If you miss the removable battery, the power bank is a good alternative.

Mycrossover

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
... the power bank is a good alternative. You will be able to use the phone while it is being charged.
I have a 4 year old 10,000 mAh power bank and it charges my V30 from 15% to 100% in just 2 hours. Newer power banks with higher output should do better.
Bigger power banks can charge longer, hold more recharges, but not faster charges The phone controls the charge rate.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Bigger power banks can charge longer, hold more recharges, but not faster charges The phone controls the charge rate.

Not exactly a true statement..... Newer power banks that are quick charge compatible or power delivery compatible charge at a faster rate than traditional power banks. Yes... The charge is still regulated by the phone but they charge just as fast as a wired fast charger.

Mycrossover

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Not exactly a true statement..... Newer power banks that are quick charge compatible or power delivery compatible charge at a faster rate than traditional power banks. Yes... The charge is still regulated by the phone but they charge just as fast as a wired fast charger.
Thanks for the update. It has been a while since I looked at power banks. I just researched the improvements. I see we are up to Qualcomm 4.0. Do the phones have to match the particular algorythm or is any fast charge phone compatible with the various versions 1,2,3 or 4? I would guess they do or it would be a marketing nightmare.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Except that as I said, it's not really feasible long term because every time you open it up to change the battery the seals receive more wear and tear.

The way that the S5 was designed, the back was 100% easily replaceable. Even if the rubber wore out (which I very highly doubt) you can get a new cheap plastic back, no problems. The only issue was the USB port had a little cover that came off eventually but even that thing is replaceable for very cheap. The S5 design was cool and unique, however very ugly in today's standards. Proves you CAN have removable back with water resistance. I've tested the S5 in swimming pools, it does a great job.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The way that the S5 was designed, the back was 100% easily replaceable. Even if the rubber wore out (which I very highly doubt) you can get a new cheap plastic back, no problems. The only issue was the USB port had a little cover that came off eventually but even that thing is replaceable for very cheap. The S5 design was cool and unique, however very ugly in today's standards. Proves you CAN have removable back with water resistance. I've tested the S5 in swimming pools, it does a great job.

It doesn't matter.... removable batteries are gone and not making a comeback anytime soon. That's the harsh reality whether any of us like it or not.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Dang.. imagine how bulky and huge that is.. plus 2 hours plugged in via USB cable.. kinda inconvenient if you ask me. But my problem is longevity.. probably 2 years maximum before needing to buy a new phone because of dying battery. Plus most power banks are made of hard metal.. the metal will scratch and damage your phone if you put it together...

RAV power makes plastic high capacity quick charge compatible packs.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The S5 design was horrible... just awful.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter.... removable batteries are gone and not making a comeback anytime soon. That's the harsh reality whether any of us like it or not.

Yeah I know that. But the thousands of V20s and G5s are still used and are around and people are still swapping batteries at the moment. Battery technology is indeed getting better so there wouldn't be a need for it anymore, sooner or later they will be using a totally different battery that will have a longer life span. Right now, batteries and phones are "disposable", 2 years tops.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Fans agreed with the removal of the micro SD and removable battery? It created an up-roar but fans have no choice but to accept it. They did bring back the micro SD though, good thing.

Just saying you said some fans agree .. i said some fans disagree. I still am not wrong. Neither are you.