Internal Memory vs. micro SD cards?

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably dumb, but....

If Marshmallow uses SD cards as native storage, why would I need more than the 16g base Moto? Couldn't I just put my 128g card in and it will act as though it's internal storage? Am I not understanding this Marshmallow feature?

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: I'm probably dumb, but....

If Marshmallow uses SD cards as native storage, why would I need more than the 16g base Moto? Couldn't I just put my 128g card in and it will act as though it's internal storage? Am I not understanding this Marshmallow feature?

There are a several threads with many posts with different opinions on the SD and internal memory in this forum. Read through them for a total overview.

Marshmallow is the next release of Android Operating System scheduled for release in October. While the Moto X Pure will probably receive the upgrade sooner rather than later, no date had been set in concrete yet. At this point I don't know if any one outside of the development team is exactly sure what the statement about allowing a card to be treated as extended phone memory really means.

The biggest reason even after the upgrade is a significant number of people believe access is faster to internal than card memory. I tend to doubt most people will be able to tell the difference unless during gaming or some movies. That is based on using a high level card - Class 10 or one of the UHS level cards.

Personally I ordered 32GB. The increase was dirt cheap. I have never had phone memory fail but have had a couple cards fail.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

By the way - you are only dumb if you don't know when you need to ask a question. As in most things - bigger is better in memory.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

I have all of my pics, music video and docs on an SD card. But.... my 16GB of internal memory is down to 25% available with apps and "miscellaneous files".

Even with an SD card, I'd never consider less than 32GB.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

First, we do not know how long before M arrives, so you are waiting for that to happen.

Second, M is supposed to have the option to integrate or not. I chose not to, because prefer media separate since MUCH more simple to transfer a card from one device to another. If integrated, moving the sd becomes problematic at best.

Case in point, all I had to do going from the Note 4 to the Pure was removed the sd card and put it in the Pure. Not so simple with integrated M option.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000