Interesting news on the Tensor chip in Pixel 6

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
"The two X1 cores are joined by four cores clocked at 1.80 GHz, and two clocked at 2.25 GHz."

Find it hard to believe it's setup with two X1 cores. The X1 core is large, likely wouldn't be enough room on the CPU section of the SoC for this setup. Add to that, it'd heat up so much, battery would tank doing anything processor intensive.

If somehow it is true, it seems like it'd be extremely bad design/decision to implement.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Well according to XDA, it might actually have two X1 cores:

https://www.xda-developers.com/exclusive-google-tensor-specs-in-pixel-6/

"Assuming the output wasn’t tampered with, we’ve determined that the Google Tensor will have the following CPU configuration:

2x ARM Cortex-X1 clocked at 2.802GHz
2x ARM Cortex-A76 clocked at 2.253GHz
4x ARM Cortex-A55 clocked at 1.80GHz"

This is crazy to me for a few reasons. Again, having a very hot, inefficient cores on the X1 is not a great idea, having two of them is crazy.

Then having two A76 cores which are old, outdated and surpassed in every way by the A78 core makes no sense either. Why would Google deliberately choose two slower, larger and ineffecient cores over two newer ones which are better in every way?

This chip sounds way too crazy. Nothing about it makes sense. If this is true, then Google must have some reason for creating this monster. My understanding was that having their own TPU was to offset work from the CPU, so why have two X1 cores when the TPU is offloading processing?

With this chip and a 1440p 120hz screen (which doesn't seem like it can be turned to 1080p in the settings), I'm worried that the phone will be extremely battery intensive.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
No real trust in Google after the last two pixels which were horrible I'm my opinion. Let's see the reviews first then I will test one at a tmobile store.