In desperate need of help

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I had been wanting to use the wireless tethering on the phone for a while, so I finally gave in and attempted to root it using this guide: How to Root HTC Evo 4G! [NEW] | HTC Evo 4G Hacks!

After working on it for 2 hours, I failed miserably due to half the commands not working for me and I simply gave up. But now, trying to use my phone again, it seems to be dead. I tried to format it back to factory default, but now its just stuck on the text "htc EVO 4G".

Please tell me I haven't managed to destroy my phone...

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
So, it's unclear as to how far you got (or didn't get) in the root process. Can your get back into bootloader or recovery (from a powered off state, power on your phone by pressing the power button while holding the volume down button at the same time, don't release until you see something on the screen)? What do you see when you power on the phone holding the volume down button?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
So, it's unclear as to how far you got (or didn't get) in the root process. Can your get back into bootloader or recovery (from a powered off state, power on your phone by pressing the power button while holding the volume down button at the same time, don't release until you see something on the screen)? What do you see when you power on the phone holding the volume down button?

It goes to the skating android screen, then goes through some checks. It prompts on whether to start an update. Syaing yes makes it go for a while until saying update failed (Due to "Radio" and something else failing, ask if you need more details). Saying no sends the phone back to some choices (fastboot, recovery, clear storage, simlock, hboot USB).

And to the person saying that that thread might help, I tried and it didnt. Many of the RUU links wouldn't download, and I didn't even know which to use.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok, you have to say no to the update. Then it will ask you if you want to reboot, you say no to this one as well. Then you should be able to select recovery from the menu. Once in recovery, you should have an option to nandroid restore. If you get into recovery, can you specify what recovery you are using (clockwork or Amon_RA)?

SSjon

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
If you can not get into recovery like cloak.n.dagger suggested... which i bet you can't since the root did not complete. Down load this! Phone saver!
Take your Micro SD card out of your evo and put it into a card adapter. Open up the sd card file with a computer and remove the file that says PC36IMG.zip and replace it with the one you just downloaded.
Boot into bootloader again and this time apply the update when it asks (this will take a while and make sure the battery is charged up). It should work and you will be back to stock.

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, you have to say no to the update. Then it will ask you if you want to reboot, you say no to this one as well. Then you should be able to select recovery from the menu. Once in recovery, you should have an option to nandroid restore. If you get into recovery, can you specify what recovery you are using (clockwork or Amon_RA)?

No options show up. Just the evil red triangle.

What does your phone do right now when you turn it on?

The HTC EVO 4g text just stays there until battery removal.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
No options show up. Just the evil red triangle.

The HTC EVO 4g text just stays there until battery removal.

OK, do you have the ability to put files off / on the micro USB card? like can you take it out and put it into something else like a camera to get access to it from a computer?

If so:

Go here:

Index of /evo/stock/ruu/

Get: RUU_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.11.19_NV_1.90_release_161482_signed.zip

(It'll be a bit, it's 200MB)

Then - DO NOT OPEN THE ZIP FILE - rename the zip file to PC36IMG.ZIP *Important note, if you're in Windows just rename the part of the file before the ".zip" - some people make the name PC36IMG.zip.zip - it has to be just PC36IMG.zip.

Erase any other PC36IMG.zip file on your sdcard, and put the one you just got on to it.

Put your sdcard back in your Evo, power on by pressing the volume down button and the power button at the same time.

When the phone boots, you'll have three androids at the bottom of the screen and it should seem like it's paused, this is OK, it's verifying the file on your sdcard. When it asks if you want to update, choose Yes.

The version of software linked above is the latest stock version and will work with whatever radio/hboot is on your phone now.

If you don't have the ability to work on your sdcard, from the above file location, get this file:

RUU_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.11.19_NV_1.90_release_161482_signed.exe

Also, install HTC Sync from their web site.

Boot your phone by pressing volume down and the power button, when the screen loads, if it asks you to update hit No, then scroll to recovery, enter recovery, connect your phone to your PC (after you install HTC Sync), your PC will install some drivers so give it a minute or two.

When that is done, open the EXE files - it's the same as the ZIP file except it's a Windows program that updates your phone.

It's ideal to use the zip file method with your phone in it's current state.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I will try this, but first let me ask you this: Will this permanantly remove root/my ability to root the phone?

In a word, no.

This method will load a non-rooted stock ROM. So, you won't be rooted when you are running it. If you made it as far as turning the ROM signature off (S-OFF), then you can flash a recovery at a later time, make nandroid backups, and flash new ROMs.

This just gets you back to where you were. It won't stop you from rooting again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
britneyvidson