Import saved voicemails?

stugiv

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Greetings all,

I transferred the saved voicemails from my OG Evo to the external SD card of the new one. Is there a way to import the files so that they show up under saved voicemails in the VM app? I know I can just copy the files to the directory, but I suspect that won't work by itself. I haven't tried it as I don't want to overwrite any existing saved VMs.

Thanks!

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
No. But in the VM app you can select the dropdown menu up top and switch to SD Card and it will show you those messages separately, but still from the VM app.

stugiv

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi BigDinCA,

When I select SD Card in the menu, it only shows me the one VM I've saved on this new phone, not the others from the old phone. When I use Astro to view files, I can see the one saved VM on the 'internal' storage (sdcard) while the others I transferred are on the external SD Card (sdcard2).

stugiv

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to bump this question again & clarify:

There's no way to import voicemails from an old phone into a new phone so that they show up in the voicemail app & display the details of date & phone number? Playing them thru the embedded music app is easy, but it would be more convenient to have the info on each file.

lvs3

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Move Visual Voicemail messages to MicroSD Card

Select the "Voicemail" icon to start voicemail.
Press the "Menu" button.
Select "Move to SD".
Select the message(s) you want to move to SD card.
Press the "Move to SD" button.
Press "Cancel" to get out of the message select mode.
Press the "Voicemail" selector bar at the top of the screen to show messages on the SD card.

Move Visual Voicemail messages from Deleted folder back to Inbox

Click the Visual Voicemail drop down box at the top middle of the Inbox page.
Select the deleted messages .
Select the message and press and hold it. Hit Restore to Inbox.
Click the drop down box and select inbox. Message will be visible.

Move Visual Voicemail messages from MicroSD card to Inbox

Select the ?Voicemail? icon to start voicemail.
Press ?Voicemail? selector bar at the top of the screen.
Select ?SD card? radio button
Press the ?Menu? button.
Select ?Move to Inbox?.
Select the message(s) you want to move back to the Inbox.
Press the ?Move to Inbox? button.
Press ?Cancel? to get out of the message select mode.
Press the ?Voicemail? selector bar at the top of the screen to return to the Inbox.

Move Visual voicemail messages saved on a SD Micro card to a new handset

On the old handset, move any voicemails you wish to save using the ?Move Visual Voicemail messages to MicroSD Card? instructions above.
If the old handset is a device with an internally mounted SD card, an extra step is required to move the saved voicemails from internal ?SD card? storage to ?external SD card?
Use either the built-in file browser (available on some handsets) or download a file manager app from the Android Market.
Browse to the internal SD card folder ?/sdcard? or ?/mnt/sdcard? and select the smvvm folder.
Copy the smvvm folder (instructions vary depending on which file manager is being used) to the ?external sd card? folder (usually a link/subdirectory within the /mnt/sdcard location). If there?s already an smvvm folder on the SD card, it will be overwritten and any messages in that folder will be lost.
Remove the SD from the old handset and put it in the new handset.
Note: If the new handset does not have an internal SD card, then the messages will be immediately available to the VVM app, and you can browse to them via the application by selecting the ?SD card? radio button within the voicemail selector in the VVM app.
If the new handset has an internal SD card then there are some additional steps to move the smvvm folder into the correct path.
First if there are any current messages stored in ?sd card? according to the application, move them back to the Inbox temporarily to save them ?follow the ?Move Visual Voicemail messages from MicroSD card to Inbox? instructions above.
Then using the file browser/file manager, browse to the /mnt/sdcard location and delete the smvvm folder.
Browse to the external sdcard location and handset and copy the smvvm folder from external to the internal /mnt/sdcard location (where the deleted smvvm folder was previously).
Messages will now appear in the application as described in step 4 above.

stugiv

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed directions. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck. The VM app on the new phone doesn't recognize the files when I copy them over.

I'm wondering if it might be caused by different versions of the VM app between the different phones?

jeff4382

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
stugiv,

I was having the same issue and I just managed to figure it out myself. At the time I did this, I did not have any messages in my regular inbox so I don't know if this method will delete those or not. If you don't mind taking that chance however:

First, using a file browser like Astro, find the ext_sd folder, then scroll down to the smvvm folder which should have your saved messages you wish to import. Select all of the messages you wish to move, then go back to the main sdcard (not the ext_sd) and paste them into the folder with the same name there, which should still be smvvm.

After doing this, I know it still doesn't recognize. Never fear, go into the phone settings and into Apps, choose the "All" tab, scroll down to voicemail and hit "Clear Data". Yes, it says it will delete all files, (which may be true for messages saved in the inbox, but I don't know) but it will not delete your messages you just copied to the folders. Let it clear the data, then choose force close.

Now, going back into your voicemail app, it acts as it did the first time you opened it and if you switch to the messages on the sd card, you should see that they're all there. Following these steps on my new phone, mine is showing the caller, number, length of the message, date... just as it did in the original evo. I hope this helps.

Angelique Bombich

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
my mother passed away last year and i had saved her voicemails from the sd card of my old motorola photon to my pc.
i wanted to find the files but i can not find them at all...are they lost forever or does someone have an idea as to how i can find
them...i copied every file from the photon to my computer as i did not want to lose any info since i was getting a new phone.
please help. thank you

dcrandon

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
stugiv,

I was having the same issue and I just managed to figure it out myself. At the time I did this, I did not have any messages in my regular inbox so I don't know if this method will delete those or not. If you don't mind taking that chance however:

First, using a file browser like Astro, find the ext_sd folder, then scroll down to the smvvm folder which should have your saved messages you wish to import. Select all of the messages you wish to move, then go back to the main sdcard (not the ext_sd) and paste them into the folder with the same name there, which should still be smvvm.

After doing this, I know it still doesn't recognize. Never fear, go into the phone settings and into Apps, choose the "All" tab, scroll down to voicemail and hit "Clear Data". Yes, it says it will delete all files, (which may be true for messages saved in the inbox, but I don't know) but it will not delete your messages you just copied to the folders. Let it clear the data, then choose force close.

Now, going back into your voicemail app, it acts as it did the first time you opened it and if you switch to the messages on the sd card, you should see that they're all there. Following these steps on my new phone, mine is showing the caller, number, length of the message, date... just as it did in the original evo. I hope this helps.

my mother passed away last year and i had saved her voicemails from the sd card of my old motorola photon to my pc.
i wanted to find the files but i can not find them at all...are they lost forever or does someone have an idea as to how i can find
them...i copied every file from the photon to my computer as i did not want to lose any info since i was getting a new phone.
please help. thank you

I know this thread is old...but just thought I'd let both you know I just did it successfully with the app Helium. I installed it on both phones. It backed up VMM to a folder called Carbon, then I dragged that folder to my PC desktop and from there to the new phone, then used the app to restore it and all my VM are just were I want them!

I use TM, and this is the first app that has been able to accomplish this with TM's VVM.