Ice Cream Man!

RJV3

May 18, 2011
Visit site
So the galaxy tab 7.0 jpdate was just released. Anyway someone can pull the drivers for the camera and test if it works for our tab?

aviduser

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I am also waiting. I have the Galaxy Nexus--now with Jelly Bean. ICS on that phone is great and Honeycomb is a little rough. I am hoping that ICS will make my Tab 8.9 much smoother and more stable.

I will post when the update hits for me.

RJV3

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I gave up waiting for ics and took the plunge into jellybean on my tab.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2

RJV3

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Samsung galaxy tab 8.9 wifi version. (7310)

Go to xda-developers forums and grab the cyanogen mod 10 version of jellybean 4.1.1..

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2

brainfarm

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at that but with the noted battery issues, I'm hesitant. I just KNOW I will flash that ROM and the OTA will post 20 mins later.

RJV3

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah for some reason people have been posting about their experience with battery issues, but i always wipe the battery stats and callibrate my tab twice when flashing an new rom. I callibrate the battery at 60% then fully charge and recalibrate again. I havent had battery issues with the ported ics rom. But every user experience is different.

Sent from my HTC..... Quietly Rooted

brainfarm

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
That's actually really good info, thank you.

I've rooted and flashed a ton of Nook Colors (I actually keep a microSD just for that since enough people ask me), a Viewsonic (terrible screen but it was cheap for my kids), and several phones. For some reason I just haven't taken that leap with this tablet.

I think with this information I may do just that. Has it run as smooth as the 10.1 I've seen with the stock ROM? Seeing how dramatically it changed the 10.1 made me rethink getting a new tablet.

The Architect

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if the 10.1 rom could be ported to the 8.9. It identical hardware, except the better screen size.

I'm tired of hacking my devices together, but this may be worth a try.

brainfarm

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Reading what this developer (kallt_kaffe) has done.... his port is exactly that. He took the official 10.1 OTA update and changed the config files to work on the 8.9

His notes:

The only things changed is kernel, kernel modules and one line added build.prop (to fix screen rotation)
Changed all P7510 to P7310 in build.prop except fingerprint.

While it's the same hardware, my hesitation at installing this has been... why didn't Samsung do the same thing and release both into the wild?

Kallt Kaffe is the "developer in charge" of the Samsung 8.9 on the Cyanogenmod team from what I can tell ( Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (Wi-Fi) - CyanogenMod Wiki ... look where it says "Maintainer" on the right side and you see his name) . That makes me trust his work and knowledge of the device, and I am pretty certain that I will be making the leap tonight since I got good direction on how to avoid the battery issue I've read about.

brainfarm

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
So I took the leap and installed the 10.1 port last night.

Took me 20 mins of reading to find the safest path. Downloaded their awesome toolkit from here:
[GUIDE & TOOLKIT][8.04.12] One-stop Guide for 7300/7310 - xda-developers

Found a YouTube video that helped as well. It shows you how to install it on the 10.1:
How to install Android 4.0 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - YouTube

Root: Took about 5 mins
CWM: About 5 mins

On the advice of RJV3, I wiped the battery stats before install, then after install.

Install of ROM: About 20 mins.

This is like a brand new tablet. It's absolutely amazing. My battery is running just fine, ALL of the screen lag I had before is gone gone gone. Both cameras work. The new TouchWiz is smooth and clean (unlike the previous version). I can watch Hulu+ now... love it.

If you were like me and wondering if it was the right way to go... take the leap.

Reactions: The Architect

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick