I'm so disappointed....

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Nice to know I'm not the only fool feeling disgruntled, excluded and cranky about what the M9 is probably going to look like when we see it for reals next week. You've all done a bangup job of diagnosing the root causes of our sociopathy.

@evleaks definitely ought to have the soles of his feet blisterd by demented old nuns swinging fat wooden rulers for getting all of our hopes up for a major HTC design overhaul. And, yes, we all should have known better given HTC's track record as a solid but actually kinda stodgy company that just likes to pretend that it's youth-obsessed and trendy. (I mean, remember last year's spineshrinking fashion show for the Re camera launch? Still gives me the dry heaves thinking about it.)

Still and all, I'm going to throw in one more possible cause behind our (certainly my) reaction to the M9 "leaks." Friggin' Lollipop! If that incessantly and ridiculously puffed OS update had actually lived up to 50% of the hype that preceded its arrival on my M8, I wouldn't be out trying to score bigger and better tech thrills on the streets! or in the iOS part of town!

And one last thing. Seriously, will HTC ever stop wasting programming resources on perfecting still more limited-value chucklef*** camera tricks? (Instead of perfecting something like OIS, for instance.)

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
@evleaks definitely ought to have the soles of his feet blisterd by demented old nuns swinging fat wooden rulers for getting all of our hopes up for a major HTC design overhaul.

Most ridiculous comment I've read all day. BOTH are leaks. Take both with a grain of salt until March 1.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Bloggers and reviewers don't make a good phone. Either the public likes it or it doesn't, sales data/trends for the HTC line have been poor. It'll remain that way until the make a racquet in the marketplace and something takes hold for the consumer.

I picked up the M8 and put it down just as fast when I was looking at phones this past fall. Bloggers opinions mattered not to me that day. I'm not alone obviously with their sales data.

I think that you misunderstood me.
No, bloggers don't make good phones, but they do help promote them. They do help create buzz and interesting view points to help people decide what phone is best for them. Of course only we can decide what phone is best for ourselves, it's why I got an S4 when the m7 won phone of the year, and I'm a huge HTC fan.

Trust me, marketing sells phones. Not what is best or what your or my thoughts are. In fact reviews have little to do with sales in general. I could show you a phone or two with features that are from 2012 and it will out sell what ever phone you got this past fall due to heavy marketing. People don't buy the best phones in general, they buy what they are brainwashed into buying by advertising. That's how you get sales numbers.

But I can also show how bloggers can manipulate interested perspective buyers. Just look at how the interest of the gflex 2 both pre and post reviews has drastically changed. Just look at how the forums are dead now. Completely.
Sure, we can blame LG for its lack of refinements in the UI. But if bloggers didn't point out such issues that forum would still be alive today. I could point out how many people are fooled into buying nexus devices, and why they choose it over say a Samsung or HTC phone due to the hype or misinformation from tech sites. But if your looking for a phone with a great camera, then any nexus device is the last thing you should be looking at.
Edit: I could also prove how HTC designs have influenced Nvidia and Apple.

But here is the thing, you didn't prove your point. I stated that the m8 was a better phone then the m7. I proved how regardless of what bloggers posted, it was a better and more refined phone. You only proved that your an independent thinker and buy what you think is best for you. Congrats on not being a sheep and welcome to the club.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

Last edited:

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
warp...trust me...part of my feelings/opinion are shaped by how much I hope we get an evleaks type phone vs a rehashed M8. I have a Sammy, my wife has a Sammy, and so do many other family members & friends. I want to move on from the brand...just tired of it, so maybe my prognostications are part wishful thinking!

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
While I am looking for upgraded innards (64 bit; memory to support such innards); I don't want a "rehash" of a phone visually. I have owned nothing but HTC phones since I moved to smart phones. I would like very much to move to a M9 as my DNA is starting to give some death rattles and I bought it the first week it was offered. It has served me well.

I am like most here. I lived. I loved. I laughed. I cried. I am hoping it looks closer to the eva renders than the videos. I didnt really like the M8 design (speaker grills were a turn off to me). The videos show those same grills in the "M9". IF thats how it looks Ill pass. Those grills look right out of the 80's and I grew up in the 80s and am dog gone proud of it! :)

Each time my email beeps telling me a new M9 post has been updated I scramble to read it. I za needza updates! It feeds the need for information. But the nagging thought in my mind was all the hype to the Christmas deals/specials that never really resulted in anything usable other than the first one. :-\

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
warp...trust me...part of my feelings/opinion are shaped by how much I hope we get an evleaks type phone vs a rehashed M8. I have a Sammy, my wife has a Sammy, and so do many other family members & friends. I want to move on from the brand...just tired of it, so maybe my prognostications are part wishful thinking!

It's all good. I'm really on your side. But don't let others decide for you on what you should get or why you should get it. If looks are more important than how a phone works or well it performs, then who am I to stop you.

But while I also have concerns about the looks, I'll tell you right now that my m8 has great features and out performs most phones from the early 2014 season. In gaming and benchmarks, the m8 can beat not only the S5 and the G4, but also hang close with the 805 SOC phones that came out later in the year. It also flat out destroys the moto X in everything including battery life. And once you use boomsound speakers you'll never care about bezel size again.
But not only was HTC big on providing front facing speakers on a phone, but was also one of the first to have an IR Blaster to now turn your phone into a remote (not that Samsung didn't also provide this with the S4). plug in a high quality set of cans into the headphone jack and be amazed at how much better the quality is compared to all the competition.

HTC is also the last maker of phones to have text reflow on Android. So if reading websites is important to you then you should look into this.

And unlike most phones besides the moto X, HTC puts all their apps on the playstore so you never have to wait for a major update to get a bug fix or more features....no more waiting on carriers again.

And let's not forget the fastest and most fluid UI on any phone including iphones and nexus devices. I only wouldn't by an HTC phone if the camera is the most important feature you need. They always had poor cameras compared to Samsung and Apple.

There is no perfect phone. But I would never not get a phone because it looks like the past ones (no pun intended). I too just wish it looked like eveleaks rendered images. That design like the nexus 9 is the future and would be awesome, but still not help HTC sales because HTC doesn't advertise as much as Samsung and Apple.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
The funny thing IMO is as much as I wanted it to look like the evleaks image and still holding out hope that it will. I think the M9 in the video's still look better than anything else and that includes the iPhone 6 and the leaked images of the Galaxy S6.

cookiegurl

Banned
Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
There's always spices of surprise and what not with all the rumors and leaks circulating around the net.I'm guilty of this, being swayed by all these buzz and getting caught up in the noise. I wished I have the urge to hold myself, but the truth is I'm actually all ears and excited to know the truth come Sunday.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The only plausible thing that could occur at this point is HTC releases the M9 from the videos but ALSO releases something "BIG" as they've said that would be a 5.5" phablet that would look like the evleaks render. That's the only way they would salvage this event.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The only plausible thing that could occur at this point is HTC releases the M9 from the videos but ALSO releases something "BIG" as they've said that would be a 5.5" phablet that would look like the evleaks render. That's the only way they would salvage this event.

Throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
plug in a high quality set of cans into the headphone jack and be amazed at how much better the quality is compared to all the competition.

That is one thing I noticed about the M8. Well, it actually wasn't the audio quality (which seemed fine) but rather the output volume. I took my pair of V-Moda Crossfade M-100 headphones into a Verizon store a couple of weeks back. They aren't "audiophile" headphones but they are 50mm drivers with 32 Ohms of impedance so they take a lot of power to drive. My S5 could never really get too loud with them so I wanted to try other smartphones to see how much they could actually drive my headphones. The Note 4/Edge were the same as my S5 (and both had that stupid "you're listening too loud!" warning that can't be disabled), I thought the Experia Z3v would be better but it wasn't really, the Moto X (2014) wasn't any louder, but the M8 was louder than all of them.

The M8's volume level at ~65% seemed to match other smartphones at 90% so there was still plenty of room to spare. I was pleasantly surprised and that's one of the reasons why I'm eyeing the M9. I'm tired of getting that stupid Samsung message and I'm tired of not being able to turn my music up in noisy environments.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
That is one thing I noticed about the M8. Well, it actually wasn't the audio quality (which seemed fine) but rather the output volume. I took my pair of V-Moda Crossfade M-100 headphones into a Verizon store a couple of weeks back. They aren't "audiophile" headphones but they are 50mm drivers with 32 Ohms of impedance so they take a lot of power to drive. My S5 could never really get too loud with them so I wanted to try other smartphones to see how much they could actually drive my headphones. The Note 4/Edge were the same as my S5 (and both had that stupid "you're listening too loud!" warning that can't be disabled), I thought the Experia Z3v would be better but it wasn't really, the Moto X (2014) wasn't any louder, but the M8 was louder than all of them.

The M8's volume level at ~65% seemed to match other smartphones at 90% so there was still plenty of room to spare. I was pleasantly surprised and that's one of the reasons why I'm eyeing the M9. I'm tired of getting that stupid Samsung message and I'm tired of not being able to turn my music up in noisy environments.

I had the M7 and M8 and absolutely loved the speakers. I have to cup my hand around the speaker on my S5 (well, since the S3 anyway) to get some extra umph.

Senden

May 31, 2011
Visit site

You might have just sold me on the M9 with this post. The most functional gripe I've had with Samsung S phones is that they are terrible with my IE80s. The sound quality is acceptable for a phone but the volume was dreadful and as a heavy metal fan, always found it frustrating when the highest volume is comfortable from the moment i put them in my ears. If HTC phones go louder with IEMs, that would almost make it a certain purchase to me providing they have other desirable new things.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
You might have just sold me on the M9 with this post. The most functional gripe I've had with Samsung S phones is that they are terrible with my IE80s. The sound quality is acceptable for a phone but the volume was dreadful and as a heavy metal fan, always found it frustrating when the highest volume is comfortable from the moment i put them in my ears. If HTC phones go louder with IEMs, that would almost make it a certain purchase to me providing they have other desirable new things.

The M8 went louder with huge cans that require more power so it should be the same with IEMs. I did try my Bose QC20 earbuds but those aren't IEMs. Still, the M8 could crank those louder though they don't require a higher volume due to their noise canceling feature (which is truly awesome). So it outputs louder with more professional cans and earbuds, IEMs should be the same.

Posted via the Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

And that is exactly what I was getting at, and I'm sorry that I was just too brief in my reply.

While I'm no audio buff, and don't have the budget for some great quality cans, I did get a nice $100 kit that has 55mm drivers/32 Ohms for music and gaming. Such on ear devices normally require a good sound card on your computer or an amp to drive them to have the full sound from them. I knew and understood this well before purchase.

But unlike how you'll hear on the Samsung forums that the Galaxy S line of phones will have a Wolfson Dac, and how great it is. But since I'm American, we never got that with our Snapdragon devices. But more importantly the power output from Samsung and many others is just not the same as with HTC.

It's not just that you will have a louder output, but you'll now have sound from such cans that you will be missing if you plug them into a typical phone. I'm sure a dedicated amp will be even better, but who is going to carry such a thing on the go and how do you power the amp?
No need with an HTC One m8, just plug it in and be amazed.

Once again, I want to thank you for pointing this out to others. It might not be a huge deal to someone who just users some cheap skull candy ear buds, but for people who are looking to use quality over the ear cans, this is something that always is never reviewed and left for the general public to find out on their own.

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
In myself!

That's right folks. I'm not in anyway disappointed in HTC, especially if the current videos/leaks are true and not the m8i or a joke from HTC to fool us.

So why am I disappointed in myself?
Because every year ALL of us at this time of the year look at everything we can about just what is coming out in our hobby. It doesn't matter if we are a fan of one product or manufacturer. We love the gossip. The leaks. The renders, the wallpapers, and some of us even like the fighting that goes on in the comment sections of some mobile sites. (thank you mobile nations/Android Central for cleaning up this wonderful site of all the bickering... It is much more enjoyable today then ever)

But I digress. I'm disappointed in myself because every year I tell myself that I shouldn't pay attention to the leaks. I remind myself that this is just part of the entertainment aspect of this hobby. And while it might be an exciting time to watch what is being leaked, that I should never take to heart any of the leaks or rumors as the are almost always fake. And normally I'm good. I'm almost never let down because I never care enough about some fake leak.

Last year when the HTC m8 was announced I'll admit that I was disappointed with the camera. Not because of any leaks. But because I didn't understand why HTC would keep the 4 ultra pixel camera but ditch the OIS that clearly helped make the m7 one of the best low light cameras of its time. It was the only low point of the phone and I would have been proud of it regardless that we all wished for an 8 ultra pixel sensor instead (if only the m8 kept the OIS).

To be honest, I love my m8. It's redesigned back (as slippery as it may be) is awesome. The on screen buttons was sometimes a distraction when developers refused to remove it on some of my games (and let's not forget the YouTube bug in kitkat that never got fixed), but was welcome compared to the m7's odd button placement. Being able to turn on and off the screen using gestures was amazing in that I never had to use the power button! Let us also not forget the power of two front facing speakers when showing your family and friends a YouTube video or playing games on your Moga. Such boomsound design was even replicated on the NVidia shield tablet and more and more devices started having front facing speakers like the nexus 6 and Z3. In the land of phones HTC seems to have started something great and I'm glad that others may have added this feature.
Above all, Sence 6 regardless that it still didn't have a brightness slider in the notification shade was still the best skin on Android. It runs smother then stock, so what more could you ask for? I even liked blinkfeed so much that I never had to open up G+ ever again as most of the important updates from my favorite G+ accounts were then listed in it. Blinkfeed even listed one of my few entrys and a friend noticed it, so I know it works well even with social media. And.... Sence 6 has been so good to me that after a year, I still didn't slap a launcher on it.

Now while I'm a big fan of HTC, I've seen the disappointment from the community about the Galaxy line of phones from Samsung always staying the same in design and materials.
While I will always be a photographer, I briefly worked in marketing and I understand why Samsung never changed much from the S3 to the S5. And while the new S6 may have a new metal chassis, I still think it will have a plastic back (non removable). The look will ultimately be the same as the past as brand recognition is vital in selling your products.

But while I understand brand recognition, I never felt so disappointed in some stupid leak as I did today with the videos. It was gut-wrenching. And while I know that I should tell myself that this is fake and I shouldn't pay any attention to it, I just can't help but feel disappointment in that what we saw is not similar to what HTC did for the nexus 9. The thought that I could finally use the notification shade one handed again (without shifting my hand position) looks like it might not be happening and I'm devastated.

More importantly, I shouldn't be. After all, while I understand brand recognition, the current leaks might just be fake. Or it could be the m8i. Or it could be REAL.

What ever it is, it will be disclosed in just a few more days. I hope by then that I'll be more pleased. As while I have never asked for change just for changes sake. I think it's time for HTC to wow us in design. For HTC to say look, you might be getting the same size screen, the same features, but our redesigned phone gives you an easier to use device that offers you louder speakers that most of you love and a design that will excite even the toughest of critics.

I almost laugh at HTC's madlibs media campaign that they are using right now. But it has gotten the press to talk about them and that is needed badly. I'm also greatful for all the leaks, fake or real. It's entertainment, nothing more. And I shouldn't feel this way, nor should you.

You get all caught up in the hype, and if the final product doesn't meet your expectations, then of course you'll be disappointed. It's normal.

Posted via Android Central App

jibblator

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of the disappointment on the internet over the M9 design is a little over board, but there is something nice about getting something new that has a refreshed design. I do feel like HTC has been a little lazy... so they made the sides gold, so what? I get that they want to keep the overall design language the same, I mean after having two phones that were so lauded for their design it's only natural that they would want the next generation phone to at least look like it's from the same family, but they really could have done more

That said, I have an M7 so the M9 will be a huge upgrade anyways so if I do choose to go with the M9 (looking at the S6 too) then I know I won't be disappointed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36