Image retention solution?

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had LG phones since the G3. IPS panels do not have image retention problems. I've owned many IPS monitors as well and image retention only becomes a problem with those when monitors are either overclocked or something wrong in the firmware with say pixel overdrive settings. Fixable with firmware updates on monitors.

It is a defect caused by LG, not a defect of the hardware.
It's a defect. Doesn't matter the cause. It's a defect.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you can fix it yourself, then the cause does matter.
If the fix requires rooting (not possible on all versions and beyond the average consumer's ability) and changing settings (again not always possible and also risks bricking your phone), then it is not a problem that you can "fix yourself." It is a problem that only a relative few can fix, and only if they happen to have a version they can root.

So where does this non-defect defect leave the rest of us in your scenario?

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
If it comes defective from the manufacturer, it's a defect. It's not the consumer's responsibility to fix anything after spending hundreds of dollars on a product.

If the fix requires rooting (not possible on all versions and beyond the average consumer's ability) and changing settings (again not always possible and also risks bricking your phone), then it is not a problem that you can "fix yourself." It is a problem that only a relative few can fix, and only if they happen to have a version they can root.

So where does this non-defect defect leave the rest of us in your scenario?

Have you tried the app I wrote in the previous post?

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Software does not fix hardware problems. The screen retention is a hardware problem, not a software problem.

So that's a no.

Instead of arguing on a forum try it and report back. You just might help others.

Like I said in a previous post, problem is a software/firmware problem, not hardware. ;)

Maybe if we can all get together and make some noise via some outlet we can make LG fix the retention problem via update.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So that's a no.

Instead of arguing on a forum try it and report back. You just might help others.

Like I said in a previous post, problem is a software/firmware problem, not hardware. ;)

Maybe if we can all get together and make some noise via some outlet we can make LG fix the retention problem via update.

If it was a software issue, the problem wouldn't persist after a reboot. It's a hardware issue. Not software issue. I'm sure if it could be fixed by software, LG would rather do that freely than keep replacing phones that people send back under warranty.

In fact, I'm pretty sure someone actually physically opened up their phone and fixed it. It has something to do with glue heating up.

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
If it was a software issue, the problem wouldn't persist after a reboot. It's a hardware issue. Not software issue. I'm sure if it could be fixed by software, LG would rather do that freely than keep replacing phones that people send back under warranty.

In fact, I'm pretty sure someone actually physically opened up their phone and fixed it. It has something to do with glue heating up.

Just curious, why do you think that a software issue would be fixed by a reboot?

You are correct that image retention is affected by heat. The physical "fix" by replacing a thermal pad with thermal interface material has been hit or miss.

For 2 weeks I've been running a custom kernel that allows for screen settings to be changed and have had zero image retention issues where as before it was horrible.

Companies do strange things like replacing phones with refurbs when they don't have a clue.

A well placed tweet or email might change that.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sad to hear. Maybe there is another non root app that will help. I'll try and look and report back.
The only possible way I could see this working is a filter app similar to what you suggested, but doesn't make a static overlay. Instead, it would alternate every pixel similar to how a video works so that they are all being adjusted at different times. With the pixel density of this phone, it may not be visible to the naked eye and still look like a simple darkened screen. The problem is that I almost doubt that would be enough, and would likely cause more battery drain like a full time live wallpaper.

gustav30

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I've had success with sfilter app as i wrote a few weeks ago. I also have 2 V10s and they have the image retention problem as well.

While I'm rooted on my V20 and could install a custom kernel, sfilter does the job. I'm guessing the sfilter overlay is somehow sitting on top, masking the problem.

Now I believe the issue itself is a hardware problem. As i said I do have 3 LG phones and they all have it, so no coincidence.

I have sfilter set at like 5% with the color black selected. Note it takes a few hours to notice the difference. Like if you just install the app and expect to see a change right away it won't. That is what happened to me first time i tried the sfilter option. I saw it didn't work right away and removed it. So give it a few hours. Also I believe on reboot it is not turned on by default, so you need to check that in options.

Hope this helps.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It seems everyone has their own solution. Lol.

For me, the video doesn't work. Max brightness doesn't work. Minimum brightness doesn't work. Only turning the display off for a while works.

I honestly think certain devices are more prone to it than others.. I rarely ever get it. And if I do, it's not noticable and goes away quickly. Maybe the LCD panels aren't all the same.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had success with sfilter app as i wrote a few weeks ago. I also have 2 V10s and they have the image retention problem as well.

While I'm rooted on my V20 and could install a custom kernel, sfilter does the job. I'm guessing the sfilter overlay is somehow sitting on top, masking the problem.

Now I believe the issue itself is a hardware problem. As i said I do have 3 LG phones and they all have it, so no coincidence.

I have sfilter set at like 5% with the color black selected. Note it takes a few hours to notice the difference. Like if you just install the app and expect to see a change right away it won't. That is what happened to me first time i tried the sfilter option. I saw it didn't work right away and removed it. So give it a few hours. Also I believe on reboot it is not turned on by default, so you need to check that in options.

Hope this helps.

Twilight app allows you to darken the screen too. Also reduces blue light.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janvi212