Iphone 4 to Atrix 4g Who made the switch

chiratsu

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys I just switched from the Iphone 4 to the atrix. Had a few questions
Can you video chat via skype from the droid if so how?

is it me or is the screen clarity on the atrix a lot less bright and crisp than the iphone 4.

I did and back to an iPhone 4 in less than few hours.

Motorola really screwed up on this one.

Chase711

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Coming from the iP4 myself

Hello -new guy here-

Switched my iPhone 4 for the Atrix myself and thus far I've been extremely impressed, and this is coming from the guy who was never really a fan of the Android OS...

Initial Impressions:

The good:

- Screen is obviously not as sharp as the iP4 but it really doesn't bother me, I like the screen real estate better not to mention the fact that it's ALMOST the iP4's resolution. Another note - I can see the Pentile screen but it's not that bothersome (in contrast I had a Samsung Focus for a month that was SAMOLED Pentile at 800x480 and it REALLY bothered me!)

- Speed is incredible. Angry birds (albeit in different a different OS) loads in nearly half the time as the iPhone. WOW!

- Browser is absolutely screaming. Whoops the iP4 in every test I can throw at it hands down. (took less than half the time the iP4 needed to run Sunspider benchmark)

- Interface is subjective, but I actually don't mind Motoblur... I like the customization abilities. Steve Jobs shouldn't be able to tell me what to do with my home screen. 20 home screen icons in a 4x5 grid is SO 2007. :p

- Lapdock is sweet. I'm a college student and I will be taking this to class for note taking purposes. (plus the ability to shoot off an occasional text under the radar is priceless :). I don't find it too slow since I'm used to working in the cloud just typing in Onenote from my Skydrive.

The bad:

- Keyboard is ok, but nothing to write home about, I'm still making a lot errors when typing.

- I'm a Mac user so I miss the tight iTunes integration with everything (auto syncing apps, pictures, videos, importing, etc...) Any suggestions for a good program that could bring some iTunes syncing functionality back?

All in all, I foresee dumping the iP4 in a week or two on eBay :cool:
My dream is to have mobile access to my OneNote files! However, I can't find any apps that seem quality, you can't get OneNote on the phone, can you? How do you go about doing this? What I would REALLY like to do is be able to have my OneNote notebooks on my new Asus Transformer, which runs off of Android Honeycomb. Actually, if I can't find a way to do that, I'll probably return the tablet, since that is the primary reason that I bought it, only to be frustrated that I can't find a way to get OneNote on here. What I would really like to do is be able to save the files on here so that I can still study them when I don't have internet access. Any advice?? Thanks!

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm back to the IPhone 4 as well. I really liked the Atrix a lot and didn't want to do it, but when you go through two phones because of poor call quality you really don't have a choice. My wife and customers would tell me that they couldn't understand a word I was saying and I tried all the suggestions posted by Motorola and nothing worked. Android is great and will be missed, I might swap out for the Galaxy S II when it comes out. As of now I didn't care for any of the other Android phones on ATT. The LG was nice but 3d is gimmicky and the Samsung was too big.

coreymcl

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I go back and forth between the iPhone 4 and the Atrix on a weekly basis. I love the music capabilities of the iPhone 4 but long for the customization of the Atrix.

Also I really enjoy using the Laptop dock with the Atrix. I travel regularly and they make a great combination when you don't want to carry 2 laptops.

audit

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I came from a iPhone 4 and so far I'm fairly happy with the Atrix. It's rooted but I haven't loaded any custom ROM's on it yet.

Con's:
Pictures are not anywhere near as crisp as with the iPhone and even though I'm using a 3rd party viewer, when I try to look at the photo's, it doesn't show on the entire screen.
Keyboard sucks. Always hitting the . key when I'm trying to hit the space bar. I've disabled the double tap on the spacebar to keep the . from inserting but I'm always getting that in.
Screen in sunlight is next to impossible to see. Even with a screen protector on, I still can't see my screen if I'm outside in direct sunlight.

Pro's:
SPEED
Able to download apps without syncing to my laptop/computer. I love the fact that I no longer need iTunes for anything now, if I want something, I can just install it from the market and it's on my phone. Auto updates are great also as I hated typing in my password and seeing the icon telling me of updates all the time.
Choice of email clients is much better. I hate being limited to what I can do on any device. I don't keep my phone's stock. They are always modified to the way that I use them and since I'm the head of the IOS and Android Dev teams for our company, I want my phone the way I want it, not the way Apple wants me to have it, even Jailbreaking didn't help much.
Battery life is great. I go 8hr's on a full battery before I'm charging again or swapping out a battery. Always carrying around my charging cable with me when out with the family for the day really sucked and I felt stupid sitting along the wall of the mall while my phone charged up again. Now i can just swap out another battery if needed.

Overall I'm happy with the Atrix. it's been a month and I sold my iphone4. Wife didn't want it as she's happy with her 3GS. I'm sure that will change in time though. She's already been asking about the Android phones and what would be a good one for her. Since she mainly does a lot of txt's, emails and facebook, I'm not sure yet for her. I have my full upgrade coming next month but I'm waiting until AT&T get's a REAL 4G phone before I upgrade. No reason to get one that they say is 4G when it's not. I got the Atrix as a trade and because my cousin has one and loves it. He's an android guy and deals with phones all the time, said the Atrix is the best he's ever used. he also has the Laptop Dock but he got that for free, said it's not worth the $300 for it so I'm looking for one that around $125-$150 sometime after the new year. Hunting season's here now so I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of video with my Atrix and that will be a real test.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Try bringing the brightness all the way up and then setting the auto again. It worked for me. The phone actually performs well on a bright sunlight when viewed something with a white background. not so much with the dark background though.
looks like the best phone for your wife would be a blackberry lol :)
speaking of LTE there are two factors that make me to hold off getting an LTE phone: battery life and current ATT data plans. I am not sure if they will come up with plans at least with 4GB for the same price because 2GB on LTE is ridiculous to say the least. so I'm quite OK with the hspa speeds and the battery life that I have now.

audit

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I gave her a Blackberry when she dropped her iPhone and the screen shattered. She REFUSED to use it. Couldn't figure out how to even answer the phone, much less use it for email. She hates blackberry and will ONLY use iPhone or now maybe a Android since she's seen and used mine.

As far as data plans, we're both on Unlimited Data. Both our kids want a smartphone but they would chew through the max plan they offer new people now in a couple hours. Both are teens and could really benefit from having one, my son uses an old iPhone 3 as an iPod and uses WiFi at home to do things on it but he'd rather have the iPhone itself as a regular phone.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a Mac as well and I am switching to Thunderbolt or Atrix...trying to decide how important it is to be able to completely customize and root my phone, so I'm prob leaning towards the Thunderbolt.

Back on topic....Doubletwist.com I have heard good things about and sync's itunes to your phone.

Just use Google music beta instead. With my experience, its been way better than double twist.

Sent from my amazing galaxy tab 10.1 which also eats ipads

anon(62000)

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Destroyed my iP4 last week... freak accident. Currently on a Captivate but I'll be bringing it back in a day or two..... REALLY considering the Atrix. Glad I found this thread. :)

*update*
Got my Atrix, had to bring it back (bad screen)...... grabbed a replacement (NEW.... thanks Best Buy). Gotta say, so far I LOVE this phone. Even Motoblur, which I've heard so much negativity about.

Last edited:

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem that Audit had with hitting the . key instead of the space bar. The iPhone and stock android keyboard are a different layout for the period. It took a while to get use to it but I don't hit the . now near as much. You can use swype and not have to worry about hitting the . key by accident.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
estroner