Importing contacts from SD card to gmail

som3on3_10

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
So I'm trying to install a custom ROM on my wife's fascinate, but all of her contacts are saved on her SD card. So I need to transfer all of her contacts to her gmail account since rooting/installing the ROM will wipe out all of her data on her SD card. I've tried going into Contacts/Import Export/Import from SD Card then I choose her gmail account, but am getting the following message "Scanning SD card failed (Reason: No vcard file found on the SD card)." Does anyone know of a fix or workaround for this? I've tried manually creating a duplicate contact under gmail and joining it with the contact saved on the SD card, but the phone number, etc. do not sync over. Any ideas? The stock ROM on her phone is wack and I would like her to have the custom ROM I have on my fascinate. TIA.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So I'm trying to install a custom ROM on my wife's fascinate, but all of her contacts are saved on her SD card. So I need to transfer all of her contacts to her gmail account since rooting/installing the ROM will wipe out all of her data on her SD card. I've tried going into Contacts/Import Export/Import from SD Card then I choose her gmail account, but am getting the following message "Scanning SD card failed (Reason: No vcard file found on the SD card)." Does anyone know of a fix or workaround for this? I've tried manually creating a duplicate contact under gmail and joining it with the contact saved on the SD card, but the phone number, etc. do not sync over. Any ideas? The stock ROM on her phone is wack and I would like her to have the custom ROM I have on my fascinate. TIA.

Rooting and installing a custom ROM will not touch anything on the sd card. All the wipes that could be done when installing a custom ROM or any ROM only touch internal memory on the phone, not the sd card. You will be able to safely import the contacts from the sd card back onto the phone. That's how I do it, and I've flashed countless custom ROMs on my phone.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh ok. For some reason I thought it would wipe out the SD card...shows how much I know haha Thanks for the info Landshark as always.

You're welcome. I used to just rely on backup assistant for my contacts. But then DroidXcon suggested exporting to sd card, and now that is the only way I back up my contacts. After you flash the custom ROM and start the setup process, just skip the backup assistant for restoring your contacts. After initial set up is done, go into contacts, hit menu button, hit import/export, choose import from sd card, choose v card file, choose the most recent one, and after a short wait, the contacts will be restored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KZCY