Intermittent Data

cookrd1

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the latest 2.11.605.9 update on my TB, but I had this same issue prior to the update.

I had Vz activate the Hotspot feature on my TB. Hotspot worked great for the first evening. Next day, data connection (I'm on 3G) would be lost. Since I am stationary in my motorcoach and within sight of a Vz tower (-65 dBm), this should not be a problem. Using the LTE app to turn on/off LTE (no LTE service here) does not help. Turning on and off Airplane mode doesn't help. Reboot gets data back, but sometimes for only a few minutes.

This may be a coincidence, but if I reboot and use PDANet, I have never had the intermittent data problem.

This is my fourth TB and the last two had this issue. Prior to getting this fourth TB, Vz advised they would let me upgrade now (I am eligible Jan 17 2012 since I opted for the one year upgrade for extra $70). BFD!!! I would have to spend $300 for Google Nexus AND commit to an additional 2 years! I am not even sure that there is a phone on Vz that meets my requirements - min 4" screen, preferably ICS, HDMI out/mirroring, replaceable battery, disk mode, uSD card slot).

Any ideas? I am tempted to just reboot and use PDANet but still continue to pay for the hotspot feature since I don't want to get caught not paying for the hotspot since I would be tethering (via USB, ugh) to my laptop.

Thanks, Bob

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the latest 2.11.605.9 update on my TB, but I had this same issue prior to the update.

I had Vz activate the Hotspot feature on my TB. Hotspot worked great for the first evening. Next day, data connection (I'm on 3G) would be lost. Since I am stationary in my motorcoach and within sight of a Vz tower (-65 dBm), this should not be a problem. Using the LTE app to turn on/off LTE (no LTE service here) does not help. Turning on and off Airplane mode doesn't help. Reboot gets data back, but sometimes for only a few minutes.

This may be a coincidence, but if I reboot and use PDANet, I have never had the intermittent data problem.

This is my fourth TB and the last two had this issue. Prior to getting this fourth TB, Vz advised they would let me upgrade now (I am eligible Jan 17 2012 since I opted for the one year upgrade for extra $70). BFD!!! I would have to spend $300 for Google Nexus AND commit to an additional 2 years! I am not even sure that there is a phone on Vz that meets my requirements - min 4" screen, preferably ICS, HDMI out/mirroring, replaceable battery, disk mode, uSD card slot).

Any ideas? I am tempted to just reboot and use PDANet but still continue to pay for the hotspot feature since I don't want to get caught not paying for the hotspot since I would be tethering (via USB, ugh) to my laptop.

Thanks, Bob
PDAnet uses different technology (Dial Up Networking) than Mobile Hotspot, that's why one works and one doesn't. You're having trouble connecting via Wifi, not DUN. Wifi has the potential to be much faster than DUN, if working, of course :) .

For Mobile Hotspot try...

Different device (i.e. Different Laptop)
Different (lower) encryption protocols in phone setup (as low as none, even)
Make sure the phone Hotspot is set to "always on" (Menu, Settings, Mobile Hotspot Settings, MENU, Advanced)
Different Wifi Chanel (Menu, Settings, Mobile Hotspot Settings, MENU, Advanced)

These are things that can affect any Wifi setup -- can be different on each one. Depends on the negotiatons between the devices.

-Frank

cookrd1

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Frank, but it is NOT a WIFI problem. I can watch the data connection drop on the TB, and the TB has NO data access until it either mysteriously works again or until rebooted.

Bob

cookrd1

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
And, just to ensure no confusion, the data connection never drops when using PDANet or just using the TB without any tethering (after reboot). It can stream radio stations all day and night. But, use the hotspot feature, and it will drop the data connection, sometime within minutes. Also, I have the "No activity" on the hotspot set to never, so the app should never stop.

Again, this is NOT a WIFI issue.

Bob

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Frank, but it is NOT a WIFI problem. I can watch the data connection drop on the TB, and the TB has NO data access until it either mysteriously works again or until rebooted.

Bob

There was a thread here about 2 months ago with the same data-signal dropping problem on the MHS. He was also adamant about it not being a Wifi prob because the data-signal dropped. He changed devices and it worked. After he changed phones (to the Rezound, I think) and had the same MHS issue. It was a helloushly long thread. Up to you though.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
And, just to ensure no confusion, the data connection never drops when using PDANet or just using the TB without any tethering (after reboot). It can stream radio stations all day and night. But, use the hotspot feature, and it will drop the data connection, sometime within minutes. Also, I have the "No activity" on the hotspot set to never, so the app should never stop.

Again, this is NOT a WIFI issue.

Bob
Again, check the other thread. He was so certain, like you are, that he changed phones. Only to keep having the same problem.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Steve.P

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact problem with my TBolt with the same software version. I have tried changing several settings (Rev.A eHRPD, Network mode, Mobile Hotspot security mode) and the problem remains. Here is what I found that makes a difference. When the phone has a 3G data connection I get the same problem. When the phone has a LTE data connection it works great with no loss of connection.

I have noticed this at several locations. My brother lives in Nederland, a 3G area, nothing but problems, In Boulder, a LTE area no problems.

At my home in Delaware the same thing. With 3G data problems. Lock the phone into LTE only mode no problems.

For these tests I used the same configuration and notebook (MacBook Air, mid 2011).

I also tried using pdanet and did not have the 3G disconnect problems. However, It did cause my MacBook Air to reboot a few times. While I have not tried it yet I have read that if the OS is started in 32-bit mode it is reported to fix this issue.

Steve

Last edited:

nacpeye

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have had the same problem and have spent numerous hours on the phone with tech support. They have claimed (several different tech's) that they and HTC are aware of the problem and that it is a software issue and they are working on it. They have tried all the same fixes (battery pull, change from LTE to 3G and even a master reset) but nothing has helped. I do not want to get a replacement because my phone has no other issues, and if it really is a software issue, then a replacement is not going to solve the problem. It is not a wifi issue because the phone actually loses the data signal and then comes back in a few minutes. I have had the same problem in 3G as well as LTE. I just keep my fingers crossed that one of these many "fixes" will finally have the hotspot fix in the upgrade.

Jrocker23

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible that the sim card or even battery cover is bad. see if verizon will give you a new sim card or try a different battery door. The door has antennas on it....

Reactions: Jude526

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
If there is even a bend in the SIM card or if the battery cover is damaged there can be issues as explained earlier.
One thing I do if I have to reboot the phone I just slide up the SIM card while removing the battery. Let it sit a couple of seconds. Then put back. Need to be careful with the SIM. Slightest bit of damage and it wont work properly. The antenna is in the cover and need to be careful with it too

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

cookrd1

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
PROBLEM SOLVED - Intermittent Data

I may have solved my mobile hotspot data problem on my HTC Thunderbolt on my MacBook Pro. The DNS setting was set for my mobile satellite. Changing that to Google public DNS has so far solved the problem.
Bob

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: PROBLEM SOLVED - Intermittent Data

I may have solved my mobile hotspot data problem on my HTC Thunderbolt on my MacBook Pro. The DNS setting was set for my mobile satellite. Changing that to Google public DNS has so far solved the problem.
Bob
That's good to hear. Why don't you use DHCP to set the DNS?

-Frank