I think I'm going to buy the droid over the N1

matt4876

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
So I think I'm going to buy the Droid now under the BOGO sale instead of waiting for the N1. But first I have a few last minute questions before I head over to VZN:

1 - How is the screen brightness in direct sunlight on the Droid? I plan on using it as a GPS sometimes.

2 - Are there any build issues I should be aware of or look for if I pick one up tonight? Essentially I'm asking if there is a way to spot a lemon.

3 - I realize that the N1 has a snapdragon processor, but does anyone feel that the difference in speed is significant enough to wait for the N1? I played with a N1 last night and it was definitely fast, but I haven't played with a droid enough to make an educated comparison.

4 - Is anyone having issues running out of system memory (I think the droid has 256 to start)?

Thank you in advance for any advice or comments you may have.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Well let's just say your gonna get some who say its a good idea and others who think your crazy, keep that in mind.

But to your questions:

1) keep the screen brightness set to auto and you should have no issues with the sunlight.

2) haven't really seen nor heard of too many build issues.

3) the speed may be there, but jut overclock your droid. Also, the droid is quite speedy.

4) memory issues, nope. Not a single one and got a bunch of apps installed and I still got plenty of room left!!

matt4876

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
thanks! Yeah, I know alot of people are going to say I'm crazy to not wait for the N1 but with the BOGO deal I can outfit both my wife and myself with new phones for less than I likely will pay to get just one N1 whenever it does come out. Plus after using the touchscreen keyboard on the N1, I feel like the physical keyboard is must.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
thanks! Yeah, I know alot of people are going to say I'm crazy to not wait for the N1 but with the BOGO deal I can outfit both my wife and myself with new phones for less than I likely will pay to get just one N1 whenever it does come out. Plus after using the touchscreen keyboard on the N1, I feel like the physical keyboard is must.

i too agree that having a physical keyboard is very important, even if the one on the droid could use some improving

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Well it seems like you thought the decision through. But you should be happy with the Droid the performance between them both is close. But for me I want both

darel60

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone.
I bought new moto droid for me and want to give a dashing look by an elegant good skin on, So which website is best according to you for nice skins?

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
So I think I'm going to buy the Droid now under the BOGO sale instead of waiting for the N1. But first I have a few last minute questions before I head over to VZN:

1 - How is the screen brightness in direct sunlight on the Droid? I plan on using it as a GPS sometimes.

2 - Are there any build issues I should be aware of or look for if I pick one up tonight? Essentially I'm asking if there is a way to spot a lemon.

3 - I realize that the N1 has a snapdragon processor, but does anyone feel that the difference in speed is significant enough to wait for the N1? I played with a N1 last night and it was definitely fast, but I haven't played with a droid enough to make an educated comparison.

4 - Is anyone having issues running out of system memory (I think the droid has 256 to start)?

Thank you in advance for any advice or comments you may have.

1) Screen brightness and clarity is awesome. No problem in direct sunlight. Also, I have seen some compro vids on screens, and in my opinion the Droid's screen is the best in clarity, colors, and brightness.

2) Nope. Only build issue I have is sometimes the battery gets loose, but I've only heard of ONE other person with that issue. The Droid is very solid phone, and made of tough materials. All you have to check is if the battery cover slides off very easy. If so, ask for a replacement battery cover.

3) No. Very speedy to me. I do hear in some places that the snapdragon is overrated (I don't know enough to verify or not), but the Droid is fast enough stock. If you want more speed, it is easy to root and overclock. The Qualcomm in the Droid is supposedly underclocked, so getting it to 800 mHz does nothing to the chip, and a lot of people can run at 1 GHz.

4) Not at all. I have like 60-70 apps installed, and still have enough memory for 25-30 more I believe.

You will love this phone. Get it.

If you or your wife want something smaller, and not too concerned with speed, the Eris is not a bad choice. I know my girlfriend has a preference for the Eris as its lighter, easier to carry, and (she believes) a better soft keyboard. And of course, the BOGO can get you an Eris for free.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I've never used an N1, but I also own an iPhone 3GS and a BlackBerry Storm 2 and I have no complaints about the Droid's speed, even with about 40 third-party apps & widgets installed.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The Droid and the nexus one both seem to be awesome devices and you wouldn't go wrong with either. I would personally go for the Nexus One, but the Droid is right there with It. I don't care for a physical keybaord, but the one on the Droid isn't that bad. Once the Droid gets the 2.1 update, it will be basically the Nexus with a physical keyboard.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I was planning to wait for the N1, but VZW's BOGO offer combined with my early upgrade offer (that ends this month) is just too hard to pass up for me and my wife to both get outfitted with a pair of shiny, new Moto Droids! So long to our Storm1's, though I'm not going to bash them. They have been great phones for us. We're just ready for something with a better browsing and app experience than BB is ready to offer at this point.

Here's to BOGO offers, early upgrade offers and early birthday presents (my b-day is at the end of March)! I think we'll be rocking our Droids by Saturday (Friday, if I'm lucky) and then I'll resume one of my favorite past times from owning the Storm... waiting for the next new OS revision to drop!

-SR-

that1bb

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Go Droid. You wont regret it. No only is the screen better than the n1 in sunlight, it also has more pixels too, giving it even more screenestate than n1. As for speed, mine is all stock including the home screen and it is fast. Cheers.

matt4876

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am 100% sold on this phone now. I wasn't able to make it to Big Red last night before it closes but I should be setup by tonight.

What about cases? Does VZN sell a case and/or screen protector I should pick up when I go? I'd like to have a case that still allows me to put the droid in the window mount for GPS.

kalldrexx

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am 100% sold on this phone now. I wasn't able to make it to Big Red last night before it closes but I should be setup by tonight.

What about cases? Does VZN sell a case and/or screen protector I should pick up when I go? I'd like to have a case that still allows me to put the droid in the window mount for GPS.

I don't know about a case, but they sell a 3 pack of screen protectors for $10 or something. They also put the screen protector on for me.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
If you like to use your phone to watch movies, the 16:9 aspect ratio of the Droid's screen is very nice. Same aspect ratio as an HD television. The N1 screen has a 16:10 aspect ratio which results in black bars while watching 16:9 video (or bigger bars if watching cinemascope movies).

Genetic_Bloom

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
The ONE thing I can say better about the Nexus..is you don't have to wait for updates. *sigh*
How do you even know this? They had to wait just as long to get their first update as we did, about a month. The N1 hasn't had as big of an update as the droid is getting with 2.1 so you can't know this for sure. Once the N1 comes out on Verizon major updates will probably take just as long since VZN will spend their time testing ot just like they're doing with the Droid update.

Obviously you've chosen the Droid, but they're both great and you can't go wrong with either one. Just be prepared to be disappointed iin a couple months when the newest great Android phone is released if you're that kind of person.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
How do you even know this? They had to wait just as long to get their first update as we did, about a month. The N1 hasn't had as big of an update as the droid is getting with 2.1 so you can't know this for sure. Once the N1 comes out on Verizon major updates will probably take just as long since VZN will spend their time testing ot just like they're doing with the Droid update.

Obviously you've chosen the Droid, but they're both great and you can't go wrong with either one. Just be prepared to be disappointed iin a couple months when the newest great Android phone is released if you're that kind of person.

Unfortunately, that's the way of the tech world, especially when we're talking about Smartphones. You buy the top notch, you turn around a month or two later, and something faster, sleeker, and more powerful with more features has hit the market.

That's why I could never be one of the ones that absolutely HAS to have the latest and greatest at all times. I have more important things to spend (or SAVE) my money on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whytefrank