ICS update

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
and well we wait and wait and wait...on and on and on it goes....why do we continue to torture ourselves this way....everyday i hit this site looking and hoping for ICS and it never comes. Should have sold the A500 when I had a chance and buy a IPAD 2 ...Oh well the guy I was going to sell it to bought a iPad 2 since I told him I was keeping my A500 and ICS was coming in January...Just my luck..I guess I'll just use it as is and forget about ICS...This is wrecking my sleep and everything else worrying about it. I am caught up with all this Android crap anyway. New devices coming out daily. Why don't they just improve the ones they have like the iPhone series. Never saw apple just can a device. Always improving it. Anyway hope you all enjoy the ICS when or if it arrives cause this is the last day I am going to check on it.

Krasin

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
its running really well, most of the bugs are worked out only things that dont work are the camera and camcorder :( I really cant wait for that to get fixed!

Sadly that won't be fixed until they get drivers from the official Acer ICS. I don't know about you, but I don't really ever take pictures with my tab so I'm not missing it.

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well january has come and gone and no ics for a500. my money is on that it never will. just a lot of false hope put out by acer. bye bye acer I'm done with you.

Incognitum

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
well january has come and gone and no ics for a500. my money is on that it never will. just a lot of false hope put out by acer. bye bye acer I'm done with you.

Didn't you read the post right before this?! It's out and it's good (no cameras yet, but honestly who uses them on the tablets anyways). I guess if you expect your technology to be smarter than you, then please get an ipad and take your gloomy self to a genies bar to ask when the next version of ios is coming out.

But, if you like to tell your technology who's in charge, then flash a rom, get yo'self some ICS ans be HAPPY! (no really, ice cream can do that to a person)

robkort

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The only leaked ROM out is for the A200, nothing yet for the A500 unless you are talking about a custom ROM.

Sent from Rob's Atrix

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Didn't you read the post right before this?! It's out and it's good (no cameras yet, but honestly who uses them on the tablets anyways). I guess if you expect your technology to be smarter than you, then please get an ipad and take your gloomy self to a genies bar to ask when the next version of ios is coming out.

But, if you like to tell your technology who's in charge, then flash a rom, get yo'self some ICS ans be HAPPY! (no really, ice cream can do that to a person)

Well from what you say I guess I'm kidding myself to even think I need to be a Android user. I am not a tech kind of guy so all this flashing and rooting and all this other stuff that people talk about is greek to me. If Android requires a person to constantly fiddle with the dang thing then I guess I'm out classed. I just want to turn it on and it work and be able to get OTA updates in a timely fashion. What I see with Android devices is a very short lifespan which equates to a short time period of support from the manufacture and the end user is left hanging pretty soon after buying the device and in the case of a phone being locked in to a 2 year contract with no way out. Call me stupid but that is the way I see Android devices.

jhowle9475

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Well in responce to your comments, they are kinda of fair but lets be honest and consider the alternatives. The only one that is out there is the iPAD which if you take it in a technical since, apple is the ONLY maker and when it comes to improvements from old device to the next new device, they are few and far between. Apple is the worlds only legal drug dealer and they do get you on the come back. They sell you a device which in some cases is adequate and or beats the users expectation. When a new device comes out you will see really nothing but small changes from device to device so in essence does it become worth it to go out and spend another 700 bux for a small update like siri that will probably be made available for older device after they reach the sale goals of the new one. Apple devices whether it be a PC or Tablet or iphone or ipod, all run the same OS, they just call it something different and make small user interface changes to think you have a shiny new device. All in all, they devices run 3 years behind everything else.

Just bare this in mind, everyone has their own opinion about things but to be properly informed we all need to consider the whole picture before making judgements... Just to be fair with ourselves.

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Well in responce to your comments, they are kinda of fair but lets be honest and consider the alternatives. The only one that is out there is the iPAD which if you take it in a technical since, apple is the ONLY maker and when it comes to improvements from old device to the next new device, they are few and far between. Apple is the worlds only legal drug dealer and they do get you on the come back. They sell you a device which in some cases is adequate and or beats the users expectation. When a new device comes out you will see really nothing but small changes from device to device so in essence does it become worth it to go out and spend another 700 bux for a small update like siri that will probably be made available for older device after they reach the sale goals of the new one. Apple devices whether it be a PC or Tablet or iphone or ipod, all run the same OS, they just call it something different and make small user interface changes to think you have a shiny new device. All in all, they devices run 3 years behind everything else.

Just bare this in mind, everyone has their own opinion about things but to be properly informed we all need to consider the whole picture before making judgements... Just to be fair with ourselves.

Not sure why all the misinfo about Apple. The OS their PCs is completely different from mobile. Its like comparing Windows 7 to Windows mobile 7.

Also don't forget Apple supports their systems with phone support as well as in-person at Apple Stores. Their Apple Store support is excellent and includes free training. Android tablets don't even come close. I have tried the Acer support for my A500 and its nothing but canned responses - worthless.

Meanwhile my original almost 2 year old iPad was updated more recently than my A500 and still works great and is much more stable. There's also a lot to be said for its standby time. I can forget it for a week and pick it up and still have most of my battery charge. My A500 is dead in 2 days in standby and needs frequent charging.

If you are looking for a tablet that is guaranteed excellent support and updates, iPad is the only way to go.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I really don't understand the mentallity that because ICS has been released ANY vendor has to immediately update their hardware. I don't buy a product with the initial idea that the software will be updated as soon as its released. I buy an item because iI like how it works out of the box. If the vendor updates the software then that's a bonus. I have no issues with honeycomb and will be ok if ICS does not come to my A500. The iPad and iPhone are proprietary so apple is working on an update for their own product. Acer, Samsung, Motorola and every other company that uses Android software are working with third party software and must tweak it for their 2 to 5 uniquely individual models on the market and 2 or three models still yet to be released to make it their own. If your happiness is derived from having the latest software upgrade or the newest item, maybe your money should be spent on a shrink to figure out the real issue instead of the newest gadget. Just sayin'.

Charlesleonard

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I really don't understand the mentallity that because ICS has been released ANY vendor has to immediately update their hardware. I don't buy a product with the initial idea that the software will be updated as soon as its released. I buy an item because iI like how it works out of the box. If the vendor updates the software then that's a bonus. I have no issues with honeycomb and will be ok if ICS does not come to my A500. The iPad and iPhone are proprietary so apple is working on an update for their own product. Acer, Samsung, Motorola and every other company that uses Android software are working with third party software and must tweak it for their 2 to 5 uniquely individual models on the market and 2 or three models still yet to be released to make it their own. If your happiness is derived from having the latest software upgrade or the newest item, maybe your money should be spent on a shrink to figure out the real issue instead of the newest gadget. Just sayin'.

Well said! However I still am looking forward to the update and would like it sooner than later. :D

rednocturne307

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Ok as much as I understand the validity of your argument, please try not to be such an ass about it. That last sentence was completely uncalled for. No one needs to see a shrink, and it is offensive to those of us who DO need to see therapists. Some people like to have the latest and the greatest and this is by no means an psychological problem. Everyone is different. Get over it. Your point of view isn't always right for everone. Basically, if you're going to debate that's fine. That's what forums are for. Just please try not to be offensive.

*rant finished*

Personally, I really hope we get ICS at some point, not because I am not happy with my tablet but simply because it would demonstrate that Acer is really serious about being competitive in the tablet market. It will be a message to their consumers that they are ready to step up to the plate and be a company of their word. So far that has been rare in the Android tablet market where consumers seem to get nothing but silence from vendors and given the run around with no support after 6 or so months.

Last edited:

jhowle9475

May 7, 2011
Visit site
well the fan boys can argue all they want about how iOS is different from OSX because is essence apple is good at pushing LANGUAGE to suck people in. In reality they both share the joshua code which was initally written in the 70's. Also, so much has had to change for apple because technology has left them behind. One case in point is the motorola CPU and LCD screens. Apple had to take thinngs from the PC world to continue like asking samsung for an LCD screen (keep in mind they are sewing samsung) and Intel for CPU's. Now these are just a few but there are many more. The joshua code is outdated and obsolete but apple is to tied in their own business model to move from it. it works ONLY because apple controls it but at the same time it doesn't work with much else. Being in the military, our forms are all electronic and don't work on apple just to name an example. So many manufacturers don't want to get caught up in the in licensing issue with apple. eventually as technology move, apple just may put themselves out of business. I can only hope.....lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jannel91