ICS is rolling out again.

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
My gut tells me this is just the previous update resuming its roll out. If this was a newer version I believe strongly that we would have heard about it already. I'm of the opinion that this resumption is Sprint simply prepping for another update.

Updates are typically a delta, or change, from a previous version. Since Sprint didn't rollback the previous update and revert back to GB, they need phones to be on a particular version in order to install another update. I believe this is them doing that.

This is my thought as well - on my last phone (O.G. Epic) the updates from eclair to froyo and then froyo to GB were both followed within a few weeks by a 2nd update which fixed many of the common bugs. I think this is samsung's standard operating procedure. They got ICS out there, had the world perform their beta testing ;) and once the bugs were found they start working on a 2nd more solid update.

sbutcher

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm gonna play the wait game and see if there's anymore issues with this update.....Sprint tech told me to wait and see if the next update is buggy....I had my ph rolled back to Gingerbread.....

How did you go about doing the rollback to GB? I went to the Sprint store and they flat out told me it was not possible - that the only were installing the new software going forward (ICS). Are they lying to me? What did you say in order to get them to roll it back. I hate what this update has done to my phone.

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I found the new file to have some additional lines in the updater-script:

Code:
Code:
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p10", "/data");
delete_recursive("/data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod");

unmount("/data");

So we are looking at a fix for the swype issue a lot of people reported right away - wonder if this is the only difference...

After some further digging, it is my opinion that the swype data clear is the ONLY difference in the 7/31 update - in other words this is exactly the same as FF18 if you hit "clear data" on swype.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsukiyomi

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I have had no issues with Swype after the update. My battery has been a ton better after the 2nd factory reset.

If you don't use swype, did a factory reset, or cleared data on swype you would not see any force closes with it. This 7/31 update is to cover anyone who falls outside that criteria and would probably see it force close.

richardodn

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It is indeed FF18. Specifically

3.0.15-SPH-D710.FF18-CL663858
se.infra@SEP-113 #3

It's likely a repackage of the original update with changes to the install script to reset some data. I think more than the swype data is wiped. For instance, all my bluetooth pairings were wiped.

So far, I'm not seeing excessive battery drain. It does seem to use it faster though. But that could also be because I've been playing with it and reconfiguring. For kicks, I went to the stock ICS launcher and have been playing with that.

At this time I have no specific complaints.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
How did you go about doing the rollback to GB? I went to the Sprint store and they flat out told me it was not possible - that the only were installing the new software going forward (ICS). Are they lying to me? What did you say in order to get them to roll it back. I hate what this update has done to my phone.

If it is not possible, it is because the store you went to won't do it.

If you want to take matters into your own hands, and tell your local Sprint store to pound sand, here you go ...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...2158-guide-how-rollback-gingerbread-el29.html

markta

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I called Sprint a number of times. The last time I called they told me to go to my Sprint store and they can put my phone on the 'machine' and i will be back on GB in a half an hour. I called my local Sprint corp. store and they said come in and drop it off for 2 hours and they can regress back to GB 'no problem'. I ran down to the store (45 minute drive) walkede in and was told 'We cant do that!' I told them I spoke to 1888 Sprint and they told me that the store can do it. I said 'Lets go make a call to them right now, you and I' .They refused! and told me that the CS reps at1888 Sprint are clueless and are just shirking responsibility.
They did take my phone in for 2 hours and did a factory reset. I spoke with the tech and he told me that it is all Sammy's fault and he is 'suffering' also with his phone. I asked if they test OS supplied to Sprint and he replied 'No' and they have zero control of what is sent out.
I asked to replace my phone with another epic and he said he cannot guarantee that the new phone wont have ICS and my phone does not qualify for a replacement anyways b/c it is not broken. I have insurance and mentioned about dropping it in a glass of beer and he replied ' i cant tell you what you should or should not do'. He said he has had loads of people coming on on this issue and he will be speaking with sammy rep this week when he sees him. Whatever!!

Needless to say my phone battery still sucks, keys at the bottom of phone don't always work, and am charging my phone twice a day!!!!

P.S. They also pulled the old spin battery on the counter test too. Oh and I passed!!!

Mark

Last edited:

markta

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I called Sprint a number of times. The last time I called they told me to go to my Sprint store and they can put my phone on the 'machine' and i will be back on GB in a half an hour. I called my local Sprint corp. store and they said come in and drop it off for 2 hours and they can regress back to GB 'no problem'. I ran down to the store (45 minute drive) walkede in and was told 'We cant do that!' I told them I spoke to 1888 Sprint and they told me that the store can do it. I said 'Lets go make a call to them right now, you and I' .They refused! and told me that the CS reps at1888 Sprint are clueless and are just shirking responsibility.
They did take my phone in for 2 hours and did a factory reset. I spoke with the tech and he told me that it is all Sammy's fault and he is 'suffering' also with his phone. I asked if they test OS supplied to Sprint and he replied 'No' and they have zero control of what is sent out.
Needless to say my phone battery still sucks, keys at the bottom of phone don't always work, and am charging my phone twice a day!!!!

