[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

I attempted this last night ordering a galaxy s5. I have a family plan with both phones having unlimited data. The main line processed fine, it's being shipped at the moment. I did not notice in the thread that you need to do the upgrade for the second phone via a transfer to the main line. So, it was flagged for me to call best buy. I didn't. I then saw a post stating to transfer the upgrade and tried that. It was several hours before I got the same email. I have cancelled both of the orders with best buy and have received credit to my bank account. I assume now that I just have to wait on verizon to show the ability to upgrade on my account. Right now it still says discount in 2016.

If someone could clear up the correct way to get the upgrade for my second line I'd be very grateful. I'm assuming I should have waited until I received the phone for my main line and had it active before proceeding to transfer the upgrade and place a second order. Would I have to switch the s5 that I ordered first over to the second line before activating the other s5 on the main line? Hopefully I haven't screwed myself too much.

I ordered through my second line on Best Buy. Both primary and second line were eligible for upgrade, but I wanted to see if I could order for second line, and had no issues. Got it yesterday and activated with old sim card and still showing as unlimited on Verizon website. I do have myself as having account manager status, so not sure if that's why I had no issues??

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Got my new phone, slipped in the card and its all good. Verizon shows unlimited data still with the 2 year contract extension. THANK YOU!!!!!

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

So I wonder if just purchasing through Best Buy and using the old sim cards would be easier? If I do purchase through Best Buy, you have to do two separate transactions on the Best Buy website correct?

Ask this in the best buy thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hzimmy

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site

Going from old, slow Droid X to Samsung G5. Charged new phone, put in Droid X sim card in new phone (backwards, I know). New phone started loading things, but won't make calls. Old phone without sim card is working as usual. Now what? (Please talk me through this like I'm a digital immigrant and not a digital native.) Thanks so much.

ETA: looks like droid X does not have a sim card. I was thinking it was the SD card. So now I guess I try the bought it on ebay trick - can I have a sim card - at the Verizon store.

Last edited:

rlhammon

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Yes... it's the little metal sim looking piece that has HTC logo cut into it. It was at the top on the left hand side in the box in the little flap with the manuals underneath.

Rlhammon- I just got the M8 tonight and was wondering if yours came with the Ejector Tray Tool? Mine did not but it talks about it in the manual.

hzimmy

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site

Do you guys think this tends to work better and more efficiently when you choose expedited shipping? It seems like if choose the standard shipping, which takes almost 2 weeks, that Verizon & best buy have more time to catch what's going on and question it? This makes me really want to choose expedited shipping... hmmmm

I chose expedited shipping and had no 'problem' email.

lifeisequal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Still showing no upgrade til 2016. :(

Edit: called verizon and it should be eligible for upgrade after midnight. Their system never showed the order was canceled with best buy. Can anyone else share their method for upgrading the second line?

Last edited:

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Can anyone tell me how to get all my old texts from my old razr Maxx to the LGG2?

jukeboxaddict

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

So even if this works, which it seems to be for everyone that goes about it the right way, aren't we all taking a HUGE risk in doing it? What's to stop Verizon from switching everyone over en masse at some point?

Anyway, I took advantage and am waiting for my iPhone to arrive tomorrow. Question though: I'm thinking of swapping colors, and it seems like trying an in-store exchange (even after my own SIM is in the phone) could easily screw me over and toss me off UDP. Has anyone successfully made a switch at Best Buy? Advice welcome.

ItsRob

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Can anybody else update us? Has anybody had any problems recently, success stories? Getting my S5 this Monday. Super stoked too, root was just released for it. :cool:

urachka

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site

I just recently upgraded from a Droid RAZR MAXX to a Samsung Galaxy S5. I'm on Nationwide 450 min, unlimited text & data plan.

Upgraded like normal through Verizon, accepted all the new plan changes, and when the phone got here I just took out the SIM from my Droid and put it in the Galaxy. It's been a week or so since I got the phone + my billing cycle just ended with no problems. Still have unlimited data!

In a way I'm glad I waited for the S5 but wish I knew it would be this easy earlier because I've had a terribly slow, shattered screened phone since September! ! (Remember that commercial where the guy keeps cutting his fingers on his phone screen? Yeah that was me for a while...)

Posted via Android Central App

wad2k

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

Still showing no upgrade til 2016. :(

Edit: called verizon and it should be eligible for upgrade after midnight. Their system never showed the order was canceled with best buy. Can anyone else share their method for upgrading the second line?
My udp line isn't eligible yet but my dumb lines were, so I transferred upgrade to udp and tried to order s5. Got the email saying there was problem so I cancelled. The upgrade date on then showed 2016 on the dumb line. The first time I called bb, they said the system needs to catch up. 24hrs later it was not resolved.called vz and they told me call bb back and insist bb call vz to fix it. I did and they put me on a 4 way conference call with 1 bb rep, 2 vz reps, and me. What a joke.all to get the upgrade date switched back after I cancelled.. but it got fixed immediately that way..call bb and tell them they need to contact vz to fix it.

wad2k

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

So I transferring an upgrade from dumb line to udp and placing order..it failed for me.got the email about a problem.im going to have to wait till udp line is eligible on 7/4 I guess. Hope it still works then..unless someone has other idea.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

So I transferring an upgrade from dumb line to udp and placing order..it failed for me.got the email about a problem.im going to have to wait till udp line is eligible on 7/4 I guess. Hope it still works then..unless someone has other idea.

Just order a new phone with the dumb line and when it comes take the SIM from the phone with UDP and put it in the new phone.

Posted via Android Central App

daily4x4

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

asking for guidance and to make sure I'm doing this right.
line 1 udp no upgrade s5
line 2 udp no upgrade iphone 4
line 3 udp upgrade eligible galaxy nexus
line 4 dumb phone no upgrade

Through verizon I transferred upgrade from line 3 to dumb phone line and ordered i phone 5 accepting 2 gb plan. Not realizing that galaxy nexus had sim card I ordered a new nano sim card from verizon for iphone 5 for galaxy nexus(line 3) saying I would be buying phone from friend. Got sim card put in the newly delivered iphone 5. Now it tells me the phone must be activated . How do I proceed? I assumed that all I had to do was put the nano sim card into Iphone 5 and line 3 would function with udp.

TIA
Daily4x4

jlouang

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site

Can anyone tell me how to get all my old texts from my old razr Maxx to the LGG2?

Download and Use Sms backup & restore app from old RAZR maxxx. Back it up to men card. Transfer to new phone. Download app again and restore it from mem card.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Crippldogg

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Ordered an S5 this morning to replace my iphone 4 I've had for 3 years. So far so good. My SIM should be here in a couple days and phone next week.

macbsk

May 20, 2012
Visit site

Please share if you were able to exchange the iPhone for a different color in the store and kept unlimited data.

Do not let the tech at BestBuy activate the new phone if you are able to exchange it?

So even if this works, which it seems to be for everyone that goes about it the right way, aren't we all taking a HUGE risk in doing it? What's to stop Verizon from switching everyone over en masse at some point?

Anyway, I took advantage and am waiting for my iPhone to arrive tomorrow. Question though: I'm thinking of swapping colors, and it seems like trying an in-store exchange (even after my own SIM is in the phone) could easily screw me over and toss me off UDP. Has anyone successfully made a switch at Best Buy? Advice welcome.

tippin187

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site

I decided to give this ago since I'm in desperate need of a smartphone replacement.. Mine is too laggy..

Put a order in this morning at 10 took a nap till about a half hour ago. Woke up to that email saying there is a problem..

Well I'm Impatient. So I called anyway. Not for them to fix my order but to go ahead and cancel. No questions asked they cancelled in about a min. My vzw account seems fine. Still showing UDP and my contract isn't renewed and still on month to month.

Read some posts on here saying setting up a billing password helps get through.. Ive added one and put in a second order with a billing password set up on my account.

Hoping all goes well.

My account is a single line plan with 450min and unlimited texting and data.