Is the multitasking a big issue?

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
i am considering buying the HOX, but from what i am hearing/seeing, the multitasking issue is troublesome, and HTC is stating that it is working as intended.

do you all find that it actually gets in the way of your use of the phone?

do you think that a firmware update/patch will come out to fix it?

is there an alternate way to multitask to skirt the issue altogether?

sorry for the many questions, but i am not seeing them be answered in the other threads :(

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
i have no issues with it. I don't use use a lot. It works good enough for me. I don't think any update will fix it. If you are a heavy user then it might bother you. The only thing that it does is when you go back to a page it refreshes it as to just keeping at the same spot. I think the phone is so good that it doesn't bother me that it doesn't work the way it should. You can also root and install a stock android rom and that should take care of the issue. You either hate it or you like it it. Most people seen to hate it enough to get rid of the phone. Me all the positives of the phone out way the few negative aspects of the phone. Multitasking is way down on the list of things I want my phone to do. As long as i can play Pandora and do other things at the same time is all the multitasking I need and it works very well for me. Best thing to do is go to the store and play with it. Open some apps and go to some websites then go back and see how it all works. Some people just can't deal with it and so they get rid of a really good phone. Me it takes alot more then that for me to get rid of a phone. The phone has some issues that will get fixed with an update for sure. You just need to decide what's important to you.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
thank you so much for your advice. i will go and check one out.

sorry that i didn't mention it before, but i am coming from an iphone 4, and this will be my first foray into android territory :)

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Glad that you decided to try out android. Its a good phone. But try out others as well. As I said multitasking is not the best on this phone but its still works.

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
thank you so much for your advice. i will go and check one out.

sorry that i didn't mention it before, but i am coming from an iphone 4, and this will be my first foray into android territory :)

If you are coming from an iphone you probably won't notice how truly terrible the One X is at multitasking. It actually multitasks worse than any high end android phone in almost two years. I'm back on my Vivid right now as I wait to check out the GSIII.

DrDoppio

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
If you are coming from an iphone you probably won't notice how truly terrible the One X is at multitasking. It actually multitasks worse than any high end android phone in almost two years. I'm back on my Vivid right now as I wait to check out the GSIII.

Isn't multitasking a feature of the OS rather than the phone? A multicore phone with ICS terrible at multitasking, sorry but I just don't believe you. What examples can you give to support your claim?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Isn't multitasking a feature of the OS rather than the phone? A multicore phone with ICS terrible at multitasking, sorry but I just don't believe you. What examples can you give to support your claim?

He's right....it could be a lot better. HTC changed the minfree settings.

It doesn't personally bother me, but it's a deal breaker for some.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
It's annoying. But I deal with it. Love this phone too much. And I promise either HTC or the devs at xda will figure it out to make it better. It really is bad though. I can't play a game and then go to a text or load the internet without it reloading the game. Really sucks. But in time it will be resolved.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

DrDoppio

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
He's right....it could be a lot better. HTC changed the minfree settings. ...

Ok, so the phone has 1GB of RAM, just how badly did HTC have to screw up the MinFree settings to make this a deal breaker? Surely it has more liberal settings than phones running with 512 MB RAM?

It's annoying. But I deal with it. Love this phone too much. And I promise either HTC or the devs at xda will figure it out to make it better. It really is bad though. I can't play a game and then go to a text or load the internet without it reloading the game. Really sucks. But in time it will be resolved. ..

Reloading the game - how? Does it start by itself when you start the browser? Is that a memory managment problem or a more serious bug? Just trying to understand...

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Its been good for me! I have also heard if you change some of the default apps you can fix this issue too. (Like the web browser?)

Enjoy the One X! Its a great device!

Last edited:

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
He's right....it could be a lot better. HTC changed the minfree settings.

It doesn't personally bother me, but it's a deal breaker for some.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Mine was rooted and I had minfree on mine. Problem was that there simple is not enough RAM available on this phone for it to work properly. I was able to get it working but if I ran into a flash heavy Web Page the phone would freeze up. Something is not right with available memory on the HOX. When it is first booted up it didn't even have 300MB available. If you want to test this out go to droidlife and click on the link about ICS on the Razor. If you are running flash watch what happens to the One X and what it has to do to keep working. In my opinion the Vivid that I'm using now actually does android better.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

Early reports are the sgs3 will have the same kind of "broken" multitasking.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
There's a link to a youtube video in the S3 forum showing that multitasking works perfectly. Also several other people who have used it have confirmed multitasking works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Android Central Forums

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
OK sg3s multitasking workes big deal. There radios suck. I would rather have a good signal then perfect multitasking.

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It seems to be a pretty big deal for a lot of people. And HTC radios are not known to be very good either. In fact many are having issues with fluctuating signals with the One X. I think I'll wait until the S3 is out in the US before I judge whether or not the radios are any good.

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
thanks for all of the input. i was also looking at the SIII. i kinda like the software better, as it reminds me of a jailbroken iOS device, but with more polish.

it may be coming down to a matter of pricing though. the HOX seems to be considerably cheaper, yet have insane production quality for the money. i just hope that they support it, unlike some of their other phones.

should i just wait until the end of the year, and get a JB device?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arlecchino