P.S. They also pulled the old spin battery on the counter test too. Oh and I passed!!!

Mark

MistaBaltimore

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
READ THIS.... I received todays update around 7am but obviously waited untill i read all the feedbacks...So i said WTH and updated at 7pm tonight and it is working GREAT! Mind you i already had the 7/12/12 to 7/20/12 update weeks ago but had my phone replaced..so i know how aweful it was.. The battery is working JUST FINE as the GB was, Swype is good, Scrolling has been tweaked down a notch to a more workable pace and not insane as before, oddly my carrier signal seems BETTER too ! Look, if your one of the people reading this post with a UPDATE AVAILABLE message chillin on your phone right now going CRAZY with contimplation, i say DO IT ! ..todays OTA UPDATE seems to be the real deal. Iffffff you already have the update and your battery is still draining, you have to do a CACHE PARTITION and possibly a factory reset with it and your battery should purr like a kitten... I am a very honest person and know how everyone is feeling right now, STOP BITING YOUR NAILS OFF! ..do it. :)

MistaBaltimore

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
ALSO...Todays update seemed to take a little longer.. When i did it before, it breezed threw and finished at about 1 1/2 minutes but today it lasted for about 3 minutes..as if it actually took its time and did it the RIGHT WAY which i really like.. Unlike the last one it had more info boxes pop up during the download informing more of what it was doing.. Also this time after it was done i received APP UPDATES for 9 of my apps all of which were a "4.0.4 update" for the apps ..and YES, they were the same apps i had during the last update before.. On some real sh** ya'll this update today is DEF tweaked of improvement and seems to be the REAL DEAL !! Update ur damn pho.es already..the hell you waiting for !?!?! :)

spark957

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything you are saying I've been on my phone hard core for 4 hours and made a little dent in battery

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I called one of the local Sprint stores in Honolulu, Hawaii and told them the issues I had with my ph after ICS update. I had heat issues so bad that I couldn't keep the phone in my pants pocket, freezing of the phone as well as the keyboard and also had to pull the battery out a few times. Sprint dude told me just bring it into their store so they could roll it back to GB. I took it in a few days later. The Sprint tech told me they had lots of customers come into the store to flash back to GB. I even spoke to a Sprint cust. rep by dialing *2 and he was very surprised to find out a local Sprint store was able to flash back to GB.

vidroid

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Just got the new OTA! I was one of those disappointed that I never got last month's update, so I just finished updating. Will see how it goes but right now I'm glad to get it.:D

CRS1

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Just got the new OTA! I was one of those disappointed that I never got last month's update, so I just finished updating. Will see how it goes but right now I'm glad to get it.:D

I feel sorry for you young grasshopper. You will soon see ICS sucks on this phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
READ THIS.... I received todays update around 7am but obviously waited untill i read all the feedbacks...So i said WTH and updated at 7pm tonight and it is working GREAT! Mind you i already had the 7/12/12 to 7/20/12 update weeks ago but had my phone replaced..so i know how aweful it was.. The battery is working JUST FINE as the GB was, Swype is good, Scrolling has been tweaked down a notch to a more workable pace and not insane as before, oddly my carrier signal seems BETTER too ! Look, if your one of the people reading this post with a UPDATE AVAILABLE message chillin on your phone right now going CRAZY with contimplation, i say DO IT ! ..todays OTA UPDATE seems to be the real deal. Iffffff you already have the update and your battery is still draining, you have to do a CACHE PARTITION and possibly a factory reset with it and your battery should purr like a kitten... I am a very honest person and know how everyone is feeling right now, STOP BITING YOUR NAILS OFF! ..do it. :)

ALSO...Todays update seemed to take a little longer.. When i did it before, it breezed threw and finished at about 1 1/2 minutes but today it lasted for about 3 minutes..as if it actually took its time and did it the RIGHT WAY which i really like.. Unlike the last one it had more info boxes pop up during the download informing more of what it was doing.. Also this time after it was done i received APP UPDATES for 9 of my apps all of which were a "4.0.4 update" for the apps ..and YES, they were the same apps i had during the last update before.. On some real sh** ya'll this update today is DEF tweaked of improvement and seems to be the REAL DEAL !! Update ur damn pho.es already..the hell you waiting for !?!?! :)

I found the new file to have some additional lines in the updater-script:

Code:
Code:
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p10", "/data");
delete_recursive("/data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod");

unmount("/data");

So we are looking at a fix for the swype issue a lot of people reported right away - wonder if this is the only difference...

After some further digging, it is my opinion that the swype data clear is the ONLY difference in the 7/31 update - in other words this is exactly the same as FF18 if you hit "clear data" on swype.

Sorry, but any improvement you are seeing I would attribute to your replaced hardware. Wiping data/starting fresh has already been mentioned in other places as a solution to many issues with ICS. However, you will still see higher than GB battery drain, Wifi sleep bug, etc etc.

ivtec21

May 3, 2012
Visit site
hopefully my gf's phone actually gets the update this time. Im still running the 1st ICS OTA and its running good for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777