Intermittent MMS messages not received "message expired or not available"

Adam Zeis

Adminstrator
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Switched from Fi to Visible a few weeks ago, now having an intermittent issue where some MMS messages aren't received and instead I get an error that says Message expired or not available.

It doesn't happen all the time, but every so often. I went for two+ weeks without it then it happened again last night. My wife is also experiencing the issue. Seems arbitrary. One group that we're both in, she got messages that I didn't, then I got messages that she didn't. Happened in both groups with just Android users as well as groups with iPhone users. Today I got the error for a single MMS from one sender, not a group. The messages are just MIA, no way to get them back by trying to download, reboot, etc.

I've tried factory reset, using Google Messages beta, clearing app storage/cache, network reset, toggled auto-download, turning off RCS, and WiFi calling —no luck. Also tried Textra and Pulse, but they just hide the issue (messages still not received and no error message).

My wife and I are using Pixel 4a on Visible, never experienced this on Fi or AT&T. Seems that it's very widespread too across various devices and carriers: https://support.google.com/messages/thread/66009263?hl=en

I contacted Visible and they said they'd escalate, Google support told me it's a carrier issue. I'm at a loss! It's not a problem until it's a problem, it comes and goes.

Anyone else having this issue? Would love to get this seen and escalated as high as possible to hopefully find a fix!

Attachments

• Screenshot (Nov 10, 2020 9:07:28 AM).png
    Screenshot (Nov 10, 2020 9:07:28 AM).png
    129.6 KB · Views: 18

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I was having little issue with Google messages on my Note 20U like this and a recent update in play store seemed to fix it .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech