Is it true LTE functions will only work with Samsung phones?

steve cooper

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm surprised I haven't seen more about it online, but one article pointed out that the LTE functions only work with a Samsung phone. Does that mean I would NOT get number share to work with my Pixel?

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm pretty sure the number share/ digits is done on the sim level so it shouldn't really matter what phone you have. Granted I've always had a Samsung phone with my gear s3 and galaxy watch.

codyfred85

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm it does not work with the T-Mobile LTE Galaxy Watch. Bluetooth works fine but what's the point of buying a carrier version if that's the case? The Gear S3 would work on any Android or IOS device. You'd just just need to download the app to adjust functions.

I'm going to return mine and wait for the new watches next month.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Lte is independent of phone maker and up to support of the carrier, if you have the lte version just treat it as a separate device

alians07

Aug 16, 2018
Visit site
I can confirm it does not work with the T-Mobile LTE Galaxy Watch. Bluetooth works fine but what's the point of buying a carrier version if that's the case? The Gear S3 would work on any Android or IOS device. You'd just just need to download the app to adjust functions.

I'm going to return mine and wait for the new watches next month.

New watches? you mean newer versions of Galaxy watch?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Number share with TMO may be Samsung only, LTE never has been. I'm getting LTE fine on a Pixel 2 on a TMO MVNO (Mint Mobile).

piufhs

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Unfortunately, the samsung official website for the Galaxy Watch (www.samsung.com/us/explore/galaxy-watch/) says:
"Standalone voice calling on LTE version requires initial pairing with eligible Samsung Galaxy device and separate qualifying wireless plan"
Instead, the samsung official website for the Gear S3 (www.samsung.com/us/explore/gear-s3/) says:
"4G LTE standalone connectivity available on Samsung Gear S3 4G LTE models, a companion for compatible Android smartphones, sold separately. Standalone connectivity requires initial pairing of Gear S3 with compatible phone and separate qualifying wireless plan."

Maybe, its a initial homologation, and it works on other smartphones, but they don't want to make it official. I think we will only know when we can test it.

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I guess I don't understand what this problem means. Does it mean if you don't have a Samsung phone and somebody calls your cell number while the two devices aren't connected via bluetooth, the watch won't ring?

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
It didn't for me. I don't have digits yet. I can call my GW directly with its assigned phone# though. I haven't setup any call forwarding as an alternative. But I'm not sure if that will work nor if I can even set that up.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
So I wish I saw this post before wasting 3 hours of my day and $50 restocking fee! I can attest that the new Samsung Galaxy watch WILL NOT connect to the T-Mobile network without using a Samsung phone. this is despite both T-Mobile and Samsung's websites saying that it is "Android compatible."

kc0olm

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
It does work. See my other post on this forum.

Basically,

1) You need to set the watch up initially using a T Mobile phone. The software installer is crap, so you MUST get past the (cell) network discovery step, to download the eSIM profile to the watch
2) When the setup is complete, on the watch, go to Connect to New Phone
3) A bit scary, because it will say resetting.
4) Download the Galaxy Watch app on your desired phone.
5) After set up, everything works! You get calls, messages, everything from you desired phone. When you call from the watch, the caller number is your desired phone. When you disconnect from the phone, or set the watch to always on network, it runs off T Mobile.

But you have to get a T mobile phone, or go to T mobile and talk them into letting you borrow one.

Bad deal, Samsung!

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a T-MOBILE Note 8. When I call from the watch on LTE, it shows my watch's cell number. So if this is the case, what is digits for in this scenario?

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site

Basically,

1) You need to set the watch up initially using a T Mobile phone. The software installer is crap, so you MUST get past the (cell) network discovery step, to download the eSIM profile to the watch
5) After set up, everything works! You get calls, messages, everything from you desired phone. When you call from the watch, the caller number is your desired phone. When you disconnect from the phone, or set the watch to always on network, it runs off T Mobile.

But you have to get a T mobile phone, or go to T mobile and talk them into letting you borrow one.

Bad deal, Samsung!

So you're saying that I can use a non samsung phone and still get the LTE radio to work? Do I still need to initially use a Samsung phone for the initial pairing then add a second non Samsung phone to the watch? I understand that the phones must be TMobile, but as I also understand it... you MUST pair the Galaxy Watch with a Samsung phones for the cellular radio to initially activate.

Last edited:

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I have a T-MOBILE Note 8. When I call from the watch on LTE, it shows my watch's cell number. So if this is the case, what is digits for in this scenario?

Digits lets the watch have same number as the phone. Both ring when # called. You still have the watch# assigned but it no longer is used for anything other than show on bill. lol

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Make sure you have a "Data with shared digits" plan and not just Digits. Its specific to wearables. I had the same problem till I called TMO and the problem was solved.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Make sure you have a "Data with shared digits" plan and not just Digits. Its specific to wearables. I had the same problem till I called TMO and the problem was solved.

Thanks..when I got at t-mobile retail he set it all up. How much do you pay for data? In store it was $15 but since auto it is $10. When I tried to order online it was $25 for data for wearable. What was difference?

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks..when I got at t-mobile retail he set it all up. How much do you pay for data? In store it was $15 but since auto it is $10. When I tried to order online it was $25 for data for wearable. What was difference?

I have the Military One plan. Not sure if it makes a difference but I pay 10 bux extra/mo for it. Did it over the phone because the store set me up wrong. Gave my watch a separate number but I specifically wanted the same number for both phone and watch. Apparently, they had to transfer me over to a specialized DIGITS department when I called. Hope this answered your question. If not, please clarify.

Guitar_Jesus

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Basically,

Bad deal, Samsung!

Here's the question, does it matter which wearable plan you have? And when you activate the watch on Tmobile, do you have to call in to CS for anything? Or is it all handled on the Galaxy Wearable app?