Iris vs fps, am I missing something?

joemontana57

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
The fps unlocks the phone almost instantly.
I've tried the Iris scanner a few times. It seems like I have to swipe the lock screen for the eye targets to come up. Even when they do come up, it's not terribly accurate.

I guess my question is: since the fps unlocks the phone so fast, why would I want to use the Iris scanner?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can set up the phone to immediately start scanning your eyes after the screen is turned on (but yes, you still have to press the button to trigger it, just 'skip' the swipe or tap on top screen). Iris is generally more secure than FPS, if not faster since it requires the right lighting conditions and eye angle. Plus, wearing glasses or contact lenses might interfere. Any IR sources (sunlight, remote controls) also interfere with the scanner. And, of course, the Iris scanner is on the front, which is easier for some.

You can also activate the Smart Unlock function (or whatever it's called) to use both Face and Iris recognition in case one goes wrong because of lighting conditions.

joemontana57

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, but I'll stick with the fps for now. Face unlock security (or lack thereof) doesn't interest me, and it sounds like there's too much to do to prepare for Iris scanning.

I just pull the phone out of my pocket, finger resting naturally on the fps, by the time it clears my pocket it's unlocked. 😀

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Marketing more IMO. They need something new to get sales going.

I've never been a fan of the Iris Scanner because I wear glasses and/or I'm Filipino where my eyes aren't opened. LOL

I mean I tried it again after reading this and PITA.

Face Recognition works.

KP8819

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
I've never been a fan of the Iris Scanner because I wear glasses and/or I'm Filipino where my eyes aren't opened. LOL

I mean I tried it again after reading this and PITA.

Face Recognition works.

lol Face recognition works but so does iris scanner - I'm Korean so I have to open my eyes real wide ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinrshay1984