iOS to Android: OnePlus 3, Nexus 5X, Nexus 2016

Lauterpacht24

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

Long time iOS user here. I've had iPhones for the last 5.5 years and I've got that feeling that my 2.5 year old 5S is going to die soon. I always buy my phones upfront because it works out cheaper and especially with android you get more options. I'm not really looking to spend more than £350 ($500) which is why I don't want another iPhone. I can't justify the extra expense. I usually have a phone for somewhere around 2 years.

2 years ago I had a Nexus 5 for 24 hours... let's just say I didn't really give it a chance. The 5X is appealing because it is has a 5.2 inch display (closer to my dinky 5S) and is plummeting in price. The OnePlus 3 is something that caught my eye last week... top end specs and great value at £300. I'm just a bit concerned that it could take ages for OxygenOS to get 7.0 Nutella like the delay I read about of OnePlus users getting Marshmallow. I think I prefer the more stock android experience too. But hey what do I know as an iOS diehard!

The third option is of course to wait and see what new Nexus devices hit the shelves in September. My 5S might make it that long... who knows. Are there any phone I'm missing that could fit the bill? Are Samsung Galaxy devices or the Nexus 6P worth the extra cash? I'm a pretty heavy user all day.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
IMO the Nexus 5X is superior to the One Plus 3 in just about every way - it's not on build materials, being plastic vs all metal and the processor doesn't have the same theoretical output, though in practice due to throttling they're pretty similar. The OP3 also has better low light capabilities on the camera, but in daylight the 5X is a little better. It's also consistently on sale for much cheaper.

If it were me I'd wait until the new Nexus announcement, but if you can't wait I'd go 5X all day.