Intermittent issue with calls not getting through

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
This has been frustrating me for a while, but it's very hit or miss. People will call me, but the phone never rings and I never get a missed call notification. If they leave a voice mail, I will see that. Friends and family have gotten used to it enough that they call our VOIP land line if I don't pick up the call on my Note. If I turn around after finding out I missed a call and call my Note via the VOIP line, it works every time. It seems impossible to figure out when it will ignore calls.

None of the 4 stock phone apps are optimized, and all allow notification. I nuked all of my 3rd party spam blockers, like Hiya, etc. I turned off Wifi calling. I see the S9's had an issue similar to this after an update, but it didn't seem to impact the Note 9's.

I'm getting to the point of doing a full on reset, but I sure hate going through that. Not sure it would fix the problem anyway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

riceastwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
My father is having this same problem with his s9+ on sprint network. This same problem has been going on close to a month now and sprint wanted to reset his voicemail which he refused. At least he gets an updated airave but now I have to go figure this out further now knowing that his outdated airave is not the problem.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
There are several threads about the S9 issue. Supposedly turning off Caller ID and Spam protection fixes it on those phones. Although it would suck to not be able to use those.

riceastwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Reset the network works. You just have to re enter WiFi password and set up Bluetooth connected devices. Go into settings and reset mobile connection then reboot phone. That did the trick for my father.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
TrueCaller is another app that tends to do this sort of thing, so if you have that installed, try uninstalling it.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks folks. I have tried reset the mobile connection. Verizon recommended that one. Didn't help, unfortunately. Maybe I should try it again, though. Been a few months since I last did it.

I don't have TrueCaller, or any other spam blocker/filter app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're certain that you have good cell signal when this happens? Despite Verizon's overall good coverage, there can still be holes.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
You're certain that you have good cell signal when this happens? Despite Verizon's overall good coverage, there can still be holes.
Can't say I have a good signal every time, but it has happened many times in places I know I have a good signal.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Can't say I have a good signal every time, but it has happened many times in places I know I have a good signal.
"Know" as in "measured it and seen at least -105dBm"? Or "know" as in "lots of bars"? Bars mean nothing - if you don't have an app that measures signal strength, install one. (Since it's a measurement below a certain standard [the minus sign in front of the number ells you that], the lower the number, the higher the signal. Anything weaker than -110dBm can give you a problem. And a hole can be a "hole" - I've measured holes about 6" in diameter and about 2" deep. So sometimes just turning in your chair will take the phone out of the hole.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samii