[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Hello everyone!

Can someone please confirm whether the following will work or if there's a better way to go about this?

Background: Family Share Plan
  • Line 1 - UDP - HTC Incredible (Original Release from when they were CDMA and did not have a SIM Card - Upgrade available)
  • Line 2 - TDP - Samsung Galaxy Stellar (Micro-SIM - No upgrade until June 2015)

Given that Line 1 does not have a SIM card, my assumption is that some creativity is required in order to make the BB method work.

Action Plan:
  1. Switch lines between the Incredible (UDP - CDMA) and the Stellar (TDP - Micro-SIM) on Verizon's website
  2. Order Samsung Galaxy S5 (Micro-SIM) on Best Buy using the Line 1 (UDP) Upgrade and have it sent to my house
  3. Remove the S5's Micro-SIM and replace it with the Stellar Micro-SIM - this should now have the UDP info as a result of Step 1 above
  4. Insert the Micro-SIM that came with the Best Buy S5 into the Stellar
  5. Replace the Incredible (CDMA) on the TDP line by activating the Stellar with the new Best Buy Micro-SIM

Questions / Concerns:
  • Step 5 above has two "activate" options: 1. "a device that I previously used with this account" and 2. "a device that I have not used with this account". Are these based on the SIM or on the device? I will have used the Stellar on the TDP line previously, but not with the new Micro-SIM that came with the S5
  • Does activating the SIM that was associated with Line 1's upgrade on Line 2 create an issue?
  • If the response to the question above is, "Yes"...how do I acquire another Micro-SIM so that I can put the Stellar back on Line 2?

I want to do this for my wife's birthday (Jan 28), so I need to act quickly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can upgrade with Best Buy without needing to switch phones around on the account. Just transfer your upgrade to line 2 and upgrade that line. When the phone arrives, just activate it on line 2. After a couple of hours, shut down all phones on both lines. Log into Verizon and reactivate the old phone on line 2. Then activate the new phone on line 1.

Posted via Android Central App

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

For those that did the transfer upgrade, when did your contract end date change on your UDP? A little bit after you made the purchase or after you turned the phone on and activated it? I ordered my note 4 on the 25th and nothing has changed on my account. The phone was just delivered today so based on nothing updating on my Verizon account, I'm assuming the contract date will change once I turn the phone on.

Still nervous to do this but from everyones info on here that has done this all you did was turn the phone on, use it for a bit then switch the phones around. Sorry I'm repeating myself but I like to be sure of things first, especially with my UDP! : )

It depends on the account. Some people see their dates change immediately. Others see at after activating the new phone. Finally, some don't see it change at all and can upgrade again.

You may be one of the lucky ones where the upgrade date doesn't change after doing the SIM swap.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
It depends on the account. Some people see their dates change immediately. Others see at after activating the new phone. Finally, some don't see it change at all and can upgrade again.

You may be one of the lucky ones where the upgrade date doesn't change after doing the SIM swap.

Well there's no SIM swap with me transferring my upgrade. I'm going on closer to an hour and half after activating the phone and the only thing that's changed is the little phone icon on the line it was transferred to. I'm gonna wait another hour then switch all the phones around then keep my eye on the account for any additional changes.

XopherC

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site

You can upgrade with Best Buy without needing to switch phones around on the account. Just transfer your upgrade to line 2 and upgrade that line. When the phone arrives, just activate it on line 2. After a couple of hours, shut down all phones on both lines. Log into Verizon and reactivate the old phone on line 2. Then activate the new phone on line 1.

Thank you. I transferred the upgrade from Line 1 (UDP) to Line 2 (TDP) via Verizon's website, but third-party vendors like BB and Amazon do not seem to see that a transfer occurred. When I tried upgrading Line 2 through BB, I received a message saying that the upgrade was not available for that line until June 2015. It looks like Verizon isn't passing the transfer on to other parties. Based on other messages I read here, my understanding is this their attempt to make sure anyone upgrading a line early by transferring an upgrade from another line must purchase their phone upgrade through Verizon.

RKO-1

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

Does friends and family 10, smartpak 1200 apply

Posted via the Android Central App

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Thank you. I transferred the upgrade from Line 1 (UDP) to Line 2 (TDP) via Verizon's website, but third-party vendors like BB and Amazon do not seem to see that a transfer occurred. When I tried upgrading Line 2 through BB, I received a message saying that the upgrade was not available for that line until June 2015. It looks like Verizon isn't passing the transfer on to other parties. Based on other messages I read here, my understanding is this their attempt to make sure anyone upgrading a line early by transferring an upgrade from another line must purchase their phone upgrade through Verizon.

