[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

AZGrown

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

It's very easy to upgrade to a Note 5 since your daughter has a tiered data plan. I'm assuming that the Note 5 has a nano sized SIM like the S6. If it does not, just come back and I'll tweak the steps for you.

To start, you'll just borrow your daughter's upgrade by doing the following:

1.) Go to a Verizon store and upgrade Line 3 to a Note 5. It's safe to do this since you are using an upgrade on a tiered line that originated there.
2.) After the Note 5 has been activated on Line 3, ask the Verizon rep to activate the old iPhone 5c on Line 1.
3.) Leave the Verizon store and wait at least an hour
4.) After an hour, power off the Note 5 and iPhone 5c
5.) Swap SIM cards between the two phones. Power on the Note 5 and wait for it to activate. Then power on the iPhone 5c

These 5 steps will allow you to upgrade Line 1 to a Note 5 in a few weeks. It's fairly simple. If the Note 5 uses a micro SIM, the steps will be slightly different, but fairly straight forward.

When it comes time to upgrade your daughter's line, you'll just order the new phone online and by transferring the upgrade on either Line 1 or 2.

With the possibility of losing the ability to buy a discounted device;

What about upgrading now, and profiting from the device (selling)?
Let's say I order a phone using my daughter's upgrade, should I never activate such phone and destroy the SIM?

Last edited:

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

Hi,

Long time reader of this forum. Its amazing how many people you have helped with this.

I was hoping to wait till Fall to upgrade but I guess with these new looming changes it might make sense to just make changes now and not be too greedy.

1) Line 1 - S4 - UDP (Upgrade available)
2) Line 2 - S4 - TDP (Upgrade available)

I want to upgrade both to S6 Edge. I know that I need to upgrade line 2 first, activate that device, transfer that phone to Line 1. Then transfer upgrade from Line 1 to Line and do same steps again.

There are so many people here with different scenarios that its tough to figure out what exactly I should do.

Also if I upgrade Line 2, how long before its all processed. Will I be able to transfer line 2 upgrade to line 1 and upgrade that before Aug 13th.

Also, I know verizon wireless will work for Line 2, but how about in the store or at Costco and stuff as that is TDP.

I know there are many questions, sorry in advance but thanks for any help.

FOREVERTHEMAN3

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Hey all,

I hate to do this too. I usually find the answers to my problems by searching and or reading.

As has been stated, this thread is quite large as well as a bit confusing and somewhat intimidating with all the different scenarios.

I think my answer will be pretty simple but I want to be sure as I didn't see my scenario posted.

1) Line 1 - Droid Bionic - UDP - Upgrade Available
2) Line 2 - Droid Bionic - UDP - Upgrade Available

Both phones are out of contract. I think I read somewhere that Verizon's system see's the Bionic as a 3G phone so that may complicate my matter?

We are thinking about upgrading to either the S6 or G4 or maybe one of each.

I'm not sure what size sim cards we have now or what size are in the two phones we are thinking about.

Obviously with the impending changes coming there is some pressure to get this done asap. Can I assume if I get the phones ordered I before the change that I would be good to go even if I haven't taken delivery and activated yet?

If someone could be so kind as to hold my hand and walk me through step by step so I don't mess this up I would appreciate it so much.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry to have to ask.

amoxicycline

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site

Sorry vm81, this isn't an answer to your question, but my situation is similar to yours with one added bit.

Much like vm81, I have 2 phones that I want to upgrade:

1) Line 1 - S4 - UDP (Upgrade Available) ---> S5 Desired
2) Line 2 - Dummy Phone (Upgrade Available) ---> iPhone Desired

As far as priorities of keeping UDP, I will upgrade Line 2 first and swap sims from New S5 to the Old UDP S4.

Afterward, I imagine I can do the reverse with the upgrading the Line 1 and getting a tiered iPhone plan.

So my questions, similar to vm81:

1) After I switch S4 to S5 first, is there any approximate time I would need to wait before swapping Dummy to iPhone?
2) Also, If I understand correctly, the final phones will essentially have switched phone numbers? Is this something that can be done to circumvent this? Or is there possibly a way to swap numbers back after the fact at a Verizon store?

Thanks guys, this is an extremely productive forum.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

Now that Verizon has forced me to upgrade earlier than I expected, here's what I was hoping.

Last week, I transferred an upgrade from an unlimited line, to a tiered line. I purchased a GS6 through Verizon and activated the phone on the tiered line. That's where that phone will stay.

I would like to transfer another upgrade to that same tiered line. I will upgrade to another phone through Verizon and swap the sim with an unlimited sim when the phone arrives. Will this work?

Lastly. Has anyone been successful transferring an upgrade on BB online? I don't see that option on their site.

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

I am sure this has been answered before, so my apologies. I did read through a bunch of pages here, but it does get tough to follow after awhile, my eyes get crossed! lol

Nationwide family share plan talk and text 700 minutes
Line 1 HTC One M7 UDP upgrade eligible
Line 2 Flip phone, I bought just to do this originally way back when Verizon was first killing off the UDP, it is on the plan, but it is in a drawer never used. This phone is eligible for upgrade August 18 , Darn! Just that close.

So can I go to Bestbuy.com swap my upgrade from the HTC to the flip phone, order a new phone against the Flip phone and do the sim card swap and keep my UDP ?

Last time , 2 years ago, as I remember I had to upgrade the flip phone line to the minimum data plan offered, Then when I had activated the new phone onto the UDP account I went onto Verizon.com and dropped the data plan for the flip phone. Is that still the way to do this?

I was planning on either a S6 or an S6 edge, love everything about my HTC other than the camera and it seems they didn't fix that on the M9. So if the Sim cards aren't compatible I will change to a phone that is, even the M9 if that is the only thing that will work.

olson2334

May 30, 2012
Visit site

I am trying to transfer my upgrade via best buy site but for the life of me cannot see where i do that. Anyone know how i do this?

I was also trying via verizon site but i am wondering if this portion of there site is down as that spinner just does its thing in the middle of the page when i go to the upgrade devices section on verizone's site. Been spinning for a good 15 minutes now and have tried other browsers on other machine too with the same thing happening

amoxicycline

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site

Hey guys,

Yes I have been able to upgrade on Best Buy, unfortunately the pickings are rather slim with available phones.

*Sorry the pictures are crap quality and uploaded out of chronologic order*

But anyway:

1) Starting from main screen upper right hand corner, you'll need to sign in (or create an account)
2) After logged in, hover over Cell Phones Tab, choose your carrier
3) After having picked Verizon, on the next page on the right side, look for a blue box with a check mark, beside it "Cell Phone Upgrade Checker"
4) Next Page, choose your carrier (Verizon) again
5) Next Page, fill in your basic Verizon carrier info. And FYI, unless you've changed it, your Verizon Billing Password is the last 4 digits of your SSN

Good luck everyone

Attachments

• 20150808_143811.jpg
    20150808_143811.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20150808_143919.jpg
    20150808_143919.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20150808_144002.jpg
    20150808_144002.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20150808_144032.jpg
    20150808_144032.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20150808_144117.jpg
    20150808_144117.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 23

olson2334

May 30, 2012
Visit site

Holly cow verizon is awful. contacted the local store, the national number. nobody can tell me how to get to the transfer upgrade option. where i believe i went it seems to be just spinning way and I have tried different wireless networks and different computers all without luck but verizon says there are no issues.

dusoccer10 you have been an awesome help with some great knowledge to a lot of folks including me. Any chance you have some step by step instructions on where the heck this thing is or how i transfer this darn thing?

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

Holly cow verizon is awful. contacted the local store, the national number. nobody can tell me how to get to the transfer upgrade option. where i believe i went it seems to be just spinning way and I have tried different wireless networks and different computers all without luck but verizon says there are no issues.

dusoccer10 you have been an awesome help with some great knowledge to a lot of folks including me. Any chance you have some step by step instructions on where the heck this thing is or how i transfer this darn thing?

Log in to VZW. You should log in from the main account phone number. Under the "My Verizon" pull down on the main page, you will see another pull down menu labeled "my devices". Pull down that menu and on the left side "upgrade device". On that page you will see your devices and the line with the upgrade will have the option to transfer the upgrade. click the link and choose the line you wish to transfer the upgrade. From there you choose your new device.

olson2334

May 30, 2012
Visit site

Lodingi thanks a lot for the response. That is exactly where I am trying to go but for some reason when click "upgrade device" it transfers me to a page where a spinner pops up in the middle of the page and just sits there. Are you actually able to navigate to this page by chance that is something to do with my area perhaps?

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

Lodingi thanks a lot for the response. That is exactly where I am trying to go but for some reason when click "upgrade device" it transfers me to a page where a spinner pops up in the middle of the page and just sits there. Are you actually able to navigate to this page by chance that is something to do with my area perhaps?

I had no problem transferring the upgrade. Maybe try another web browser or reboot.

Or try right clicking the link and choose to open in another tab or window.

olson2334

May 30, 2012
Visit site

good suggestions and have tried them all with the same result. I will have to keep trying perhaps as it is still down.

MGK645

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

OK I found the problem for my situation, apparantly BB does not allow you transfer upgrades on the older Nationwide plans - i have the 700 minute plan. I found this out by searching the BB forums, people say they stopped it about 6 months ago. I went ahead and ordered the upgrade on the UDP line, but I will switch the sim card to the one we already have out of the Note 4. Of course, I had to purchase a SIM cutter from Amazon.

olson2334

May 30, 2012
Visit site

Is it possible to go into the store and tell the person in the store to simply transfer my upgrade and leave it at that? Then come back home and do the rest.

mbkintner

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

Is it possible to go into the store and tell the person in the store to simply transfer my upgrade and leave it at that? Then come back home and do the rest.
I'd advised against it. That's a sure fire way to lose your UDP.

dawnmo

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

Hi there! Would appreciate instructions on how to upgrade line 1 to IPHONE 6 to maintain UDP, if possible.

Line 1 Galaxy S5 UDP: upgrade available
Line 2 dumb phone: upgrade available

Does the IPhone 6 have the same sim card type as the S5? Also, would we be able to move the S5 from line 1 to line 2?

Thanks for your help!

olson2334

May 30, 2012
Visit site

i am with you guys. My guess is they will conveniently have the page down beyond the 13th. Will check again in the morning. Thanks for all the help.

kckadow

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Verizon website is slooooowww. Just transferred upgrade from UDP line (8/15/13 upgrade date) to Tiered Data Plan line that had 8/20/15 upgrade date. Once transferred, the website made me upgrade the line right away. I tried to just do the upgrade and then see if it registered on that line, but if I left that screen it reverted to the prior upgrade info. So went through the process to upgrade the TDP line and just made sure it was upgrading the TDP line and not the UDP line. It indicated it was along the way and went ahead with purchase. A little vague in some areas, but I felt 99% sure it didn't change anything on my UDP line. I'll know on 8/12 when phone arrives and will post results.

Scenario was:
Line 1 = Droid Maxx - UDP - Upgrade available
Line 2 = iPhone 5 - UDP - Upgrade available
Line 3 = IPhone 5 - TDP - Upgrade date 8/20/15
Line 4 = feature phone - Upgrade available

Transferred Upgrade from Line 1 to Line 3 then upgraded Line 3.

I've got another one to do (Line 4), but I don't need another new phone right away (wife likes iPhone 5) and there's nothing out there that she really wants or I really want(waiting for Note 5, Droid & Nexus announcements). That brings up the question of what is the last day you can upgrade online(if I just want to get an S6 or Nexus 6 on the cheap, try it out and sell it if I don't like it)? If I do it on the 12th, don't get the phone until the 14th and don't activate it until the 14th, is that too late? I would assume that if the transaction occurs prior to or on the 13th it will be fine, but who knows.

Lastly, I got the Maxx in 2013, I upgraded the feature phone line to the Maxx, activated it, then switched it to the UDP line. No problem doing that and then cancelled data plan on feature phone line. VZW stopped charging the data costs on the feature phone line and no issues on the UDP line.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick