Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I bought the phone in May2015...and it works quite well until July.

I took lot of screenshots ....Before July, I still found the image files showing in the frontdesk folder. After July , all images before July are all gone suddenly ..whilst the others that taken after July still there. Luckily , I still can recall it back by looking into the file manager but it spends me a lot of time to do so ?

Can any one why this is happened ??? Is there any time limit that defaulted in system to remove the image files periodically from front desk folder ???

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What's the front desk folder? Is that something specific to that phone? I've never seen that in other devices.

If it's like the Downloads app on certain phones, then tap Menu and look for a setting that allows you to see older downloaded files, or that allows you to Show All.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I meant the default Gallery folder that pre-installed in my phone when I first bought in .
It is showed up in the front desk screen and I can recall all picture/screenshot image files from it as normal .
But right now, I find some old historical screenshot files before July are removed away suddenly ???

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What's the actual directory that the screenshots are in? Is it /Pictures/Screenshots, or just /Screenshots? Look in that directory with your file manager, and see if there is a file called ".nomedia" anywhere. You might have to turn on an option to show hidden files in the file manager. ".nomedia" instructs the system to ignore that particular directory and any subdirectories when scanning for images to add to the Gallery database.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
ALL screenshots are stored in internal memory space of cell phone and under the folder "Pictures". See screenshot " capture1" about the path...Before I can view the ALL image files from the Gallery but NOW I can only see the most latest files only .

About the .nomedia , I see it appears in the internal storage space but is empty. See screenshot" capture2" .

Attachments

• capture1.png
    capture1.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 4
  • capture2.png
    capture2.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 5

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
.nomedia is supposed to prevent any images in that folder as well as any subfolders from showing up in the Gallery. So if there's a .nomedia file in /storage/emulated/0, then it might be preventing a lot of images from showing up. Delete that .nomedia file and see what happens. If they still don't show up after deleting .nomedia, then go to Settings>Apps>All, select Gallery, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. When you open the Gallery again, wait a few seconds for the database to repopulate.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your advice....
Before I try on it per your instruction...I would like to clarify first :
(1) will it affect the image files that stored in folder after Delete that .nomedia file. I don't have any backup and I am worrying the removal of file unintentionally..
(2) How and why the . nomedia is created in my folder unintentionally ???

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Deleting the .nomedia file will do nothing to the existing photo files. .nomedia is a blank file that acts as a marker for the system's Media Scanner. If you remove .nomedia, it means that Media Scanner will now scan that folder and any subfolder for media (images, videos, music) to populate the appropriate databases.

I think the addition of .nomedia to a directory depends on the app that creates the directory. I'm not sure why .nomedia would have appeared on what is essentially the main user directory, though.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I gone through two instructions ...but NONE of them is work at all .
I also try to power OFF / ON the cell phone once but NO luck to work .
Do you have any other further guideline for me to resolve the issue ????

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might not be compatible. Those rescan media apps seem pretty old.

Try copying or moving all of the screenshots that aren't showing up to a new directory, and make sure there isn't any .nomedia file in that new directory.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Kind of late, but media.Re.Scan should run, even in Lollipop.

Chan, use something like WiFi File Transfer to copy all your pictures to a computer (it just needs a web browser, so it doesn't matter what it is - even another phone). Then if you don't have a filder named DCIM, create one, create a folder in that named Camera, and copy all the pictures to that folder. That's the industry standard. (DCIM stands for digital camera images.) Then restart the phone or run media.Re.scan (restarting the phone runs the media scanner) and everything should show up in Gallery.

If you want to make albums, make folders inside the Camera folder. The album name showing in Gallery is the name of the folder the pictures is in.