moto x. I can't compare the photos between them and perhaps more importantly, I can't compare the photos ANY of those devices take to real life. Having said that, I think my iPhone does a pretty good job of reproducing what I see with my eyes when I am taking a photo. So, the question that I have is can you say this about the Moto X? Does it do a good job of reproducing what you see in the real world when taking a photo (both when viewed on the Moto X display and when viewed on a monitor)?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The camera complaints aren't isolated to muted colors.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

Just letting you know. One of my first tests of my Moto X when I got it on Tuesday was trying out the "OK Google Now" after turning on Airplane Mode and not allowing it to connect to my Wi-Fi.

The phone recognized me say Ok Google Now and it unlocked my phone before telling me that it couldn't process any requests because it couldn't connect to the internet.

To me that means that the phone really isn't paying attention to any words that you say because it isn't able to connect to Googles voice recognition servers yet still recognizes the wave form of its phrase.

It doesn't seem to me to be sending any information until the activation phrase so it really isn't any different from any other uses of any other voice control software like regular phone Google Now or Siri.

In addition, the searching for the activation phrase is done in the processor, but for the phone to actually be transmitting your voice constantly would kill the battery, and be extremely noticeable.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
If you leave HDR on how does that effect shutter speed and the amount of time it takes to capture a photo? I'm struggling between this, the S4, and the One. One of the most important aspects to a phone for me is the camera. I take a TON of quick pics of my daughter and like to have something that works well and works quickly. Thanks for the post, btw. Where along the Mississippi was that?

I honestly can't tell any difference in shutter speed if HDR is on or off, which is pronouncedly different than other phone cameras I've used. Most phones I've used with HDR turned on do not do well unless the subject is entirely stationary. On the Moto X, I have been leaving HDR on for almost every situation and it has still been lightning quick in practice.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine arrives tomorrow. I've been advocating for it's philosophy the entire time, but these forums are what actually sold me on the purchase. The more I discussed it, the more I understood, it the more I wanted it. This thing screams of efficiency, optimization, improvisation and subtlety.

Did you do moto maker or just a standard version?

Posted via Android Central App

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
HTC looks like it's making a comeback.
The One is doing pretty well with the tech crowds, but HTC is still failing I think they've said.

The camera looks pretty good compared to my Droid 4, and I've been sastified with that.

The Moto X is quick, I heard that it's not always that consistant, but it's a quick shooter.