If we keep them can we expect future OTA updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I never thought about Samsung sending out an update that will possibly shut our phones down and make sure they wont power back on... It would be very difficult to use my phone with that big 1 on my setting icon. Let's hope it doesn't come down to that point. In the mean time I'm holding on to my N7 for as long as possible. At what point will T-Mobile care if I still have the N7? Also in the mean time I'm still going to be charged $32.50 a month. If Samsung and T-Mobile really don't want us to use it they will send out an update and disable the phone and stop charging us for the phone...but that wont happen. :(

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Nah, it's toast. Why would Samsung and the carrier's spend the money to keep it updated? Sad but it's over. Just get a Pixel or iPhone and enjoy fantastic timely support for years.

Don't buy an iPhone. Unless you want a future of phones without the headphone jack.

UKgalaxy

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
For those people who have decided to keep their N7 despite the recall I would be very cautious. My concern would be should something happen with your device, i.e. Start smoking/cause a fire then apart from the obvious risk to yours and there safety I very much doubt any damage caused would be covered by insurance companies since Samsung have clearly identified a risk with these devices hence the halt in production and advice given to power them down.

I know the chances are absolutely remote but just think if you left your device at home or in the car and it starts smouldering and causes a fire. Any insurance claim could quite likely be rejected because of the known risk and you could be left severely ££££'s out of pocket.

I'm gutted it has gone this way because I was waiting to upgrade to one myself.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Pixel is a Google experiment. Version 1 tech. I would not recommend getting one based on my experience with version 1 of anything. To each their own though. As far as the new iPhone goes, for somebody who was already on a 6s series (6s Plus in my case), the new iPhone is junk. New color, same old crap.

lol I think Google knows how to develop software for a phone and HTC knows how to manufacture one. It's hardly a risky experiment

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has said that the phone should not now, and not ever again receive power. There for any updates that don't directly encourage that action, will be going directly against their stated goal...getting every single one of them off the street.

This phone hasn't been discontinued, it has been given a death sentence. The Note 4 was discontinued, the s6 has been discontinued, the Note 7 has been erased from existence.

I worry that if i hang on to it, that in 12 months AT&T won't consider it a "working" smartphone for the purposes of trading it in for another device.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I worry that if i hang on to it, that in 12 months AT&T won't consider it a "working" smartphone for the purposes of trading it in for another device.

It won't come to that. They'll flip the kill switch within a week or two.

It would be incredibly dumb not to, since Samsung currently has some liability if one of the Note 7s causes damage or injury. Once the kill switch is flipped, anyone who manages to hack around it and get it running again would be personally liable for damages, and Samsung is legally off the hook since the device has been modified.

It's much better to head straight to your carrier's store and do an instant exchange for something you think you can live with. Ain't no phone features worth risking the toxic fumes from a burning battery, not to mention the risk of a spreading fire or injury.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The phone is discontinued.

Samsung has already asked everyone to return their Note 7s.

Face it, the phone is dead. There is really no reason to keep it unless you want a sleek, edged, beautiful but potentially combustible paperweight.

I've already done a reset on mine and have shut it off to be returned for a refund. Will be ordering another phone in the coming days.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Since it's been discontinued, it will be worthless to AT&T. They can't refurbish it and resell it. So no, you won't be able to trade it in at that point.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
If Samsung continued to send out updates for the N7 then they would be implying they are still supporting the phone. The last thing Samsung wants to do is continue supporting this phone and open themselves up to more law suits. Chances are they will send out updates to limit battery capacity or even phone function to encourage stubborn people to get rid of the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.