Is 32GB eneough? Help me understand.

ClusterPuck

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I have been waiting for this phone to come out to decide what I want to replace my 16GB Moto X and lately my life has been If I need an app, I need to delete an app.

Looking at my phone it only shows that 10.33GB of storage, so I am assuming that missing 6GB is being used by VZW and the OS? I have moved basically all my photos and vidoes to google photos to clear up space and basically have 7.4GB allocated to app date and media content.

My concern is if keep this phone 2-3 years am I going to be running into the same problem with space? Crunching numbers I think 32GB would work, but I don't know how much of that is really going to be mine and what will OS/Security updates take?

Any thoughts would be appreciative on what is the best way to look at this. It sounds crazy to pay and extra $100 for the extra storage, but to me it would be worse to spend $700 on a phone that I run out of storage on.

Part of this discussion is that all 128GB modesl our out of stock so do I wait or just order the 32GB now?

chiweed

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Wish there was a 64Gb option.
I'd wait for the 128Gb to show back up.
While you would get the phone faster you would be kicking yourself when you run out of space.
Just my opinion.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Depends what you are putting on the phone, you are getting free unlimited storage for pictures/videos so that will not be saved on the device. How many games, apps, songs, etc are you going to have?

I think I read the phone has a little over 24GB free after OS and standard apps are all updated.

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
128 GB here lets be future proof. I have Music app, several big games and occasionally use as my phone at storage for miscellaneous

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I was debating between 32 and 128 but after the Google announcement I went with 32..

Google is offering free and unlimited storage at full resolution for all your photos and videos. That can, will, should or might save most people a TON of space.. If you are getting by with 16GB now then a 32 should be fine with the added Google storage bonus..

I am still rocking my 32GB Nexus 5 and still have plenty of space. I do have a TB of Google drive though so I keep most stuff in the cloud..

Future proofing a phone is really meaningless these days since we rarely keep them longer than a year or two,, If you plan on keeping it for 4 or 5 years then maybe the 128 is best for that future proofing option..

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
If you make more use of the cloud you'll be fine. I understand data use is more expensive across the Atlantic but if you have enough bandwidth you can cloud store most things these days. I have a 16Gb Nexus 5X at the moment and rarely have space problems as I keep all my photos, music, video, et cetera off the phone and in the cloud. IMHO, a 128Gb phone is for the lazy. ;)

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a 32gb phone currently with 25ish GB available to me

I don't game too much on my phone, I have Candy Crush and Poker that's it

I have 4gb of music, 3gb of movies and the rest comes up as "Apps" (usually a cache clean gives me back 1gb-2gb)

I currently have 10gb free to use. I don't keep more then 100 pics on my phone I usually back them up and start fresh every month

If you Game (which you should cause SD821 chip set) and download a lot of apps I would get more storage, unless your usage is like mine and your OK with 10gb free I'd get more storage

Don Chill

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Quite disappointing that there's no 64GB option. I think 32GB is small if you take into account that there's no slot for a Micro SD card.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Quite disappointing that there's no 64GB option. I think 32GB is small if you take into account that there's no slot for a Micro SD card.

The cloud replaces the need for an SD card for most if they don't mind spending a few seconds managing it...

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I have a Pixel LS as well.. Also had the OG LTE Pixel.. Best computers on the planet earth = Love em!!!!!!!!!!!

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I have been waiting for this phone to come out to decide what I want to replace my 16GB Moto X and lately my life has been If I need an app, I need to delete an app.

Looking at my phone it only shows that 10.33GB of storage, so I am assuming that missing 6GB is being used by VZW and the OS? I have moved basically all my photos and vidoes to google photos to clear up space and basically have 7.4GB allocated to app date and media content.

My concern is if keep this phone 2-3 years am I going to be running into the same problem with space? Crunching numbers I think 32GB would work, but I don't know how much of that is really going to be mine and what will OS/Security updates take?

Any thoughts would be appreciative on what is the best way to look at this. It sounds crazy to pay and extra $100 for the extra storage, but to me it would be worse to spend $700 on a phone that I run out of storage on.

Part of this discussion is that all 128GB modesl our out of stock so do I wait or just order the 32GB now?

I think it all boiled down what type of user you are:-

1) If you are just a casual user who like to chit chat and browse the internet, I believe even 16GB would be more than enough for you.

2) If you are moderate user who like to listen to downloaded song, playing casual game and capture photos, well 32GB would good enough for you.

3) If you are hardcore user who like to download tons of movies, playing hardcore games, thousand of music loaded in your phone and basically every hardcore like a metal, then just get a 128GB Pixel.

Octo Man

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I have a 32gb Nexus 5X and I feel a little constrained at times. I usually have about 9gb free. I keep some music on device through Google Play and I use Google Photos to keep the device relatively clear of photos. You can survive on 32gb, but wish I would have had at least a 64gb device.

alphabetkid98

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
For me it's enough, but I don't take a risk. If there was a 64 GB model, I'd get it instead of the 128 GB model which is more expensive, but there isn't a 64 GB model, so I'm getting the 128 GB model.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You mean they were OOS. Just got an email that they're back in. By the way, are they shipping immediately? Or the end of the month?

alirezafarmad

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
No, 32GB is not enough. Even if you're just taking photos, you will easily run out of space. To be honest the smaller size is always a bait for the bigger one, but you have no choice. Definitely go with the bigger one which is 128GB, no brainer.

capitaltpt

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
No, 32GB is not enough. Even if you're just taking photos, you will easily run out of space. To be honest the smaller size is always a bait for the bigger one, but you have no choice. Definitely go with the bigger one which is 128GB, no brainer.

I agree. While cloud storage is fine and dandy, what happens when you want music or photos in areas where you have limited or no data connection?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali