Icons, Labels, and WASTED SPACE in Android 12

csdx812

Oct 1, 2021
Visit site
Upgraded to Android 12 on my Pixel 4XL this morning.

Not all of the comments below are SPECIFIC to Android 12, but most seem to be.

1) ROUND icons are ridiculous. ROUND (circles) = WASTED SPACE that can be used for information. Slightly rounded corners of a rectangle, fine. A CIRCLE, no. Square them off, use the space to display actual information instead of nothing.
2) The addition of long text words or phrases instead of symbols (that we all took years to learn) are an EXTREME waste of space. There should be a way to go back to icons only. I would much rather see as much information as is practical on a single screen instead of scrolling 15 times to see everything.
4) Again, reference to pull down menu, what's with the HUGE ROUNDED RECTANGLES with huge amounts of wasted space inside the rectangle before you get to the UNNECESSARY text (in some case multiple lines of unnecessary text)? This reminds me of Amazon Video, where the older PC interface native browser text was replaced by these HUGE animated buttons that changed size when you hovered over them. It also reminds me of a legacy big button analog phone or a child's letter toy with huge letter buttons. For the most part, we're not children or senile adults. This should also be configurable.
4) What's with the clock/weather on the home screen? There's an unusable half row of space to the right of it? Is this configurable?
5) There are huge amounts of WASTED space between the lines and columns of the home page icon display. The wasted space between each icon (or group) is nearly half the size of the icon or group itself - both vertically and horizontally. I would much rather see information than these vast, unused tracts of overall screen space. Screen space on a smart phone is already at a premium.

Some of this stuff might be configurable in areas I haven't noticed yet. A lot of times developers seem to change things - not because it makes them better or more functional, but because they want to change things. LEAVE IT ALONE ALREADY.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I see what you mean, especially with some of the widgets. I continue to use Nova Launcher, because I like being able to customize icons. I also have some go-to 3rd party widgets that give much more information or are much more customizable than the stock Google widgets (like DIGI Clock Widget, WeaWow for weather, and Our Groceries). At least the Gmail and Google Calendar widgets are about the same, and don't waste much space.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

1) ROUND icons are ridiculous. ROUND (circles) = WASTED SPACE that can be used for information. Slightly rounded corners of a rectangle, fine. A CIRCLE, no. Square them off, use the space to display actual information instead of nothing.
2) The addition of long text words or phrases instead of symbols (that we all took years to learn) are an EXTREME waste of space. There should be a way to go back to icons only. I would much rather see as much information as is practical on a single screen instead of scrolling 15 times to see everything.
4) Again, reference to pull down menu, what's with the HUGE ROUNDED RECTANGLES with huge amounts of wasted space inside the rectangle before you get to the UNNECESSARY text (in some case multiple lines of unnecessary text)? This reminds me of Amazon Video, where the older PC interface native browser text was replaced by these HUGE animated buttons that changed size when you hovered over them. It also reminds me of a legacy big button analog phone or a child's letter toy with huge letter buttons. For the most part, we're not children or senile adults. This should also be configurable.
4) What's with the clock/weather on the home screen? There's an unusable half row of space to the right of it? Is this configurable?
5) There are huge amounts of WASTED space between the lines and columns of the home page icon display. The wasted space between each icon (or group) is nearly half the size of the icon or group itself - both vertically and horizontally. I would much rather see information than these vast, unused tracts of overall screen space. Screen space on a smart phone is already at a premium.

Some of this stuff might be configurable in areas I haven't noticed yet. A lot of times developers seem to change things - not because it makes them better or more functional, but because they want to change things. LEAVE IT ALONE ALREADY.

I agree with most of what you're saying for sure... but after staring at the same basic look since Android 6, it's kind of nice to see a different style. I'm still on the fence with the overall look of 12 though. I do miss the vibrant, more colorful look of 11...12 looks kinda apocalyptic in comparison lol. I do like the os changes in 12, and the animations.

You can change the grid sizing on 12 if you want to fit more icons on your home screen.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

I totally agree and made similar comments about the wasted space not being able to be used over on Android 12; however, some were telling me I was blowing smoke (nice way of putting it).

The screen from Andy 11 is more efficient than the 12 you can place more on it and while it is nice to see some new designs, it is still nice to have control over the phone we own.

I lost and entire row of App Icons.

And won't even discuss here how my Visual Voicemail has failed to work since 12 download, regardless of what I have tried from factory resets to reloading the app and setting up; few other apps don't work either.

There are bugs and the design sucks but there are too many that are afraid to criticize the great Android god.

I guess this must be that Pixel experience everyone is always talking about.

I have really like this Pixel 4XL it has operated flawlessly for over 1.5 years; still like it, just hate the bugs.

Waiting to see how Samsung makes changes to the S22 version of A 12; before deciding what to do next.

But no visual voice mail is a loss.