Image Orientation Issue in Gallery App

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, I have a new issue on my Verizon Galaxy S10. Wondering if a recent update caused this, and if anyone else is experiencing it.

Basically, portrait-oriented photos (vertical) show up rotated on their side 90 degrees when they are moved from the internal storage to my SD card.

Here's how I experience the issue. Maybe someone could confirm (or not) by repeating:
1) Camera set to save photos to internal storage.
2) Photo taken in portrait orientation (vertical).
3) Initially, photo displays correctly in the Gallery app.
4) Move this photo to the external SD card (any folder). NOTE: Do not move using Gallery app (which is too limited in this way anyway). Use file explorer app of choice (I generally use F-Stop Gallery Pro, but also tried using Astro File Manager).
5) Return to Gallery app. Photo immediately displays rotated 90-degrees (on it's side).
6) Moving photo back to internal storage corrects issue.

I've tried clearing the Gallery app's cache & data memory. Cleared device cache from recovery mode. Nothing helped. This only started happening in the last month or so.

- Any ideas? Anything else I could test?

I always move my photos to organized folders on my SD card when I'm ready to organize or archive them. Having all vertical photos display incorrectly is a huge bummer...

jethroD

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the response. I did try clearing cache in recovery, but it didn't help.

Was wondering if anyone else experiences this issue (which I realize requires a somewhat unique set of circumstances).

Thanks!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the response. I did try clearing cache in recovery, but it didn't help.

Was wondering if anyone else experiences this issue (which I realize requires a somewhat unique set of circumstances).

Thanks!
Hi, welcome!
Have you tried using native Samsung files manager to move to sd card ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have tested using Samsung native file manager(My Files) took a picture from DCIM folder to sd card no issue. I'm thinking the application you use or 3rd party file manager causing this .

jethroD

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi. OK, I tried using the Samsung My Files app to move the image. I can confirm that using this method DOES NOT cause the issue.

It is strange, though, that two completely different apps that had never caused this issue until the last few weeks (f-Stop Gallery Pro and Astro File Manager) would BOTH suddenly cause this. Maybe I'll see if there are any other apps that can move and see if they also cause the issue.

I'll try reaching out to the developers of those other apps and see if they have any ideas. I definitely prefer using f-Stop Gallery for organizing photos, but I can try to get used to My Files.

Let me know if any other ideas or if anyone else can test on any non-Samsung apps for moving pics.

Thanks!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi. OK, I tried using the Samsung My Files app to move the image. I can confirm that using this method DOES NOT cause the issue.

It is strange, though, that two completely different apps that had never caused this issue until the last few weeks (f-Stop Gallery Pro and Astro File Manager) would BOTH suddenly cause this. Maybe I'll see if there are any other apps that can move and see if they also cause the issue.

I'll try reaching out to the developers of those other apps and see if they have any ideas. I definitely prefer using f-Stop Gallery for organizing photos, but I can try to get used to My Files.

Let me know if any other ideas or if anyone else can test on any non-Samsung apps for moving pics.

Thanks!
Could be a setting in those other files manager I would look into that but I always try using the native one that comes with the phone .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter