iPhone X

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
These threads remind me of why I stopped paying top dollar for smartphones. Because even the reigning champs of a solid smartphone are asking you for $1000+ for imperfect semi-troublesome electronics. Smartphones are literally the only electronic device I have ever purchased among appliances, HDTV's, etc that ask me to pay such high prices for such a poor reliability track record. So um... no thanks I'm not playing by your rules Samsung, Apple, whoever. 2 days ago I got a regular Pixel 2 for $180 on a 2 year contract. That's fair, glitches and all as far as I'm concerned. When Google/Samsung/Apple try to ask me for $500-$800 on contract for hardware that's all over tech news for issues, that's where I start to say no thanks. I'm sure any homeowner would agree that knocking a smartphone off of your list of annoyances to pay for addressing is sound logic.
You're paying via your contract. Maybe not up front but if you think you're just getting that price to agree to 2 years for nothing... You're mistaken.

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
If I send my friend who has the 6s plus pictures through gmail she cannot see them. If I send them through stock LG email she can. Been to iStores. Nobody can help nor explain it. Their solution? I should buy an iPhone too so. I could send her pics more easily.

Whatever the issue I guarantee the problem is not on the iPhone side. As long as she is using Apple mail or gmail the problem is at the senders side.

JaneGL

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
You're paying via your contract. Maybe not up front but if you think you're just getting that price to agree to 2 years for nothing... You're mistaken.

I realize that, what I meant by it was that I'm much more inclined to pay the lower overall price of the Pixel 2 over the others, given my opinion of smartphone manufacturers' quality control in general. What's the average price difference between them, about $500+? To me that just means I'll be $500+ less annoyed when issues start happening ;)

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but you don't exactly feel the total cost. You only feel the reduced price. For example, my sister just recontracted to get an iPhone 8. If she didn't recontract, she'll be paying 35USD monthly even if she doesn't get a new phone. Our carrier is asking her for about 350USD to be paid off in 24mos on top of her contract for the iPhone 8. So basically, her pockets only feel an additional 350USD cost, and not a full 700USD for getting an iPhone8.

This for me is the only reason I'm getting flagship phones, because I only pay half to my carrier of the phone's asking price unlocked. And since I'm in Asia, the Samsung units are dual sim and the second sim is unlocked. So basically I don't have any real reason to just buy outright anymore. It's cheaper to stay with a carrier. If people asked me to pay full price for any flagship phone now, I'd rather not and go for a mid ranger.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but you don't exactly feel the total cost. You only feel the reduced price. For example, my sister just recontracted to get an iPhone 8. If she didn't recontract, she'll be paying 35USD monthly even if she doesn't get a new phone. Our carrier is asking her for about 350USD to be paid off in 24mos on top of her contract for the iPhone 8. So basically, her pockets only feel an additional 350USD cost, and not a full 700USD for getting an iPhone8.

This for me is the only reason I'm getting flagship phones, because I only pay half to my carrier of the phone's asking price unlocked. And since I'm in Asia, the Samsung units are dual sim and the second sim is unlocked. So basically I don't have any real reason to just buy outright anymore. It's cheaper to stay with a carrier. If people asked me to pay full price for any flagship phone now, I'd rather not and go for a mid ranger.

I would still feel it. I am not a person that ignores other factors and looks at the big letters that says "Sale! Discount! Only this much!" if I know I am paying for it elsewhere (such as in the contract) then it isn't really a "deal" for me.

Also most people in the US do payment plans so if you go off the "feeling it" part it isn't that bad. An extra $30-40 to your phone bill isn't that drastic if you want to finance the phone.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I would still feel it. I am not a person that ignores other factors and looks at the big letters that says "Sale! Discount! Only this much!" if I know I am paying for it elsewhere (such as in the contract) then it isn't really a "deal" for me.

Also most people in the US do payment plans so if you go off the "feeling it" part it isn't that bad. An extra $30-40 to your phone bill isn't that drastic if you want to finance the phone.
The point being, the contract for the phone line is the same whether or not I get the phone or not. My contract is 30USD for call/text/data + phone price on 24mo installment. After I pay for the phone, it's still 30USD a mo if I get a phone or not. If I get one, like for example when I got my S7Edge last year, it's 30USD+20USD/mo for the phone and contract.

So in that scenario, it's actually more financially reasonable for me to get the phone on a contract because its a total of 50x24=1200USD over 2 years, compared to buying a phone outright to pair with my 30USD plan, which goes to 30x24 = 720USD + 850USD (price of S7E at April 2016) = 1570USD for the same time period.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The point being, the contract for the phone line is the same whether or not I get the phone or not. My contract is 30USD for call/text/data + phone price on 24mo installment. After I pay for the phone, it's still 30USD a mo if I get a phone or not. If I get one, like for example when I got my S7Edge last year, it's 30USD+20USD/mo for the phone and contract.

So in that scenario, it's actually more financially reasonable for me to get the phone on a contract because its a total of 50x24=1200USD over 2 years, compared to buying a phone outright to pair with my 30USD plan, which goes to 30x24 = 720USD + 850USD (price of S7E at April 2016) = 1570USD for the same time period.

Oh I am sure it is different outside the states. In the states contracts never really "saved" you money. Maybe up front but somewhere in there you were paying for it.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Anyone check the business insider article about the 6 reasons the iPhone X is better than the Pixel 2?.. Subjective to the max.

Yeah I saw that last night. One of them being wireless charging. All of the sudden it's a must have feature now that it's available on the iPhone.

I notice many sites ding the Pixel 2 for not having earbuds included in the box like the iPhone does, yet no one mentions that the Pixel 2 has fast charging included and doesn't make you spend money on another charger like Apple does to make that happen. Of the 2 features, I think the faster charging would get used by a wider audience than the earbuds would. And the earbuds (the lower quality kind that usually get included with a phone) would be cheaper to buy than a charger would be.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I saw that last night. One of them being wireless charging. All of the sudden it's a must have feature now that it's available on the iPhone.

I notice many sites ding the Pixel 2 for not having earbuds included in the box like the iPhone does, yet no one mentions that the Pixel 2 has fast charging included and doesn't make you spend money on another charger like Apple does to make that happen. Of the 2 features, I think the faster charging would get used by a wider audience than the earbuds would. And the earbuds (the lower quality kind that usually get included with a phone) would be cheaper to buy than a charger would be.
Yeah it's hilarious. No one cared about the iPhone not having wireless charging until they had it.

The article was super subjective, almost every issue was the writers' opinion which could go either way depending who writes it.

phelme

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
The middle sections of the comparison aren't too bad, but the beginning about the displays is flat out ridiculous, and the conclusion is way over the top.

Interesting though, if you watch/listen to the latest MacWorld podcast, he said he gave up the iPhone X to his wife at the end of the review period, because he spends much of his year reviewing Android phones.

But the podcast is overall your typical Apple tongue-bath.

Arsenio Martins

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
So I realized I had an old iPhone 6s sitting in a drawer. TMO is running a promo where I could trade it in and get $300 for it. Given the regular trade in value is a couple of hundred I figured why not hedge against depreciation on my S8+ which is only worth $300 trade in. Luckily they didn't have any in stock.

I get drawn in by new tech. As I played with the X I just started thinking how I can't ask Siri to play Spotify or Pandora, can't ask it complicated questions, can't download an audiobook file and play it in any app, can't download a separate sms app etc etc. Within 2 minutes I lost any appeal that the hardware had.

Now I just have to weigh the pros and cons of getting an XL 2 or keeping the S8+.