I'm in for 500.00

livetovacation60

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
This is my 4th Pixel phone and I was one year ahead of schedule getting a new one. I kept looking at the 7, reading all those good reviews, and was happy that there was some improvement with the Fingerprint sensor. I was tempted, but resisted, until my girlfriend dropped my old 3a XL and rendered it useless. So she is now the proud owner of my 5A which I liked a lot!!

I am pretty much a no frills guy. Give me a decent camera, good battery life and a stable OS and I’m good to go. Well anyway 500 bucks later I’m pretty darn happy! I got it in white, and when I first opened up the box I really liked the way it looked. Two minutes later it was cased and that was the end of that.

So Thursday morning I start setting it up and have immediate issues with the Fingerprint sensor, 48 hours later it’s better, but still a little frustrating. On the other hand I never really cared about Face Unlock, nor had it, but I can tell you “I like it” and it’s worked perfectly. So I’m only dealing with the Fingerprint sensor when it’s too dark. I’m old, it’s winter, and my skin is drying out….more hand cream then normal has helped with the FR. However it’ll never compare to the one’s on the back of the phone. I hate that that’s gone away.

With the exception of the FR which I’m working through, I’m overall pretty happy with the phone. Not quite sure about the battery life but too early to form any conclusions. Obviously I’m not expecting it to match up with my 5A, but so far was hoping it would be a little better. Not too shabby for 500 bucks!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on the new phone? Did you apply a screen protector? The FPS can be finicky when it comes to screen protectors -- I applied a relatively cheap one to my wife's 7, which the FPS doesn't like. There are screen protectors that Google actually certifies will work: https://support.google.com/pixelpho...-unlock-not-working-on-pixel-and-later-phones. But it wasn't important enough to my wife for me to replace the screen protector.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I got tired of buying cheap Motorola phones (which they don’t bother to update) for my Other Half, so we got her a Pixel 5a. She loves it! I like it too, because of the ease of keeping it up to date, as a Pixel.

You are right about the rear fingerprint sensor in the Pixel 5. I put up with the ones under the screen on the Pixel 6 because I had to.

I wish the 7 Pro still had the rear sensor, but I guess you can’t stop “progress”.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on your Pixel 7 purchase! The white colour sure is beautiful, you are right! It's a captivating shade on that device.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the fingerprint sensor! It could very well be that hand cream is affecting it. Have you tried deleting and re-registering your fingerprints? What about using the same finger, but on your opposite hand? Lastly, does restarting the phone so anything?

livetovacation60

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
I got tired of buying cheap Motorola phones (which they don’t bother to update) for my Other Half, so we got her a Pixel 5a. She loves it! I like it too, because of the ease of keeping it up to date, as a Pixel.

You are right about the rear fingerprint sensor in the Pixel 5. I put up with the ones under the screen on the Pixel 6 because I had to.

I wish the 7 Pro still had the rear sensor, but I guess you can’t stop “progress”.

I'm afraid the rear fingerprint sensor is gone forever. Loved on my 2XL, 3a XL and 5A

livetovacation60

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
Congratulations on your Pixel 7 purchase! The white colour sure is beautiful, you are right! It's a captivating shade on that device.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the fingerprint sensor! It could very well be that hand cream is affecting it. Have you tried deleting and re-registering your fingerprints? What about using the same finger, but on your opposite hand? Lastly, does restarting the phone so anything?

Since my hands get so dry in the winter the hand cream is helping. I have deleted, then re-submitted my fingerprints a couple of times. I'm at the point where my index fingers on both hands are for the most part passable but still having a difficult time with my right thumb which for me is the most important. I think I will get through this it's just been a little frustrating. As I mentioned in my OP thank goodness for that face unlock......that has been flawless for me.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Did you have to change the setting for the FPS

Edit: I meant screen protector settings

Where is this setting?

Like @B. Diddy I have an inexpensive screen protector on mine, but mine seems to be working well with the FPS. The screen protector and a case were $18, and I'm not even using that case on the phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Where is this setting?

Like @B. Diddy I have an inexpensive screen protector on mine, but mine seems to be working well with the FPS. The screen protector and a case were $18, and I'm not even using that case on the phone.

I believe diesel97 was referring to the Settings>Display>Screen Protector Mode toggle, which increases touch sensitivity.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I don't have that turned on and have minimal issues with the finger print unlock...

Yeah, I don't think it would matter, since the FPS is optical, and shouldn't have anything to do with touch (unless touch is what activates the sensor?).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Since my hands get so dry in the winter the hand cream is helping. I have deleted, then re-submitted my fingerprints a couple of times. I'm at the point where my index fingers on both hands are for the most part passable but still having a difficult time with my right thumb which for me is the most important. I think I will get through this it's just been a little frustrating. As I mentioned in my OP thank goodness for that face unlock......that has been flawless for me.

As someone who gets super dry hands around this time of year, too, I can totally empathize! Glad Face Unlock is working flawlessly for you, though!

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm the only one I think that doesn't want any of these things.. I've never really used the headphone jack even when it was the thing.. I do remember swapping out batteries. That was pretty Cool!.. and I never used SIM tray lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts