Is Samsung starting to deploy cross-carrier (google) RCS on Samsung Messages?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What is so awesome about iMessage other than the fact that everyone with an iPhone is on it, and therefore you have the population? You have more functionality and choice if you used WhatsApp, Line, or even Kakao, to be honest. My second phone is an iPhone XS Max and I don't get the appeal other than the whole green vs blue is some sort of status symbol - really one created in the minds of iPhone users. I can't modify the look of it. I can't change the notification sound, I can't mute a group conversation - I can't even look at all the media that has been posted to the group chat. So, to be honest - when I hear about how great iMessage is - I don't see it outside of the fact is that they have the number of users.

The population is what makes iMessage great. And that really makes it a US-centric thing. If I'm not mistaken, iPhone has larger market share in the US compared to Android.

Weird though - I can mute an iMessage conversation by hiding alerts and I can see all of the media (like photos, videos, links, and attachments) in the Info section of an iMessage thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
What is so awesome about iMessage other than the fact that everyone with an iPhone is on it, and therefore you have the population? You have more functionality and choice if you used WhatsApp, Line, or even Kakao, to be honest. My second phone is an iPhone XS Max and I don't get the appeal other than the whole green vs blue is some sort of status symbol - really one created in the minds of iPhone users. I can't modify the look of it. I can't change the notification sound, I can't mute a group conversation - I can't even look at all the media that has been posted to the group chat. So, to be honest - when I hear about how great iMessage is - I don't see it outside of the fact is that they have the number of users.

I don't want to go off on a tangent but this whole whether or not Apple will permit RCS grates me to no end. Now, they certainly don't have to as it will step on their iMessage toes, and this is the price we all pay when the carriers signed contracts with Apple where the carriers have little ability to implement anything on the iPhone, including something like RCS. But even if Apple said they would consider it, I would never hold my breath. They've "joined" in on industry consortiums before only to end up not supporting what they agreed for. The micro-usb standard for charging and data was once agreed upon by the industry leaders to be the standard interface for smartphones and Apple was part of this, but they never adopted it and went off with their own port, and then lightning. They did the same thing to something else that i can't remember. A lot of the fragmentation that exists today is because of Apple and perhaps now some of it's coming to and end with USB C and thunderbolt.
From what I remember on iMessage, it was nothing to get all excited about, you're right, WhatsApp was just as good, if not better, but Apple wasn't endorsing it. Apple can add something to their phones that has been around on other phones for 4 years or more, call it new and their fan base think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, they say it's perfected, lol.

Apple has the largest share mainly because of kids. Back in the day, kids started with iPods, Apple came out with the first iPhone that was basically a iPod that was a phone also. Far as I'm concerned, that's the last time Apple was the first with technology, I know I'll get flack for that statement. They have been followers on technology for awhile now. Anyway, back on topic, those kids with the first iPods, then first iPhones started having kids, and history repeats itself and parents start getting iPhone because that's all they know, their kids have them and how many times do we see kids explaining technology to older people, so parents get what the kids have so that have built in tech support.. Apple marketed to the kids at early age and majority just stay with what they know. And that's why iMessage is the greatest thing ever... And you're correct, Apple will never join RCS, not until it costs them money from lost users going to Android for it. In apples eyes, RCS won't ever be as good as iMessage.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't see the the big benefit for RCS. Guess what I do see is the ability to send video, and even uncompressed pictures, but that part isn't a huge deal for most.

If RCS isn't set up to be universal no matter what texting app you're using, it's no different then WhatsApp IMO. It won't matter much if it's going to be dependent on both users having to use the same texting app. Is RCS suppose to eventually be universal, or is it going to be dependent on using the same text app?

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Verizon.. No Chat Setting in Samsung messages.

Until Verizon utilizes the Jibe Universal RCS profile on their network I don't see the Messages app getting this feature on Verizon. My wife and I use the Verizon Message+ app since it has Verizon's version of RCS, but I cannot chat with someone using Android Messages.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
How do you know?
Do you understand what AFAIK means? He could know absolutely nothing about the subject, but that would still be completely correct. AFAIK, there's no word for 'steam' in High Martian. (And there's not a single person in the world who can prove me wrong. Unless someone can read my mind.)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you understand what AFAIK means? He could know absolutely nothing about the subject, but that would still be completely correct. AFAIK, there's no word for 'steam' in High Martian. (And there's not a single person in the world who can prove me wrong. Unless someone can read my mind.)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Nobody has explicitly said that CCMI isn't including end-to-end encryption, so everybody is taking that as no or won't be. In other words, everybody is ASSUMING that it won't have end-to-end encryption. I never said the CCMI will include it. I said that they MAY address it.

They don't need Apple's buy in to do it. That's the part people don't understand.

https://www.androidauthority.com/cross-carrier-messaging-initiative-1046261/

"However, the announcement is vague on one of the most important aspects of RCS messaging: privacy. The word “encryption” doesn’t appear anywhere in the release, but it does say that it will “enable an enhanced experience to privately send individual or group chats across carriers with high-quality pictures and videos.” I guess the word “privately” is a good sign?"

They “may” address it.

There is no evidence (yet) to say that they absolutely will (or won't).

Not sure what this internet fight is about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kiyas123

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
The RCS isn't huge in favour here in the US either so on. I have over 70 text chats going on, and last time I checked I only saw 2 with chat features, and I guarantee they don't even know they have it. I don't think most people notice or even care.
That's the plan still have all my teeth

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The RCS isn't huge in favour here in the US either so on. I have over 70 text chats going on, and last time I checked I only saw 2 with chat features, and I guarantee they don't even know they have it. I don't think most people notice or even care.

And none of those 70 message threads involve iPhone users?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you. That's why I said if RCS isn't made available across the board for all texting apps, if it's dependent on both sides using the same app, RCS isn't going anywhere.

I've found iPhone users that didn't know what iMessage is either. They just want to text, they don't care about behind the scenes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itay85