Is KitKat working well for anybody?

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Serious question, not sarcasm. I'm seeing so many complaints of serious malfunction that I'm wondering if KitKat working well for anybody?

I'm with Ting, not Sprint. My new S4 Tri-Band from Ting arrived by FedEx yesterday. Setup went well, and the device is very nice. A 401.2 MB update is asking to install. I can't tell if it is the L720TVPUBNC6 update dated 04/09/2014, or the L720TVPUBNAF update dated 02/20/2014.

Two things that apply to Ting, but not Sprint: If the update hoses the phone, I can't just drop by any Sprint store and get a new one. I'd have to ship it back to Ting and then wait for the replacement or repaired phone to come back. I don't want to have to do that. Second, the new Wi-Fi calling won't work with Ting so even though that would be a very big improvement for Ting users, it is no reason for me to upgrade to L720TVPUBNC6.

So, should I upgrade to KitKat or not? If not, how can I get the S4 to dismiss the update?

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Note: I tried to edit rather than reply to myself. But edit wasn't working.

I have decided to stick with JB. I have turned off updates.

- - - Updated - - -

Note: I tried to edit rather than reply to myself. But edit wasn't working.

I have decided to stick with JB. I have turned off updates.

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi I understand your apprehension but the update should take your device to 4.4.2. I work with these phones every day and have yet to see the update hose a phone. I strongly recommend that everyone do updates since they contain bug fixes as well as updates from Samsung. It's probably the same update the sprint version just recently got. If you have a Spark enabled device the update has fixes for the radio which you will need. This is just food for thought do what you think is best but updates from Sammy are good things!

You can always do a factory reset and then update if your that worried
Good Luck :D

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I say yes but need to factory reset after and start new. Tri-band is having trouble s check the bands and make sure that they are on and working. Good luck

Posted via Android Central App

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
The phone is working great so KitKat would do nothing good for me. It would take away write access to my MicroSD card. I have installed flash (I want flash for exactly one thing, and that is a weather radar site that I like), and it would kill that.
The one thing that the latest update would do that I would very much like, is the built in Wi-Fi calling. I don't want to use Google Voice. But as luck would have it, the new Sprint Wi-Fi calling won't work on Ting. So, after careful consideration, I have little to gain and quite a bit to lose by installing KitKat.

- - - Updated - - -

The phone is working great so KitKat would do nothing good for me. It would take away write access to my MicroSD card. I have installed flash (I want flash for exactly one thing, and that is a weather radar site that I like), and it would kill that.
The one thing that the latest update would do that I would very much like, is the built in Wi-Fi calling. I don't want to use Google Voice. But as luck would have it, the new Sprint Wi-Fi calling won't work on Ting. So, after careful consideration, I have little to gain and quite a bit to lose by installing KitKat.

iinsaayn

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The latest update to kit kat seems to have caused s voice wake up from the lock screen to cease working on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. ..used to work perfectly well...yes, I have checked all the settings...no, nothing makes it work. S voice works if I manually open it or have it in hands free mode but not the wake up function...seems like my phone has gone deaf! :)

djdonnyk

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Works better than last update in my opinion, no problems here. Better battery life and quicker response times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymousaga