I tried Samsung Pay today

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
My issue with Samsung Pay is that it doesn't truly work everywhere (despite what ads will tell you). However the times I used it on my Galaxy S7 it really works well. Loved that I could just swipe up on the screen have my credit card info on the ready and just tap. It's what made me change from "What's the point of using mobile payments when I have my credit card on hand?" to "Samsung Pay is actually awesome and I miss it sometimes!"
Yeah, it's pretty convenient and awesome when it does what it does.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Samsung pay is awesome. I use it every chance I get. Rarely does it fail. And I agree the free stuff for using it is super awesome.

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Oh yes, it's funny when people tell you they don't accept apple pay or phone payment only to school them on Samsung Pay and show them how it's done.
And I had cashiers before that told me they don't take payments from a phone, I normally don't pay attention to them and use it, then people behind me just laugh when payment goes through.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work as often as it used to...

Hahahaha I love that! Especially when they are like sir that won't work and they end up calling their co-workers over to show them that it does work. I end up having to explain why Samsung pay works and Apple doesn't.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Hahahaha I love that! Especially when they are like sir that won't work and they end up calling their co-workers over to show them that it does work. I end up having to explain why Samsung pay works and Apple doesn't.
At Applebees by my work they know me there as the one that pays with my phone for my takeout. No one else does there. Lol

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been using it since 2015, when Verizon activated it on the S6. I use it for everything except nicer restaurants, where they take your credit card away. I was just looking at my receipts for purchases in 2018. So far, I've used it for 117 purchases. I've had only six times when I couldn't use it -- restaurants and tips. Very, very seldom does it fail.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
For me Samsung Pay is the most useful feature of the Samsung devices. It makes things very convenient and much easier. Plus you earn reward points. And it's more secure than using your credit card. I use it everywhere I go and every chance I get.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
And, well, it didn’t work as I had expected.

Long story short, I was at Levi’s getting some clothes. When it was time to check out, I decided to give Samsung Pay a shot.

Levi’s was listed as a merchant on Samsung’s website but in this particular store, the cashier told me that I can try but can’t guarantee that it will work since they are using an older terminal that requires a local wired connection and a magnetic swipe. Tried it and while the terminal beeped, it seemed that the transaction had failed as nothing came out. Decided to just go back to the old method.

Well, that didn’t go as well as I had hoped.

It might work better on the newer terminals which do magstripe and NFC though, but I need to test that first.
I've used it at every type of terminal very old and new ones and it has never failed me. Even those ones that are attached to the screens. Did you try both credit and debit. The times it wouldn't read the first try I would try again under credit and it would work. My gear S3 Samsung pay seems to be even faster than my Note 8 when it comes to using it on those old card readers.
I've found that a lot of times it's the cashier not knowing how to use the card reader. He or she will say, "oh that won't work." Then I'll say, "just do what you would do if I was using a normal credit card." Then instead of sweeping my card I touch the reader with my phone and voila it registers the payment.

LuvULongTime

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I just switched over to Samsung pay. One thing I miss from Android pay is the vibration the phone would make when it registered the tap at the terminal. I've looked everywhere in the settings and I can't find a way to make Samsung pay do this.

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
Works about 2 out of 3 for me.
Doesn't work at CVS.
Doesn't work at Subway.
Doesn't work at many small mom & pop stores with ancient MST readers.

Nice when it works.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't work at CVS.
Doesn't work at Subway.

Nice when it works.
CVS gives me problem s also because they are pushing their stupid CVS pay. Like we need that. But it works for me at subway all the time. And I find it works great at all the small mom and pop stores I have been to. Especially when traveling. I even got it to work at a vending machine where you have to insert your card. Normally these are a PITA

b.grdner

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I don’t see much issue with the tech itself. MST can be flaky on some older terminals but others have had no issue, so it’s odd to me.

The real issue is getting cashiers to actually let me use it. Many stores in my area have a “Samsung Pay Accepted Here” sticker, so they’re fine with it, but others aren’t. They are either reluctant or downright refuse to allow you to use it without “consequences”.

To answer some questions, that terminal mainly supports credit, and that’s what I tend to use. I very rarely use debit.

I usually stick with the self-checkout lines. I've had no problems using the Sam. pay. If fact, I forgot my wallet (noticed after I made an order at a drive-thru) and just handed the person my phone (after I got the scan ready) and he had no problem with payment. That could have been embarrassing!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Tap and Pay by phone will be soon outdated as folks get the newer credit cards with a built in T&P chip. My new cc can be used to swipe on old terminals and gas pumps, inserted for chip readers, and Tap and Pay for new terminals with the T&P symbol. Why drag out my phone and turn it on and get less than 100% reliability that it will work, when the new cc will definitely work on any terminal?

I have a chip credit-card.

I just went to firehouse today and tapped my Pixel 2 XL (Android Pay / soon to be called "Google Pay") worked instantly.

So.. Not sure what you mean by the chip will make it not work.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't work at CVS.
Doesn't work at Subway.

Nice when it works.
Very very odd. Mine always works at Cvs, works at Subway, and has worked at really old readers, including those build into the side of monitors. One evenworked in a mall store that had a card reader as part of the keyboard and that was quite old.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have a chip credit-card.

I just went to firehouse today and tapped my Pixel 2 XL (Android Pay / soon to be called "Google Pay") worked instantly.

So.. Not sure what you mean by the chip will make it not work.
Chip doesn't affect it. My main card has a chip and it works fine in Samsung Pay.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz