I'm rooted+Cyanogen. How install kernel for better battery life?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I installed Cyanogenmod 9 (along with Google Apps). I've read that there are some kernels that give amazing battery life but I'm not sure how I get them and install them, or which I should choose. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Honestly stock kernel is pretty darn good, or was on RC1 when I was running it. Other kernels didn't play nice for me on cm9

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: I'm rooted+Cyanogen. How install kernel for better battery li

I installed Cyanogenmod 9 (along with Google Apps). I've read that there are some kernels that give amazing battery life but I'm not sure how I get them and install them, or which I should choose. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

I think you will find that your mileage varies with kernels. They are not all that they are cracked up to be. A solid ROM, judicious use of screen time/brightness, data control, and making sure you don't have rogue apps (facebook autosync, etc.) will be the primary means of extending your battery life.

Having said that, some of us would say that some kernels seem to manage better than others.

With CM9, the stock kernel outperformed any other kernel I tried. For most other ROMs I tried, Matrix worked best with my phone and my settings. For gingerbread ROMs, it was typically GLaDOS or franco that worked the best for me.

Having said that, you will find most kernels over at xda.

Steps are similar to flashing ROMs.

You'll want to download the kernel zip file and save it on your "sdcard." Then, boot into recovery. Make sure you wipe dalvik cache before you flash the kernel. After this, use CWM to install (a.k.a. "flash") the zip. Then reboot.

Paul726g posted a nice "sticky" with links and info about the various kernels.