iPhone X

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I use both, have a XL 2 and the X. They are both great phones, but the X makes my XL 2's display look even worse. They both have blue tint off axis, but my XL 2 is way worse. Face ID has worked almost every time for me so far, so pick up the phone and it is unlocked, but the XL 2 fingerprint is faster. All in all, two great phone that I will continue to use, just wish the XL 2 display was up to par.

Hopefully next year Google leaves LG in the dust and goes full in with HTC/samsung for displays. LG hasn't made good displays in a long time. I mean remember the mac situation with LG vs samsung screens and the major issues LG screens on a mac had? If Google went with Samsung for XL2 screen, we wouldn't even be having this discussion on the screen issues.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I was on the first floor of my townhouse with my Pixel 2 XL on the second level charging on my couch. So I go to the stairs and say "Okay Google, what time is it? Google Assistant promptly responds to my inquiry. I had to have been 13-15 feet away from the phone. Now if I can get her to put the toilet seat down for me when I'm done.

Surprised the Google Assistant features aren't shown off more by tech reviewers. One reviewer was like you have to squeeze your phone for Google Assistant. No, you can use your voice if you want.

Google and Apple have invested over a billion dollars into LG POLED screens. Nobody is ditching LG.

Well maybe one day they will produce a decent screen. Until then, you get second rate displays as shown with the XL2.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Set up three iPhone X's in our office on Friday.

No question in my mind that the in-hand feel is extraordinary, and the evident build quality seems as good as any smartphone I've held. They're gorgeous phones, and I suspect that while I'm not a fan of the notch, people will quickly get used to it.

That said, the blue shift on all three was easily as, if not slightly more, pronounced in the iPhone displays. FaceID was not as fast or consistent in unlocking as other 2 XL FPS.

All in all, I prefer my 2 XL, but am quite jealous of the smaller form factor while retaining a jumbo screen.

Google and Apple have invested over a billion dollars into LG POLED screens. Nobody is ditching LG.

They'll give it time to get up to competitive speed, but if it isn't getting there fast enough the cost of sales lower quality could incent them to cut their losses.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I assume everyone knows that the screens on the iPhone X is produced by Samsung to the specs provided by Apple. They are not LG screens.

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
And once he switches to Android he will figure out all the quirkiness and inconsistencies that come along with android that he never had to deal with on iOS. Friends don’t try to persuade friends to switch phones. It’s a loosing proposition.

My 6s plus that work issued me is rarely used, has limited apps installed, and freezes up and lags to the point where. I have to shut it down. (Apple doesn't offer a restart option like google).... My pixel XL 1 I had for a year, I never had to restart it but anyway apples 'just work 😉"

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
If you say so I'm typing on the phone right now and I actually like the screen I'm looking at maybe something's wrong with me

Yes you won't notice it until you have something to compare it to. If you have looked at a recent samsung display, you will see how much it is actually lacking.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes you won't notice it until you have something to compare it to. If you have looked at a recent samsung display, you will see how much it is actually lacking.

I compared it to my S8+ -- when using them like normal (watching media head on) I see no issue. If I look from the bottom then yes I see a difference but.. it just isn't how I use my phone.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
I'm no Apple fan although I have a 7 because I'm a tech fan. But the face ID thing sounds annoying at times like being in a meeting or such where it's going to be obvious your're using your phone.
But my one gripe with the Pixel and I know I'm in the minority is the FP scan on the backside. I seldom carry my phone in my pants pocket, usually my shirt and at home it's flat on a table or desk so how is this covvenient? Also all cases have a hole in the back, DUH! I know. But loving the pixel and the iPhone 7 has been put in hyper sleep for a good long while. I hope I never have to pay over a grand for a phone ever!

There are downsides to both setups indeed. I set my home as a trusted place, so my phone remains unlocked while I am there unless I manually lock it. Makes home use really convenient.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I assume everyone knows that the screens on the iPhone X is produced by Samsung to the specs provided by Apple. They are not LG screens.

I thought everyone knew that. At the same time, it doesn't mean it couldn't also be having the same issues as LG's panel. Samsung made them according to Apple's design and spec. This is Apple's first OLED panel, it's quite possible that unfamiliarity with them is why they're having issues. LG, while having done OLED in the past, also doesn't have the experience that Samsung does with these panels. It could be just that simple, not enough experience.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There are downsides to both setups indeed. I set my home as a trusted place, so my phone remains unlocked while I am there unless I manually lock it. Makes home use really convenient.

The FPS doesn't really take that much more effort. It just boggles my mind that people can't be bothered to pick up their phones anymore. It's not like they weigh 10 pounds or anything.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, used the trusted place which works well except it would relock itself after 4 hours which made the assistant useless to me during the night. I'm currently using nothing.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Only reason it relocks itself is if you hit the power button at some point, you turn your GPS off, or your location can't be detected if you have it set to WiFi hit. Maybe you took a WiFi hit where it couldn't detect your location? Going into Google maps and hitting the GPS icon resolves it.

Didn't know that, interesting. I was putting it in sleep mode in order to turn the screen off after starting my white noise app. So if I let the screen time out by itself it won't be affected by the 4 hour limit then? If that's what I'm understanding. I'll that Tonite. Thanks.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
At my desk I use a magnetic stand to keep the phone upright so using the finger print scanner is simple. Also when picking up and holding phone the back FP scanner is fine.

However, last night, went out to eat a family birthday meal, phone was flat on table. To check some college scores real quick I had to pick up the phone to get to the finger print scanner making more obvious I was peeking at my phone during a fancy meal.

The best spot is the front bottom but with all screen putting it this is no longer possible. When tech advances enough, the finger print scanner will be back at the front bottom of phones unless everyone follows Apples lead and adds great facial recognition.

I guess a case with a built in kickstand would do the trick when eating out, but still I would need to do the old reach-around to touch the figure print scanner.

I have my sports apps set up to send me notifications. A quick double tap on the screen shows me the current notifications with scores. I can also tap the notification and enter my passcode if I want to open the phone. All without lifting to get to the fingerprint scanner on back. Works well for me if I don't want to lift the phone.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
The FPS doesn't really take that much more effort. It just boggles my mind that people can't be bothered to pick up their phones anymore. It's not like they weigh 10 pounds or anything.

It's good to have options. At home for example, I'd like to give my wife and/or kid access to my phone so having trusted place set made sense. Me personally, I use the FPS out of habit even when I am home. Saves the power button from wear too.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I have never heard of a 4 hour limit. I use smart unlock for the bluetooth in my vehicle and while at home. When bluetooth connects to the bluetooth in my truck, my phone will remain unlocked.

Smart unlock is tied into Google maps. If you're phone is locking, chances are your location was lost and you need to have Google maps lock back onto your location.

I normally leave my location setting in battery saver mode meaning it's using WiFi, not GPS to locate me.

I was using smart lock and trusted place set to keep it unlocked when at home. problem is after the 4 hours is reached it relocks and then the assistant won't wake up. I use the assistant in the middle of the night. Doesn't have anything to do with the GPS or WiFi. I think it's a back up system if the phone is not touched or moved for 4 hours it will relock as a precaution. I'm just leaving it unlocked at home.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
How do you surmise they are having issues? I haven't seen one reviewer throw on a pair of polarized sunglasses at all to test out the phones. But then again, tech reviewers don't have the same reach with the average consumer. Most consumers see the Verizon Pixel 2 commercials and order the phone. I don't want to listen to reviewers anymore. Would rather see customer reviews.

There are reports from both reviewers and owners about the blue color shift.

Add to that Apple's disclaimer that color shift is normal, and their advisory not to leave a static high contrast image on the screen for any notable amount of time and to keep the brightness low to combat "image persistence" or "burn-in". A company isn't going to put something like that out unless there's a good chance it either will happen or already has happened. That makes it look like the screen could have issues, which is a negative especially for someone contemplating the purchase of a $1000 smartphone.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Most apple people want to be led like sheep and told how to use their phone.
My wife has a 8 plus, my company gave me a 6s plus.
Neither has swayed me in the least from the Pixel XL and now Pixel 2 XL.
If they weren't so close minded, they would switch

I don't think it's so much being led by sheep so much as people are invested in that platform. It's hard when everything you use is either android or ios and to switch to the other one.