It's safe to upgrade through Verizon using the method I described. You don't have to use Best Buy.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Next morning and I still see my line as month to month. Oh well, guess I see a BB method in the future, maybe. Come to find out I actually did have to swap my sim cards around. I think the reason why is because I was using the M8 which is a nano sim vs the Note 4 which is a micro sim. One weird thing I did come across, when switching the M8 to my wife's line I attempted to have them send me a new sim card, I was them prompted with a pop saying I would have to select a new data plan???? To avoid this I simply cut her existing sim card to fit the M8 and it worked just fine and our account is now showing that her phone is the M8.

I suppose I could have avoided cutting the sim by activating the Note 4 on her line then switching her phone with my phone via the phone swap option on myverizon.com. Oh well over and done with now.

XopherC

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site

It's safe to upgrade through Verizon using the method I described. You don't have to use Best Buy.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Two additional concerns:
  1. I want to upgrade 1 line now and still be able to upgrade the other in June when Line 2 is available for an upgrade. Line 2's June 2015 upgrade will no longer be available if I transfer and use Line 1's upgrade on Line 2, correct?
  2. The Samsung S5 costs $150 more through Verizon than if I upgrade through BB.

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Well, it looks like we still have unlimited. I transferred an upgrade from an unlimited 1st line to a non-data 3rd line. Activated the new iphone on the 3rd line and chose 2 gb for data. The 1st (and 2nd) lines still show as unlimited. I did all of this thru Verizon online, whenever I talked to reps they all told me I would lose unlimited so I just decided to order thru Verizon online and see what happened. *Crossing fingers it stays this way*

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for the quick reply.

Two additional concerns:
  1. I want to upgrade 1 line now and still be able to upgrade the other in June when Line 2 is available for an upgrade. Line 2's June 2015 upgrade will no longer be available if I transfer and use Line 1's upgrade on Line 2, correct?
  2. The Samsung S5 costs $150 more through Verizon than if I upgrade through BB.

1) By transferring the upgrade, you extend the contract on line 1. Contract extensions are based on the line where the upgrade originated. You will still be able to use line 2's upgrade in June.

2) Best Buy does allow transfers of upgrades. You should be able to do it through their website. I've never needed to do it, but hopefully, someone else can give you directions.

doublea104

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

First, thanks for reading. I believe this is a pretty straight forward question. You guys are the experts and I hope you let me know if I am understanding this correctly.

I am on an Individual Plan with Unlimited Data.
I am currently using a Motorola Droid X (Original 3G) I believe this is a no-sim phone.

From researching myself, I believe the only way for me to keep my UDP is the buy a phone at full retail price and then activate that phone on my Individual Plan. However, I have concerns because my current phone is a 3G only phone and seems to be a no-sim as well. I am looking to get the Galaxy S5. When I try adding this to my Verizon Cart their web portal forces me to pick a data plan and I don't see an option for "keep current plan". Any advice on this one?

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

First, thanks for reading. I believe this is a pretty straight forward question. You guys are the experts and I hope you let me know if I am understanding this correctly.

I am on an Individual Plan with Unlimited Data.
I am currently using a Motorola Droid X (Original 3G) I believe this is a no-sim phone.

From researching myself, I believe the only way for me to keep my UDP is the buy a phone at full retail price and then activate that phone on my Individual Plan. However, I have concerns because my current phone is a 3G only phone and seems to be a no-sim as well. I am looking to get the Galaxy S5. When I try adding this to my Verizon Cart their web portal forces me to pick a data plan and I don't see an option for "keep current plan". Any advice on this one?

1) Borrow a friend's unused 4g VZW phone. Take to a VZW store to get a working SIM for that temporary phone.
2) Use that temporary phone for a few days.
3) Buy the S5 from BestBuy.com and choose "keep existing plan" and have delivered to your home.
4) When the S5 is delivered DO NOT power it up under any conditions until the SIM from the temporary phone has been put in the S5. Treat the SIM which came from BestBuy with the new phone like it is toxic waste- never to be used under any circumstance.
5) Power up the S5 (using that temp. phone SIM) and make a call to any phone number.

BestBuy.com currently has the S5 for $49.
This method will allow you to get the S5 and keep your UDP.

You do not contact Verizon during any of this process or changes of phones. If you get any emails or calls from BestBuy or Verizon after you place your order for the S5 you have to cancel the order. Otherwise Verizon will take away your UDP.

Last edited:

D4rkShaDoWz

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys having a little issue here.

I upgraded my phone on the TDP line and successfully activated it. I can make calls and send texts through that number. The only problem is, I'm upgrading a device that's using a micro SIM so I can't just swap the SIM cards of the two. Can I use the Activate a New Device feature in VZW.com, select " I am activating a device that I previously used with this account" and chose the old iPhone 6. Then I could switch the two devices (both iPhone 6) with the option "Switch a Device." Will this be okay as long as I definitely activated the device? (I did)

EDIT: I have activated the new iPhone 6 Gold on the TDP line but switched it back to my mom's old iPhone 6 (Space Grey). Can I just use the option "I am activating a device that I previously used with this account" and chose the iPhone 6 Gold on the UDP line or does it have to always be on the TDP line?

Last edited:

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Just wanted to share my recent experience. This is an upgrade done through Verizon:

My situation:
Line1 Note 3 UDP (No Upgrade)
Line2 iPhone 5 UDP (Upgrade available)
Line3 iPhone 5 UDP (Upgrade available)
Line4 Basic Phone, no data (Upgrade available)​

1. Use upgrade, ordered iPhone 6 on Line4, select $30 data plan
  2. Basic Phone had pending order, for only 24 hours but then cleared. Upgrade date shows not available now for 2 years.
  3. Before iPhone 6 arrived, transferred Line2 upgrade to Line4 and ordered 2nd iPhone 6
  4. After 24 hours basic phone pending upgrade cleared, transferred Line3 upgrade to Line4 and ordered Note 4. Surprisingly even though upgrades transferred they were still available on Line2 and Line3
  5. Received 1st iPhone 6, removed included SIM before powering up, inserted SIM from Line2 in iPhone 6, Automatically activated on Line2 with unlimited data preserved.
  6. 2nd iPhone 6 did same thing, removed included SIM, put SIM from Line3 into phone and it activated on Line3
  7. Note 4 arrived, Placed SIM from Line1 in new phone and it activated with UDP on Line1
  8. Pending upgrades have all cleared, Upgrades on Line2 and Line3 are still available to transfer upgrade again if I wish. Data plan never implemented on Line4 and is still at the $9.99/mo basic phone rate.

Now Have:
Line1 Note 4 UDP (No Upgrade)
Line2 iPhone 6 UDP (Upgrade available)
Line3 iPhone 6 UDP (Upgrade available)
Line4 Basic Phone, no data (No Upgrade)​

Shows that you can avoid persistent data charges on a basic phone line by never actually activating the phone on the basic phone line, just put SIM from your UDP line in the new phone.

Pending activation fell off in my experience within 24 hours and even before the new phone was activated on the UDP line. This allowed me to order 2 phones for my son's for Christmas, not one at a time.

There is a glitch in the Verizon system in my case that did not change the Upgrade Availability Date when upgrade was transferred to the basic line. Not sure how long this glitch will remain, others have also reported it.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys having a little issue here.

I upgraded my phone on the TDP line and successfully activated it. I can make calls and send texts through that number. The only problem is, I'm upgrading a device that's using a micro SIM so I can't just swap the SIM cards of the two. Can I use the Activate a New Device feature in VZW.com, select " I am activating a device that I previously used with this account" and chose the old iPhone 6. Then I could switch the two devices (both iPhone 6) with the option "Switch a Device." Will this be okay as long as I definitely activated the device? (I did)

EDIT: I have activated the new iPhone 6 Gold on the TDP line but switched it back to my mom's old iPhone 6 (Space Grey). Can I just use the option "I am activating a device that I previously used with this account" and chose the iPhone 6 Gold on the UDP line or does it have to always be on the TDP line?

Either way would work.

MORANDCHI

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site

I also have UDP with verizon I have been out of contract since April. This is what I do, in order to keep my UDP for my line. I have a family share 700 plan with (4) lines total.

I have my best buy credit card, Buy the phone outright at full price and use the free financing (ie 12 or 18 month) at 0%. Right now I have the LG-G3 with VZW at the time it was 12 month financing when i bought it which comes out to 69 dollars a month.

Chris

guest120

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site

Hey guys,

A lot of helpful info in here but i just wanted to double check before going forward with getting a new phone and keeping my unlimited.

My account has 2 UDP and 1 (2gb) Data Plan. 2GB Data plan is up for an Upgrade however the UDP is not. Can i order the phone under the 2GB data plan and take out/throw the sim and put my sim in? Would this work via the Best Buy method?

Thanks in advance!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
[Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I don't see how they could legally change your plan when upgrading a different line.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Legal has nothing to do with it unless the other lines were in contract. If others are in month to month they don't owe you anything and can change at will.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys,

A lot of helpful info in here but i just wanted to double check before going forward with getting a new phone and keeping my unlimited.

My account has 2 UDP and 1 (2gb) Data Plan. 2GB Data plan is up for an Upgrade however the UDP is not. Can i order the phone under the 2GB data plan and take out/throw the sim and put my sim in? Would this work via the Best Buy method?

Thanks in advance!
Since the upgrade came from the 2gb line, you can upgrade using any source.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

That would work. However, it is safe to activate the phone on the tiered line. This is the preferred way as it would avoid a pending activation on your account. If you activate on the tiered line, you can always log into Verizon and move phones among your lines.

When your unlimited lines become eligible for an upgrade, just transfer the upgrade to the tiered line.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys91