Importing Contacts from Backup Failing

Dippns

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
I made a backup of my girlfriend's phone via Android One, confirmed the contacts were synced with her google account. Then factory reset the phone.

When setting up the wiped phone from the Android One backup, it has failed to import the contacts from the google account. In the Google Contacts App, I can see that the Backup Holds the 1000 or so original contacts. But when I select merge, even though the Google Play Services notification pops up saying successful, there are no more contacts in the app. Also, on the PC, the google account no longer has the contacts, and undo-ing changes doesn't bring them back. The backup I can see in the Google Contacts seems to be the only place that has them.

Any ideas on how to get them back?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! FYI, it's Google One -- Android One is the fading program where other manufacturers would agree to make phones that would get the same monthly updates as Pixels. Nokia was the main proponent, but they've essentially abandoned the update guarantee, and Google seems to be letting the program die.

If you log into your girlfriend's Google account on any computer and go to contacts.google.com, are the contacts there? As long as the contacts are still in her Google Contacts in the cloud, they should automatically sync with Google Contacts on her phone, if the phone is using the same account. That's not happening?

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Go to Google contacts app. Make sure it shows the correct account in the top right. Then hit 3 dots menu and choose customize view. Make sure it is set to show all.

Open chrome with the Google account logged in and go to contacts.google.com. all the contacts should be displayed there . If not then check the trash. If you see her contacts there then you can try exporting the contacts to a Google csv file and then importing the file via Google contacts app manually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dippns

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

Yeah it's weird what happened, does your girlfriend use multiple Google accounts by chance?

I changed you to Post owner

She does not use multiple accounts.

contacts.google.com is unfortunately empty, and the trash is also empty, pretty sure she ****ed up and emptied it.

My hope is that since that backup file contains all those missing contacts and I can see them in the file, it would import correctly into the phone. I tried to log into her account on another phone and do the same, but the Contacts up doesn't find the backup file.

Any other ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to be sure -- when you set up the phone after a factory reset, it asked you if you want to restore from a specific backup, and you selected the one for that phone?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I had to factory reset twice because it's not clear on her phone that if you select restore backup within the factory reset prompts it isn't the backup created by Android One.

So, no, still in the same spot regarding the contacts.
I was reading back to your first post instead of selecting merge can you share them to near by or Bluetooth another phone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy