Is Support for the Android Pro12 Tablet still available?

Birdzzz

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
Bought this Tablet a couple years back for College. Worked well for that, more or less. For the price, I guess I can't complain. Pulled it out of a drawer after a couple of years and, no surprise, it had difficulty charging. Took like 20 hours to get to 100%, I did a factory reset on it, expected to be able to go in, re-update all my software, firmware, ect. - Went to Settings, About Tablet, Firmware Update, Check for updates .... Nothing. Doesnt attempt to update nothing. - Secondly, the Protwelve website app link that comes with the original software, the link leads to a domain thats for sale... leading me to believe there is no longer support for this product, or the database that my Firmware update would come from is no longer avaiable. - I dont plan on using this thing for anything more than sitting in bed watching goofing off on mobile games while I watch TV but... I can't seem to download anything from the playstore. Basically everything I want to play is uncompatable with my version, but I can't update the version due to everything I just described above... so I'm wondering if this thing will even fit my needs anymore. Anyway. Thanks for any replies I get.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome.

When you say you cannot download from the Play Store, do you mean nothing at all? I have an old Android 6 device myself, which nevertheless remains usable, given my own choice of apps.

No device shipping with Android 6 would be supported now, but end of support does not necessarily mean end of usability.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's not unusual for no-name or off-brand devices (typically direct from China) to have no support whatsoever, and it's also not surprising for the company's website to be defunct after this amount of time. Even if the company were still around, there's usually zero chance that these devices get any official updates. Your tablet is mostly a paperweight at this point.

In the future, avoid these kinds of "deals", and go with a tablet from a company with a better reputation for updates. At this time, that's pretty much only Samsung, although Google should be releasing the Pixel Tablet some time next year -- once that's out, it will most likely be the tablet I'd recommend.

Birdzzz

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
Welcome.

When you say you cannot download from the Play Store, do you mean nothing at all? I have an old Android 6 device myself, which nevertheless remains usable, given my own choice of apps.

No device shipping with Android 6 would be supported now, but end of support does not necessarily mean end of usability.

When I find an app that's compatible with my device, once I select install, it just sits on Pending and doesn't proceed forward with the install at all.

Birdzzz

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
Yeah, that checks out. Used it for a table for my coffee in bed this morning. So, it has some uses lol. But it would be nice to be able to update the OS to make it more compatible with modern apps. I checked a few websites for maybe a 2021 firmware update for it but, every site I found, I really couldn't bring myself to trust. Mostly based on the amount of clickbait ads on the trying to get you to "DOWNLOAD NOW" .. but if you have a trusted site where you can get firmware, I would appreciate it.
Also wondering if I can Uninstall the OS, load a different os onto a thumb drive and install a more modern OS to it from boot..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A lot of apps should still be compatible with Android 6.0. This is the Play Store app you're using, and not the Play Store website in the browser, right?

The only way to install a higher Android version on a device that's no longer getting official updates from the manufacturer would be to hope someone developed a custom ROM for that specific device (which would require rooting it as well). Unfortunately, it's usually very unlikely that anyone would develop for a no-name device -- it's more likely with better known manufacturers like Samsung and Lenovo.

Birdzzz

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
A lot of apps should still be compatible with Android 6.0. This is the Play Store app you're using, and not the Play Store website in the browser, right?

The only way to install a higher Android version on a device that's no longer getting official updates from the manufacturer would be to hope someone developed a custom ROM for that specific device (which would require rooting it as well). Unfortunately, it's usually very unlikely that anyone would develop for a no-name device -- it's more likely with better known manufacturers like Samsung and Lenovo.

Gotcha. I only spent like, 150 bucks on it or whatever so its served its purpose, and I super doubt anyone 'loved' this tablet enough to develop a custom ROM for it.
As far as the playstore goes, it only has one option for it, and its the App, not the web based store. Even the app itself needs updating and, it doesn't seem to want to, tends to just sit on pending as well.. which might mean a deeper problem in the software than I quite honestly want to take the time to resolve.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
When I find an app that's compatible with my device, once I select install, it just sits on Pending and doesn't proceed forward with the install at all.
If rebooting doesn't fix that, it may be worth clearing data for the Play Store app, and for the Downloads Manager and Google Services Framework system apps.

Sent from my CPH1921 using AC Forums mobile app

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
https://www.amazon.com/Touchscreen-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU7111792

You need to reset your expectations about upgrading this tablet to a newer version of Android. It's not going to happen.
With Android devices, all the operating system upgrades are completely dependent on the manufacturer of each device. If the manufacturer of your Pro12 tablet doesn't release an version upgrade for it, you have to accept that whatever version it is running is the one you have to live with. It's a mistaken assumption that upgrading an Android device is the same process as upgrading a Windows PC. There is no such thing as a generic, works with any Android device version of Android (.... well there is, if you have some serious coding/development skills and knowledge on how to create working firmware. But for a typical consumer, that's not a reality.).
If you want a tablet running a new or newer version of Android, you'll need to buy one that's new or newer. And be sure to research if the manufacturer will be providing monthly security updates and annual version upgrades to that model on a long term basis. It varies widely as some do and most do not or on a very limited time frame.