ICS Browser Gripe

Doom4life

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
So far after manually updating my 4.0.1 yakjuux to 4.0.4 takju, I have been blown away by my Galaxy Nexus. Most gripes I had with the OS went away after updating.

However, what is up with the damn stock ICS browser? My previous Android phone (HTC Incredible S) running Gingerbread had an option in the browser settings to set wether it defaulted to mobile pages or desktop pages.

With 4.0.1, the browser crashed a lot for me. After selecting display desktop version (or whatever its called) under settings, it would work for a few minutes before closing the desktop and reverting to defaulting to displaying mobile version of sites when available.

With 4.0.4 the browser reliability has improved quite a bit. A lot less crashing but it still will lose the setting to show pages in the desktop version. I am aware of using ICS browser+ to get around this or about:debug but this seems like such a huge step backwards compared to Gingerbread.

Is there a way to provide feedback to Google about this?

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's a bug. But is an oversight. The browser is a mobile browser, and it always runs as such. The "Request Desktop..." option I think was meant as just that. An option or temporary setting.

I agree, I wish it would keep the setting. Not sure of the URL, but there is a Google site for reporting bugs. Just Google it.

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Like font1975 said, the option to request the desktop version of a site is temporary. It's just for that one time.

To go along with olliex11, you should try Chrome Beta. It's similar to the stock ICS browser, but with refinements. I also think it's loads pages slightly faster. However, it also does not have a sticky option to keep viewing the desktop version of pages.

hotdoggnboi

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I tried out the Chrome Beta, and other than being able to access open tabs on my desktop version, the Chrome beta would not play flash videos on web sites. So disappointed. I might check it out again once they have that fixed. So far for me the stock browser works great!

bloo0153

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I used Chrome for a while but have gone back to Dolphin HD. It is much faster since the last update. I like how the bookmarks are just a swipe away.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I think the rumor is chrome will be a stock browser for jellybean. I use chrome but I think the dolphin browser rocks on speed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastura24