[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

sweetz325

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Seems like lots of things have changed since the last time I've been on here. My situation is as follows:

2 lines with grandfathered UDP at $29.99 per line (never went up to $49.99, knock on wood)

Last time I got 2 new phones using the Best Buy method, which is apparently no more. Anyone have any advice or methods that I can get a new phone at a reasonble price? I really can't fork out hundreds of dollars on a new phone right now and purchase retail price. Much appreciated!!

(***Please note that tried to do my due diligence and read pages and pages of this tread. Just couldn't really find anyone with the same situation as me.***)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Seems like lots of things have changed since the last time I've been on here. My situation is as follows:

2 lines with grandfathered UDP at $29.99 per line (never went up to $49.99, knock on wood)

Last time I got 2 new phones using the Best Buy method, which is apparently no more. Anyone have any advice or methods that I can get a new phone at a reasonble price? I really can't fork out hundreds of dollars on a new phone right now and purchase retail price. Much appreciated!!

(***Please note that tried to do my due diligence and read pages and pages of this tread. Just couldn't really find anyone with the same situation as me.***)

Those lines on-contract?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You need to wait for promotions. I picked up a few Moto z Play Droid for $20 no service contract months ago but that required a bit of work. The moto z droid was also$5/mo a few months ago no service contract, though dpp.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

You need to wait for promotions. I picked up a few Moto z Play Droid for $20 no service contract months ago but that required a bit of work. The moto z droid was also$5/mo a few months ago no service contract, though dpp.

And eligible for DPP

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Buy off of SWAPPA

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

And eligible for DPP

True. I have had to add a line to have a line eligible for dpp, then get the phone then cancel the line. You also need to read the terms of the promotion...some are 24 month bill credits so that wouldn't work in this case

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

True. I have had to add a line to have a line eligible for dpp, then get the phone then cancel the line. You also need to read the terms of the promotion...some are 24 month bill credits so that wouldn't work in this case

The dreaded bill credit deals. :(

kenshell

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site

I know this is a historic thread but.....
I'm in the same boat as you. My contract is up 10/30/17
Family Share 700 plan... 2 phones with original ULD 29.99/month and 1 no data phone
I'm not sure what i can or will be doing when its finally up.

I've been fortunate to hold on to UDP under contract using the methods on this forum. Currently clinging to a Family Share 700 plan...29.99/mo. For my line.

I'll be off contract in November of this year. Before, Verizon would hit us with the additional $40 once off contract, but I'm guessing now it will double since Verizon is offering UDP for $80/mo..

Can someone confirm? Just wondering if anybody still hanging on like myself could comment on this.

dj1807

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Verizon now has different unlimited plans. It was a good run but I don't think there is any way to avoid having to choose from what's now available. Plenty of info out there regarding the specifics of their plans.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys, its that time of year and I read the last couple of pages but I need major help, much of which is the same as the last couple of posts.

Have two lines @ 29.99 each, with UDP and 700 minutes, and limited text on both. Also have a third line that I had gotten through AOL that was 29.99 as well for use as a hotspot, but because I could not switch easily to another phone and do the Best Buy method, I got hit with the $20 increase on that line (oh wellz). Now I am coming up on my lines going off contract on both 11/2 and 11/26 (wife's line and my line, respectively.)

Anyway to keep UDP at $29.99 on either? If not, is it worth switching to new crappy unlimited on Verizon at the very least for cost savings? It's been a good run with G-UDP, but I want to know what the current state of affairs is. I really want to upgrade our phones to the S8 and Note 8 (she has the S5 currently...and it is starting to show its age...technologically wise...phone still looks brand new, but isn't even worth putting on Swappa.)

Please point me in the right direction...keep G-UDP, or find a good promotion and upgrade our phones and switch to current "unlimited..." I want it to make financial sense AND not want some form of unlimited data. If it helps, I pay $232 a month for those three lines. The 10GB hotspot on my phone is not an option as I prefer to have a separate device for that (and of course...no limit on data.)

airhed4

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Can we get the 0% financing for 24 months and keep our grandfathered unlimited plan?? Thinking of getting new Pixel XL 2 here is my monthly data charge as it stands now:

Email & Web Unlimited $49.99 per month