If i turned off the wireless display while my phone still connected to neighbor TV what will happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
Soo, I accidentally connected my phone to neighbor tv, then I instantly turned off the wireless display, does my phone disconnected from his TV?

And if I turned on the wireless display again, does his TV will automatically reconnect to my phone?

If he turn his TV off, does my phone disconnect from his TV? And once he's turning his TV back, does it still connected to my phone?

Please someone answer this, I'm scared right now

Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
It doesn't show anything on the wireless display list, it only contains the name of the tv , below it is some sort of model name , and a ">" Arrow at the right corner.

When I press it, the model name change to "connecting" After that without thinking more, I press it again and then press "disconnect" button before it finished (I mean connected).

My question is if I turn off my wireless display, will my phone disconnects from his tv?

His tv still at the list at that time (regardless when I activate or deactivated the wireless display) (but if I activate/deactivate it, the effects only that I think it's auto disconnect it) (I'm still asking because it stuck on "connecting" State, I'm just scared if it's secretly actually connected while I'm activate/deactivate it)

(I think the reason the tv doesn't disappear from the list is because my phone and his tv were from a same company. For a different tv company however, if I deactivate it their tv were disappeared from the list unlike the tv from the same company where my phone came)

This current time, his tv were disappeared from my wireless display list (I think he turned off his tv).

If he actually turned off his tv, does my phone disconnected automatically from his tv? And when if he turn it back on does my phone still connected to his tv I'm scared if he can see my activities or maybe can control my phone if it still connected

I'm scared

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

Your neighbor can't connect to your phone and best way is to disconnect from the TV is choose forget on the list and shouldn't connect anymore.

Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
Okay, you say my neighbor can't connect to my phone

I'm currently asking am I truly get rid of the connection between his tv and my phone? , I can't really tell of it because wireless display do not show any notification or a sign that my phone is connected to his tv, I'm scared if my phone secretly still connected to his tv

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
(I updated my previous reply a bit (the very first reply) )

Soo am I actually safe?

I already disconnect it but at that time it was stuck forever at "connecting" State, which is different from "connected" State ("connected" state never happened in my story, it's just only for a sign if it's connected) . This is why I ask you

am I truly disconnected when I press the disconnect button?

His tv cannot disappear/deleted from the list (it disappear sometimes but I think it's because he turned off his tv)

If I turn off the wireless display instead doing anything to remove him from the list, can he still see my phone screen even if the wireless display were Turned off?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: If i wireless display my phone to a tv , can that tv control the phone?

No. But if you have to connect to your neighbor's wi-fi network, your phone will show up in their Google Home as a new device connected to the network. They can't do anything to control the phone, but they'll see you're connected.

How exactly did you connect to the neighbor's TV? Was it a Samsung smart TV? Or did you connect through Chromecast?

Which phone do you have?

The bottom line is that someone can't control your phone just because you connected to use it as a wireless display.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Duplicate threads merged.

I also made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

Friendly reminder -- we are an independent community forum, and the Ambassadors are all volunteers. We answer questions when we have time, so please be patient if you don't get a response quickly.:)

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
It's important you take into consideration that simply because you're detecting the wireless signal from your neighbor's WiFi network, it is not the same as actually connecting to it. If you did try to cast your phone to his TV, that requires some kind authentication to do so. And even if your neighbor did for some odd reason give their passwords, it's still a matter where a TV has only very, very minimal user interface capabilities (i.e. usually a proprietary remote that's only tied to that model TV, or if a universal remote requires a pairing process).

Bottom line to your questions are no, this isn't an issue to get all flustered over. It's important to not get immersed in all the conspiracy theories and fear mongering going on now. Unless you and your neighbor have a password sharing agreement with each other, your respective TVs and home networks should be isolated from each other -- again, simply because you detect each other's wireless signals floating around, that doesn't mean you can just automatically connect to each other. Or in other words, with no actual connection there's no actual access.

Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
Re: If i wireless display my phone to a tv , can that tv control the phone?

B. Diddy rep

I did not connected to his network at all, it just show up like my phone detects it, when I try to connect, it just stuck at "connecting" And then I "disconnect" it because it stucks, am I truly disconnected?

Also the tv there was 2 tv signals in my phone, it was Samsung tv and a mi tv that was from a same company as my phone.

If I turned off the wireless display, the Samsung tv goes disappear from the list but for mi tv, it just stays there , no matter how many times is activate/deactivate the wireless display

Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
If once i disconnected from him, is there some sort of reconnecting system? Like for example if he turned off his tv, or I'm turned off my phone or I'm too far from his tv

and then both of us were within the range and his and my devices were also active at the same time

Will my phone or his tv reconnect eachother?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
Smvim

Does my phone stuck on "connecting" state was because I'm not in a same network as him? Am I right about this?

I also pressed disconnect at that time before his tv disappear from the list (I think it's because he turned off his tv)

But why youtube screen cast still working even if I'm not in a same network as his tv?

I'm supposedly safe right now, right?

Last edited:

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
Just to help clarify what the OP @Sialeng10 is mentioning : he / she now mentions a Mi setting.

I have 2 Xiaomi phones. A Poco F2 Pro and a Mi 10 Lite. Others are named Redmi, Xiaomi and their gaming brand (?)
I visit a chain of cheap hotels with Samsung TVvs but while I can Cast to them I generally use a Chromecast.

MIUI (13) has several confusing / conflicting connection settings which I never totally got on top of, or used.

Wireless Display is one of these.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-12-01-15-57-322_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-12-01-15-57-322_com.android.settings.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_2022-07-12-01-16-04-289_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-12-01-16-04-289_com.android.settings.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_2022-07-12-01-16-31-841_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-12-01-16-31-841_com.android.settings.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2022-07-12-01-16-46-123_com.miui.mishare.connectivity.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-12-01-16-46-123_com.miui.mishare.connectivity.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_2022-07-12-01-17-18-198_com.milink.service.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-12-01-17-18-198_com.milink.service.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 3

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just to help clarify what the OP @Sialeng10 is mentioning : he / she now mentions a Mi setting.

I have 2 Xiaomi phones. A Poco F2 Pro and a Mi 10 Lite. Others are named Redmi, Xiaomi and their gaming brand (?)
I visit a chain of cheap hotels with Samsung TVvs but while I can Cast to them I generally use a Chromecast.

MIUI (13) has several confusing / conflicting connection settings which I never totally got on top of, or used.

Thanks for chiming in

Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
On the second picture (2) in my side , there was a Samsung smart tv exists on my list, when I press the > arrow, it says "connecting" ,It stuck there forever. Then I'm disconnect from it because it stuck. My question is , am I truly disconnecting from my neighbor tv? Or it is secretly still connected and my neighbor currently seeing my phone on his tv

I did not share a same network with my neighbor, we both have different WiFi

But my phone did catch the signal from my neighbor tv (only if I activate the wireless display) and his tv did exist on the wireless display list. But when I connects to it it stuck on "connecting"

But at this time , the tv disappear from the list, it do not say "unavailable" Like yours, it just completely disappear like the tv never existed, why the tv disappeared??

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022
Visit site

Sir, I wanna ask something. If you're very far from your hotel, does your phone still connected to the Samsung tv?

And do your phone like auto reconnect to the tv if you're coming back to your hotel? Or it stop connecting?

If it's not connected, does those tv
"completely" disappear from your wireless display list like whats currently happening to me?

Last edited:

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
It's night here and I haven't fully read.

I don't think I used Wireless Connection to Cast to the Samsung hotel TV (using their free wifi) but I see a list of past connections to those ONLY if I turn that Setting ON, which I only did for the screenshot. So when that button is Off, which it always is, there's nothing showing under that switch. When you turn it on you have to agree to turn WiFi On.
I used the Cast setting to connect to the TV (I think) and you have to turn Bluetooth On.

(... 345 sheep, 346 sheep, 3...

Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
It's night here and I haven't fully read.

I don't think I used Wireless Connection to Cast to the Samsung hotel TV (using their free wifi) but I see a list of past connections to those ONLY if I turn that Setting ON, which I only did for the screenshot. So when that button is Off, which it always is, there's nothing showing under that switch. When you turn it on you have to agree to turn WiFi On.
I used the Cast setting to connect to the TV (I think) and you have to turn Bluetooth On.

(... 345 sheep, 346 sheep, 3...

Have you tried turning off the cast while our phone still connected to the tv? What will happen if it's turned off when you still casting?

If you do, does your phone give prompt to disconnect first when you press that button (to turn it off)? Or it just turned without any prompt/warning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca