Is the Note 7 worth upgrading to from the Note 4?

MrMELTDOWN

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Re: Note 7 or stick with Note 4?

Thanks D14H4RD and Aquila. It's as I've read before. I just wasn't sure if there was an app or some way that might enable more features on the Note 4 camera. IMO, this is a major drawback on the Note 4. I guess I wasn't missing anything.

Posted Via My Note 4 With Armor Coated Bullet Proof Otter Box

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Thanks D14H4RD and Aquila. It's as I've read before. I just wasn't sure if there was an app or some way that might enable more features on the Note 4 camera. IMO, this is a major drawback on the Note 4. I guess I wasn't missing anything.

Well, unless you really need those manual controls, the camera on the Note 4 is still a good shooter, even in this day and age.

However, if you are considering an upgrade, and don't really care for removable batteries, the Note7 is a pretty good upgrade.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Yes, they made a trade-off. That many of us can agree with.

However, in the process, they made a better overall package. It's a trade-off that works for a lot of us.

You can also scale down the screen resolution of the note 7.

Posted via the Android Central App

MrMELTDOWN

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site

Well, unless you really need those manual controls, the camera on the Note 4 is still a good shooter, even in this day and age.

However, if you are considering an upgrade, and don't really care for removable batteries, the Note7 is a pretty good upgrade.

I'll manage to live with the Note 4 about a year longer I think. I'll certainly be and have been able make do with the camera as is. Still though, a few added features would be nifty as I'm not always lugging around my SLR.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

You can also scale down the screen resolution of the note 7.

Doesn't really affect the resolution of the camera itself (probably just the viewfinder and gallery), but it's a nifty feature, especially for performance and power-saving.

Tech2011

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on the Note 7 being a worthwhile upgrade from the Note 4.

I still use my Note 4 from T-Mobile, but I'll be done with the EIP payments in December, so that could be a good time for me to get the Note 7. I am really interested in it, but the price is the only downside in my mind. The price really is the only thing that might make me consider waiting a while before upgrading.

What do people think of the Note 7 when comparing it with the Note 4?
My Note 4 still works well for me (not sluggish, the battery life is sufficient for me), but I really am interested in the Note 7. The new design looks very attractive and of course it would be nice to get a spec bump.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Personally I think it is a fantastic upgrade. But that's me. I had the Note 4 and while it was fantastic as well the 7 has many many upgrades that make it worth it alone.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
The Note 7 is definitely a worthy upgrade. IMO, Samsung phones took a huge performance hike starting with the S7, in terms of battery life and overall smoothness of the OS. Since you're so close to the end of your EIP, I would pay it off and either sell it or keep it as a backup. What do you owe, about $100?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It's up to you to decide what is of value to you of course. For me, I would but each person has to judge what value it provide. Note 7 improvements over the Note 4 are:
- 64GB base storage
- IP68 Water Resistance
- Way better and faster Camera. Better FFC as well, wide angle and low-light. Better camera software, fast launcher (double-tap home button is great).
- Bigger Battery
- Much better fingerprint scanner --> Samsung Pay
- Faster Processor, faster GPU
- More RAM
- Improved display in every area
- Built in Wireless charging and fast wireless charging *
- Awesome new power-saving modes with customizable Display resolutions (can take it down to 1080 or 720p, can lower CPU usage, etc)
- Always on Display with 3rd Party notifications
- Improved S-Pen goodness (Improved screen-off memos, Glance PiP, auto-GIFs, etc)
- Dual auto-brightness sensors
- Iris Scanner (if you care, I don't)
- USB-C
- Gorilla Glass 5
- MIMO 4 x 4 potentially
- Secure Folders

And as a bonus:
- Freebies at purchase, like a 256gb sd card or Gear Fit 2

* Edit: Added Fast wireless charging

Also, A/C just did an article on it . And there is another post about it here:

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think that you missed fast wireless charging. The Note 4 could do standard wireless charging with the optional wireless charging back

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on the Note 7 being a worthwhile upgrade from the Note 4.

I still use my Note 4 from T-Mobile, but I'll be done with the EIP payments in December, so that could be a good time for me to get the Note 7. I am really interested in it, but the price is the only downside in my mind. The price really is the only thing that might make me consider waiting a while before upgrading.

What do people think of the Note 7 when comparing it with the Note 4?
My Note 4 still works well for me (not sluggish, the battery life is sufficient for me), but I really am interested in the Note 7. The new design looks very attractive and of course it would be nice to get a spec bump.

Uh totally

Commodus

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Thankfully, a lot has changed in two years... I'd say it's worth the upgrade, especially if you like to take photos. The low light performance will be much better.

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I am currently using the Note 4 and my contract was originally up in Sept. I paid off the phone early to be able to get the upgrade.

I use my stylus 365 and between that and the water/dust resistant, to me it's worth it. having kiddos and roommates, I also look forward to the locked folder. and I can't wait for the Themes and icon packs!

Tech2011

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't know the exact amount I have left on my EIP, but I know that December will be the last payment since I got the Note 4 in December of 2014.

I am very intrigued by all of the improvements in the Note 7, but the price tag is the one downside. Of course, if I do get it, then I'll do it on the EIP because there is no way that I will buy it upfront.

I think I will get the Note 7 once I'm done with the EIP for my Note 4.
Far and away, the most interesting features to me are the new display features, the IP68 rating, and the new S-Pen features.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe