I tried Samsung Pay today

Thomasrope

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Works about 2 out of 3 for me.
Doesn't work at CVS.
Doesn't work at Subway.
Doesn't work at many small mom & pop stores with ancient MST readers.

Nice when it works.

I use it 3 to 4 times a week at Subway. It's hit and miss, even at the same location. I'd say it works 75% of the time at all the different stores I've tried.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Gas pumps are my bane. All the pumps here have the recessed card readers where you have to insert and quickly remove the card. The other 99% of the places I've shipped at, I've had no problem.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
And, well, it didn’t work as I had expected.

Long story short, I was at Levi’s getting some clothes. When it was time to check out, I decided to give Samsung Pay a shot.

Levi’s was listed as a merchant on Samsung’s website but in this particular store, the cashier told me that I can try but can’t guarantee that it will work since they are using an older terminal that requires a local wired connection and a magnetic swipe. Tried it and while the terminal beeped, it seemed that the transaction had failed as nothing came out. Decided to just go back to the old method.

Well, that didn’t go as well as I had hoped.

It might work better on the newer terminals which do magstripe and NFC though, but I need to test that first.

I'd wager a bet it had nothing to do with how you tried to pay. It was most likely an error on the cashiers end. Whenever you hold your phone/watch to the terminal, you may have to tell them to look at "their" screen (and stop looking at your phone/watch) and tell them to push credit on their screen.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It’s not that. It’s how you can pretty much make a payment with zero authentication as long as it’s within a certain value depending on country.

Having some form of authentication is better than no authentication, which is why I very seldom use contactless payments directly on the card.

Also, Samsung Pay works on NFC just like Android and Apple Pay, and in those cases, they work reliably.

I'm the type of guy who'd rather go through the process of entering a PIN than going the fast-way.

And when your cc or debit card gets stolen, they have access to your money. That can't happen with SP on your phone/watch.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Works about 2 out of 3 for me.
Doesn't work at CVS.
Doesn't work at Subway.
Doesn't work at many small mom & pop stores with ancient MST readers.

Nice when it works.

Next time at Subway, try at the top center of the card reader, not by the swipe reader on the side.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And when your cc or debit card gets stolen, they have access to your money. That can't happen with SP on your phone/watch.

Well with credit -- more so access to your credit :p. That is why I don't use my debit ever since it is easier to fraud charge / get stuff of a CC versus the cash in your bank account. Plus I get points from my CC so it is a win win (security/rewards).

CatLady2010

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I had Samsung Pay on my S7 and used it successfully 2 or 3 times. The rest of the times, it failed at some point during the transaction (it was never consistent about what point in the transaction it failed). I set it up on my Note 8, but haven't had a chance to use it yet (it has only been a week). I always carry the cards on the app as backup.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a chip credit-card.

So.. Not sure what you mean by the chip will make it not work.

Did not say the chip will make it not work. I said that one will get less than 100% reliability that it (Tap & Pay by phone) will work. But the point of my post is that if one has a credit card that works with Tap & Pay (by waving the credit card over the terminal) as well as inserting it in a chip reader or the old magnetic stripe, why drag out and turn on the phone to make a payment when a thin credit card will do the trick. As more folks get the new credit cards with this "Contactless" technology, they will find it so convenient that they will leave their phones in their pocket/purse, and use the credit card. Then Tap & Pay by phone will become obsolete.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Did not say the chip will make it not work. I said that one will get less than 100% reliability that it (Tap & Pay by phone) will work. But the point of my post is that if one has a credit card that works with Tap & Pay (by waving the credit card over the terminal) as well as inserting it in a chip reader or the old magnetic stripe, why drag out and turn on the phone to make a payment when a thin credit card will do the trick. As more folks get the new credit cards with this "Contactless" technology, they will find it so convenient that they will leave their phones in their pocket/purse, and use the credit card. Then Tap & Pay by phone will become obsolete.
In theory, yes.

But in my circles, the people I know seldom use contactless on their credit cards, with some even disabling the feature entirely.

And in my area, when the cashier asks the customers whether they'd like to use contactless or the traditional Chip-And-PIN method, 9 times out of 10, it's the latter.

The reason is simple. Quite a number of us would prefer to have at least some method of authentication when doing a purchase. The current form of contactless is basically very insecure as anyone in possession of the card can pay for items below a certain amount for a number of times until a PIN is required to reactivate the feature. A credit card at least gives you an opportunity to contact your bank to cancel these transactions and disable the card permanently. But a debit card is much trickier due to their nature of being tied to your account's balance.

Now, if contactless directly on the card itself requires authentication via fingerprint or 3D face scanning on the terminal itself, that is different and may help encourage more people to use. But in its current form, it's just not as secure as mobile payments or the old Chip-and-PIN method.

Simply put, it's only for convenience. If you like it, feel free to use it. I'm personally just going to stick with mobile payments and the old method of Chip-and-PIN.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well Tap & Pay has been 100% for me when it is an actual Tap & Pay terminal.

I can agree when using Samsung Pay on an older terminal that isn't meant for mobile payments isn't a 100% thing but so far any terminal I have walked up to with Samsung Pay or my Google Pay -- has worked 100% of the time. It is as easy as using my actual credit card.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
It's say 99% of the problems were either the cashier or with my phone. There were a few times even a terminal set up for NFC wouldn't work. I had to reboot my phone to get it to work. Also, 99% of the cashiers that tell me that it won't work will say after I use it, "wow! That's cool!"

The times where the terminal was the cause, I can count on one hand (I have over 14,000 points, just to put that into perspective).

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Well Tap & Pay has been 100% for me when it is an actual Tap & Pay terminal.

I can agree when using Samsung Pay on an older terminal that isn't meant for mobile payments isn't a 100% thing but so far any terminal I have walked up to with Samsung Pay or my Google Pay -- has worked 100% of the time. It is as easy as using my actual credit card.

So, by your account, anyone that is in possession of your credit card can tap and pay for anything? Am I reading this correctly? And this is more secure than a fingerprint sensor on a phone?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So, by your account, anyone that is in possession of your credit card can tap and pay for anything? Am I reading this correctly? And this is more secure than a fingerprint sensor on a phone?

What??? Lol. We are talking about mobile phone payments like Samsung Pay and Google Pay. I said I have yet to have a Tap & Pay terminal fail when using Android Pay or Samsung Pay. I simply pull phone out, fingerprint, and pay.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
What??? Lol. We are talking about mobile phone payments like Samsung Pay and Google Pay.

From another user: But the point of my post is that if one has a credit card that works with Tap & Pay (by waving the credit card over the terminal)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
From another user: But the point of my post is that if one has a credit card that works with Tap & Pay (by waving the credit card over the terminal)

Ah missed that part.

Well yeah that is super super super unsecure and there is no way I would want a "Tap & Pay" credit card. No ty.

Either way my post still stands. I literally mention Samsung Pay & Google Pay in my post about continue to comment on how it works. I responded to him as to "Why would one pull out the phone" instead of a credit card because I said .... so far any terminal I have walked up to with Samsung Pay or my Google Pay -- has worked 100% of the time. as in I use it without issue.

I never really went into the security but of course security from the phone (it pulsing a different card and not your real card, fingerprint, etc.) is more secure then just someone having your actual card.

;).

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
Which cards directly support contactless pay? None of my card issuers said anything about it.

What would prevent someone from charging my card just by getting close to my wallet?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Just now I was able to use my medical card at the gas pump I slid it in pulled it out and was able to pay with my phone I thought that was awesome

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday it worked for me at a Sheetz station. May depend on the gas station reader. I've had issues lately with it not working but I think it's a matter of timing, etc.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Pay worked at this vending machine in our local library:)I get the biggest kick out of that kind of thing.
6b60bac2082b1cedb1d8f22d2ac38de1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174